[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /o/ Looking to buy a car as a student in Europe. I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: PEUGEOT407-492_10.jpg (597KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
PEUGEOT407-492_10.jpg
597KB, 1200x799px
Hi /o/

Looking to buy a car as a student in Europe. I don't have a huge budget (mainly because the insurance is expensive af)

I'm looking for a larger-ish car that can handle highways well but with an engine around 1.8-2L, no bigger (insurance).
I love riding my bicycle so a car wouldn't be something I'd only use for commuting. It will mainly be so I can visit around, make some trips, maybe even go home with it or visit relatives around the EU, go skiing etc. I'm also not looking for a car to last me 10 years. I am good with tools, electronics, etc but I don't have any experience specifically related to cars. I'm prepared to fix some minor things about the car (I'll probably do that no matter what) but I don't want to disassemble the whole engine. I'm fine with manual but if automatic were an option I'd prefer that if it comes into discussion.

So far the characteristics I've been looking for were that the car isn't older than 2005 and doesn't go over 200k km. Of course I would be extremely happy to hear your opinion on this.

These are some cars I've looked at so far:

Peugeot 407-
I know this car because my parents have one. I know it has flaws but it's also very comfortable and handles highways decently. I'm a tall guy and I need a longer car to enable me to feel comfortable at the wheel.

Mazda 6 -
Similar car, similar price from what I've seen. Don't know anything else about it.

Audi A4 - more expensive but it's an option
VW Passat - same as the Audi

Citroen C5 - it's also a car.

I've also looked at some merc's c- and e-klasse that are a bit more expensive and with more than 200k km but the insurance is much pricier for those.

So, /o/, I'd be extremely grateful for your expertise on this. Nothing I said is set in stone as long as you have some very good arguments. Please let me know what you think or at least if you could give me some guidelines to be careful of: how old is too old, how many km are too many etc. Thank you.
>>
>>14603064
Get a dacia
>>
>>14603064
twingo
or vectra c after lifting
>>
>>14603155
vectra looks alright, but it's surprisingly pricey if it's from this millenia, esp. if it's from after 2005. Will keep it in mind though.
>>
>>14603147
why would anyone want to buy a rebadged renault clio from 1999?
>>14603155
again with the french shit stop being gay
>>14603230
vectra's use fiat diesels and the petrols arent so great in a heavy car.
I would go for SKoda octavia , VW passat , ford modeo or SAAB 9-3
>>
Get a 318ti or 320i and fuck your bike, it's not likr you'll want to touch it anymore
>>
File: opel-insignia-interior-287319.jpg (423KB, 1600x1081px) Image search: [Google]
opel-insignia-interior-287319.jpg
423KB, 1600x1081px
>>14603064
Insignia

>wide selection of engines (automatic comes only with the 2.0T or tar engines though)
>more reliable than anything from VAG or the French
>comfy
>4 body style choices
>>
>>14603064
From your selection of cars, I would pick a C5. Petrol engines are pretty much bulletproof (except the 2.0 HPI, avoid this one like the plague), ride is comfy as fuck, generous interior space. Quite ugly though. Same platform as the 407, same engines available. Less expensive than the 407.

Maybe have a look at second gen Mondeos ? Assuming you're in Germany, you should be able to find a well kept one easily. 1.8 125hp is sufficient for the car and sounds nice, plus it has a timing chain so no need to worry about timing belt. Be prepared to change brake rotors and pads quite often. Other than that no big problems.

Mondeos and C5s won't be expensive to maintain. Mercs and VAGs on the other hand...

For all the cars you've named, avoid diesel engines. Flywheel/clutch/fuel pump/particle filter problems are common.
>>
>>14603317
Thank you for the reasonable words and advice. Never considered avoiding diesel, actually thought they last longer. Shows what I know...

I'll look harder into the C5 then, I did kinda disconsider it because I just don't really like how it looks.
>>
>>14603479
The C5 offers one of the comfiest rides, thanks to the hydropneumatic suspension system. Easily on par with the last S-Class. I'd recommend you to test drive one. The hydractive 3 suspension was a standard feature in the 1st gen C5. In the 2nd gen it was optional, so keep that in mind.
>>
File: Renault_Twingo_front_20080709.jpg (98KB, 1617x1146px) Image search: [Google]
Renault_Twingo_front_20080709.jpg
98KB, 1617x1146px
>>14603064
>>
>>14603307
>Vauxhall/Opel/GM
>Reliable
Confirmed for not owning one. My family have owned nothing but Vauxhalls for like 12 years, and I swear it's a form of Stockholm syndrome at this point.
>>
File: 1431690361500.png (25KB, 775x646px) Image search: [Google]
1431690361500.png
25KB, 775x646px
>>14603605
>GM meme
Please.

I didn't say "reliable", I said "more reliable than anything from VAG" Should I say "less unreliable" to satisfy your memes?

If OP wants to buy a reliable car, they should get an Avensis.
>>
>>14603672
your venn doesn't really satisfy because I don't need anything speedy. I need it to maintain the legal 130 km/h on the highway without rattling but I don't plan on racing with it, just enough power to allow me to overtake.

I've been searching a lot around today and right now I'm pretty stuck on the mazda 3, I think it's quite good and would suit me very well. Any suggestions, comments?
>>
>>14603941
It's not like Insignia is a fast car, OPC aside.

Mazda 3 is a small car. If you didn't say you wanted a "larger-ish" car, I'd suggest Cruze 1.8 NA, Volvo S60 or a Civic.

None of them with diesel.
>>
>>14603993
>Cruze
I don't think those are priced very competitievely over here.
Different Eurofag, btw.
>>
File: chevrolet-cruze-LTZ.jpg (36KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet-cruze-LTZ.jpg
36KB, 600x300px
>>14604000
Really? They're bretty cheap in Czechia. Just checked, 2,d gen Mazda3 is almost exactly the same price range as Cruze (which has more body styles, one of the things I like about it).
>>
>>14604037
>2,d
2nd
>>
>>14603993
Then I apologise for my unknowing. I did some more research and saw that I, at 6'3", would be comfortable in a mazda 3.

I have a limited experience with cars that is why I am cautious. I revise my words to include cars as small as the mazda 3.

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll be looking into them.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.