[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about driving big rigs when I get out of high school.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Thinking about driving big rigs when I get out of high school. Looks like they make good money with benefits if you do OTR, whihc I want to. What am I getting myself into?
>>
Wear sunscreen.
>>
>>14601122

see >>14583388
>>
>>14601145
I know the logistical shit already
>>
>>14601166
That's the trucking general thread. The schooling shit is there because it's always asked about.
>>
>>14601122
Go to college or a real trade school instead.
>>
>>14601122
Sorry, posted this >>14601188

Also, getting a Class A right out of high school will be tough because most companies want you to be 21 or 23 to drive their trucks because of insurance regs and shit. It is hard to find decent jobs under 21. And I think basically anything interstate is 21+.
>>
>>14601138
modern windows have UV protection
>>
>>14601196
Well I know I can get the CDL at 18, and do no companies hire for intrastate?
>>
>>14601122
It gets lonely, really lonely

also dont you have to be like 25 or something for insurance reasons

you will never be paid a crazy amount
>>
>>14601214
It isn't just interstate. Even local companies rarely hire under 21 or 23. It's all because of their insurance policies. Costs a shit ton to insure an 18 year old driving a commercial truck.

Go get some computer certifications or something instead. Driving trucks isn't that great. Most of is are only doing it because we fucked up earlier in life.
>>
>>14601122
Also there is the pay situation.

OTR company drivers make like $35k-$45k a year. Which isn't shit for having to live in a damn truck. You can make $40k-$50k doing bullshit local jobs like me but it is bust ass work. Eventually you can get on a fuel tanker or something decent local and try to make like $60k, but it will take years to get there and you will still work a shit ton of hours.

Only real way to make good money is owning your own truck. And even then if you want to make real money, you are still living in a truck.
>>
>>14601280
I love driving though and I've been camping in shitty popup trailers my whole life, and like it. I feel like sleeping in a cab wouldn't be much different
>>
>>14601312
I like driving too which is why I ended up doing it. Wanted to be a pilot but fucked that up early. But then you will figure out driving isn't all that it's cracked up to be. There is a lot of other stress and bullshit that comes with it and the money isn't always worth it.

You got a couple years before you can really do it anyway. You should seriously try and get some trade school or community college shit in first. If you still hate those paths by the time you are 22, go get a CDL. There are lots of other career fields with more room for growth and promotions compared to trucking.
>>
>>14601122
Learn to love audio books
>>
>>14601406
I get down on sports radio for the most part.

Podcasts aren't too bad either. I like Comedy Bang Bang and some of the other Earwolf stuff.
>>
>>14601446
My dad is a trucker, he has tons of music to listen to and gets new audio books from the library every week when he's home.

He's also like 48 though.
>>
>>14601406
I was thinking I'd use podcats, and it seems like a lot of people agree
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.