[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey br/o/s, I really want a motorcycle but I have zero knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: Screenshot_2016-03-08-22-03-25.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-08-22-03-25.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
Hey br/o/s, I really want a motorcycle but I have zero knowledge about them. After a bit of lurking I've learned that Harleys are prone to boomer tax and hence overpriced. I'm not really about one brand or another, all I want is a reliable bike that looks good.

Price preferably lower, since I'll have to save up for insurance, which I assume will rape me being under 25.

All I care is that it's not a sports bike (I don't really like the look) and I'm not a big fan bikes with a lot of storage compartments. I believe the term might be softails? It'd be a cruising bike not a DD or anything, and I'd only really get to use it like half the year because winter.

Sorry for the awful picture, it's a Blackline Harley that I liked.

TLDR, looking for reliable American looking bike that requires the least amount of maintenance, even if the entry cost suffers for it. Halp.
>>
Yamaha bolt
>cheap
>reliable 950
>Tons of aftermarket
>cheap to insure
>twice the bike for almost half the price as a sporty
>>
>>14607432
V-star 1100. V twin, Air cooled and carbed, sweet looking bike.
>>
>>14607432

New Kawasaki Vulcan Tourer: $16,699

New Harley Street Glide:$20,899

Keep both for the term of the loan, and see where that extra 4 grand went when it's time to sell it. Not to mention fit and finish. Oh, and some sweet Brembo brakes on the Harley. Much better than the pleb Nissin squeezers on the ricer.
>>
File: 1457490929685[1].png (52KB, 549x492px) Image search: [Google]
1457490929685[1].png
52KB, 549x492px
>Harley Davidson
>ever

get a honda rebel 750, dirt cheap and reliable
>>
>>14607522
>>cheap
>>14607681
>dirt cheap

Seeing a pattern among Jap enthusiasts here.
>>
Grom is a forgiving and cheap bike to work with for new riders, it is only 149 cc so it can't go on a highway but it's a good bike for learning on and plenty of sick mawds for it.
>>
File: harleycuck.jpg (95KB, 578x712px)
harleycuck.jpg
95KB, 578x712px
>>14607703
stay mad harley is garbage
>>
>>14607742
>stay mad harley is garbage

>implying I'm mad
>implying I haven't forgotten more about motorcycles than this fag will ever learn.
>>
File: dth.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
dth.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>>14607748
I would want to forget everything related to motorcycles aswell if it all consisted of how shit harley-davdison is
>>
>>14607432
Buy cheap bike off of craigslist first, i'd recommend a dualsport. They are usually good beginner bikes, hold their value well and are easy to sell, once you get riding comfortably for a while buy any jap cruiser of your choice.
>>
>>14607703
a pattern of financially responsible people?

>i can buy bike A for $7000. bike A has a smaller but more affordable aftermarket, is more reliable, handles better, is more comfortable, and has a more usable power band for a small cruiser

>i can buy bike B for $10,000. bike B has a larger but shittier following, has less power, handles worse, is more uncomfortable to ride and will cost more to fix, but has a larger aftermarket and if you put a set of bars on it you can look like JAX bro

which bike would you buy?
>>
>>14608616
>i can buy bike B for $10,000. bike B has a larger but shittier following, has less power, handles worse, is more uncomfortable to ride and will cost more to fix,

Bike B, because other than muh power, everything you said is your opinion.
>>
>>14608665
>bike B because all i care about is the badge on the side of the tank and setting off car alarms. its only going to get ridden 30 miles a year anyways

fixed that for you
>>
>>14607656
Harley a shit, kinda like your decision making skills
>>
>>14608673
>this is what people who have never ridden bike B think
I love the shit out of mine. So comfortable and it's my DD in the warm months. Averaging 8k miles per season commuting to work and cruising around.
>>
>>14608673
>fixed that for you
If telling yourself that makes you feel better, have at it.
>>
>>14608682
>Harley a shit,

And that's all you have. Don't address the facts of resale value, better brakes, far better paint and chrome quality. Same reason I buy Toyota trucks. I don't fuck with pleb-tier shit. Buy once, cry once, faggot.
>>
>Harley

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html
>>
>>14607432
Go read the motorcycle sticky.

Harley reliability, if you can't work on them yourself, is worse than a comparable Jap bike.

Insuramce on started motorcycles can be oretty goos.

The proper term is a cruiser. Softtails are a kind of bike that looks like it's a hardtail (no rear suspension), bit actually has suspension hidden away.

>>14607796
This. Get to know what you like first. Don't go into the motorcycle market with all of your budget without knowing what you really want.

>>14608616
You don't buy a cruiser for the handling, and Harleys are comfy as fuq. They don't have to cost more to fix.
>>
File: 1455428372131.png (211KB, 503x446px) Image search: [Google]
1455428372131.png
211KB, 503x446px
>>14608673
>fixed that for you

kek, literally because it is a harley
>>
>>14608774
>cam chain tensioners are shit
>high speed wobble
>lifter failure
>shift drum failure
>belt drive is shit
>stupid crankshaft design
>bad chrome
>internal oil leaks
>spark plugs incorrectly torqued
>high mileage resale value plummets
>big bore aircooled engines run hot
>V-Rod valvetrain maintenance is a bitch
>excessive oil changes
>weak transmissions
>bad mechanics
>weak oil pump
>oil breather issues
>wonky electronics
>high theft rate (and insurance rate)
>clutch cable impossible to fix
>crankshaft output wobbles
>weak starter gear
>cheap bearings
He does repeat crankshaft, running hot and gearbox issues quite a few times though.
>>
>>14607432
protip, the bike you posted in OP is a Soft Tail genius.
>>
File: crankwalk2.jpg (123KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
crankwalk2.jpg
123KB, 640x480px
>>14609473
>>14608774
Yeah, flat bearing cranks are a brilliant idea.
>>
>>14607721
149cc? What have you been smoking
>>
>>14609478
Did he not just say that he doesn't knownshit about bikes. Why don't you help instead of shitpoat faggot
>>
>>14609556
>Did he not just say that he doesn't knownshit about bikes.
Er, yes. I did. Hense why I made an informative post in the most blunt way possible.
>Why don't you help instead of shitpoat faggot
You should talk faggot. Would you like me to make up bullshit instead? You need your head examined.
>>
Would you?

I kinda like them.
>>
>>14609597
Given how much problems my dad's had with his, no. If I wanted an unreliable, beatiful retro bike, I'd get a Guzzi.
>>
>>14607522
>Yamaha bolt
Wow I actually love this

>>14607681
>get a honda rebel 750, dirt cheap and reliable
This looks breddy cool too, but I think I like the bolt better.

Thanks guys, also to the guy that did sticky I didn't realize you guys had one, but thanks for the great advice.

I'll look on Craigs. What should mileage be like on New England bikes? I'm assuming it should be pretty low..
>>
>>14607432
>Wanting a V Twin.

Get a Triumph master race anon.
>>
>>14609683
Elaborate.
>>
>>14611737
He's got a Bonnie Speedmaster. Main problem he's had was fuel injection, which didn't provide a good throttle response at all. Also, it was completely undersprung from the factory, so he went through 3 different Michelin tires in no time and almost lost it four times, with the front end just sliding away. Finally sent the front end off to an aftermarket rebuilder, which fixed the issue. Of course he didn't have a kit ready to go for the Speedmaster, he did for the Bonneville, but the spring rates had to be a bit different. Took about three weeks (fortunately in the off-season) to fix that.
>>
harley's are fine, i have a 1991 with 100000km on it going strong

probably not a great first bike... look for an 80s honda shadow .. they're all over, in decent shape and easy to work on and you won't cry if you break it
>>
>>14611802
>didn't provide a good throttle response at all.
Same with about 70% of new motorcycles off the lot. With the Triumph, this can be fixed with a $20 USB cable and a crack version of Tuneboy software. While I don't think the 875 injected Trumpets are the best in terms of throttle action, they sure as he'll ain't bad.
> Also, it was completely undersprung from the factory
As is with just about every motorcycle lacking adjustable legs.
If you consider these common superficial gripes as "much problems", then you probably shouldn't own a motorcycle, as all of them could do with minor tuning to suit individual owners, especially in the suspension stakes.
>>
>>14611895
Yeah, but the lack of throttle response was really bad. Like, hardware issue, not software issue. Thankfully it was on warranty and they replaced it with a functioning system.

If it's so severly underpsrung that the front end will skid out in front of you in a calm, controlled turn and it speed wobbles, something's wrong. They claim it was according to factory spec, but if that's factory spec I'm afraid to ride that, and I'm used to a late 60's leading link fork. Hell, I'm used to shitty old bikes in general, but that thing took the cake for high speed instability, lack of throttle response and front end grip.
>>
>>14611926
>>14611895
Note: if you're scaring a guy that's used to a shitty bike, designed in the sixties, with a 3.25''x18'' bias ply front tire, backed up by a creaky leading link front suspension and a 4 inch drum brake, you're doing it wrong.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.