[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have advice on how to find my cars cornering limits while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

Anyone have advice on how to find my cars cornering limits while I'm driving on unfamiliar roads? When I fly into a corner I feel like I understeer like crazy because I'm using the brakes but I feel like I'm going too fast if I don't use the brakes. I drive a midengine RWD platform with a slightly staggered tire setup. Running Michelin pilot super sports. I did notice that on lesser tires I hear them screaming when im hitting the limits but I never hear the PSS make any sound.... does this mean I'm not hitting the limit or do they just not making noise under heavy steering?
>>
Take it past the limits on a nice safe track then you'll know where they are.
>>
>>14601072
I would love to do that.... but there is no track near me... plus it's kind of expensive. I'll try to do that though...
>>
What kind of car is it?

Anyway, if you're buying supersports for it then you can afford to go to the track.

The alternative is you go into weight shift oversteer in a rear weight biased car with no prior experience to fighting it, with the speed you break loose amplified by the greater grip limits of top-end performance street tires.

This means you'll be dead and then you'll never find the cornering limits.

The last MR car I had was a CaymanS, and while it's far more forgiving than most MR cars it would still bite you on the track if you were an idiot with it.
>>
>>14601101
That's actually the car I'm driving.

I've been driving for a long time and I can drive it pretty smooth as is... I just wanted to be able to push it more. I'm asking for advice to prevent an accident in the future. What do you do to find safe cornering limits for your car?
>>
Really, the only way to learn how to push a car like that is on the track. Once you've learned how it behaves at its "real" limit - which doesn't come into effect until you're going past 200kmhr - driving harder on the road without endangering yourself will feel like a kid's game.

Big thing to learn when it comes to being fast in an MR car is to properly load up the suspension with braking before corners, to force the weight to shift - it'll completely cut out understeer. Any throttle at all on corner entry will lead to you understeering like a big, same with trying to coast through the corner.

This also means you'll get used to liftoff oversteer from coming off the brakes too harshly on turn in - which will get you killed on the road but you can correct it on the track, or at worst run off onto the shoulder for a minute.
>>
>>14601179
That makes me feel like my main issue to how I'm applying the brakes. Maybe I'm braking too late which is causing me to trailbrake into the corner. I also feel like I'm not easing into the braking like I should.
>>
If you've only driven on the road and you don't dadbrake, you've probably only ever used a tiny percent of the braking force the car can make.

For weight shifting you need to do threshold braking, basically downing the brakes to just before ABS engagement.

As for braking technique - you want to go onto the brakes hard and come off them smoothly. This allows the weight to balance out better and makes the car less prone to snapping. This is also a bad idea to try to learn on the street.

Recommend going to the track - remember that the MR2's suspension isn't compromised at all, its high crashicide rate is entirely down to people not knowing how an MR car works when shoved around.
>>
Fug - MR2 being the most accessible / popular MR car in comparison to the Cayman which is becoming cheaper/more accessible nowdays, that is.
>>
>>14601223
>>basically downing the brakes to just before ABS engagement.

How do I figure out this?

>>As for braking technique - you want to go onto the brakes hard and come off them smoothly.

Is this before corner entry?
>>
>>14601052
Why are you using the brakes while cornering? That could cost you and the people around you some lives. Unknown roads too. You're a dumb cunt.
>>
Well, find the point ABS kicks in, basically - from about 80kph on a broad and empty road, throw your whole leg hard down on the brake like a minivan mom and you'll see an ABS light come on on the tach gauge as ABS saves you from brake lock and potential death. Then you need to brake less hard than that.

And yeah, you want to brake in a straight line to begin with before even starting to steer. Once you get properly used to MR handling you can afford to dive into the corner while trailbraking a bit but it's inviting trouble to do it without good technique.
>>
Also never trailbrake on public roads, because a road surface is not reliable like a track's one.
>>
>>14601284
Any advice on blind sweepers? Corners with elevation change?
>>
File: Deadman's Sign.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Deadman's Sign.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>14601313
Don't fear the reaper
>>
On the open road, don't even try to push it on blind corners or crests or anything like that -
At the very best if you do something like that you'll understeer into the wrong lane for a moment and at that point you should rightly have a panic attack for what could have been there.

On the track is different, but I gather you're more talking about the open road.
>>
>>14601052
I found as long as your car isn't that difficult to drive (mr2) , just be really aggressive with your steering inputs, you can feel the limits of the grip, but your car's momentum won't follow and you won't be needing to do 200km/h through residential areas.
>>
>>14601052
SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. It sounds like you haven't yet discovered how to feel what the car is doing. You are an accident waiting to happen if you are driving in a reactive manner (reacting to what the car is doing) near the limit.

When you can really feel the car out the limits stop being

>If I go over this I loose control

and become

>If I go over this I will end up taking the corner slowly because I have to gather the car back up

Also, don't listen to this fuck >>14601380, he literally has no idea how to drive. He posts stupid shit like this in every thread where driving technique pops up.
>>
>>14601052
read initial d.
you'll be a pro driver soon.
>>
>find my cars cornering limits while I'm driving on unfamiliar roads?

Short answer is you don't. There is a reason even pro racers drive reasonably at first to get familiar with the track, before gradually start pushing bit by bit.
>>
>>14602677
i found the limits of grip in the mazda 6 rental car i got the first day i had it and i can hit it any time i want now, so i dont know what youre on about. without going to a track you cant just hit 100% of the cars limits, especially without knowing the road, and not expect anything to go wrong. by purposly snapping the steering wheel and intentionally getting understeer its pretty easy to tell right then and there where the limits of grip will be and seeing as 99% of cars that leave the factory will be setup to understeer out of the box it would be safe to assume op doesnt gave to worry about spinning out or oversteering through a tree.

you also dont take a normal line for this, i usually go way late into the corner, going much slower than i would if i was actually trying to drive fast, then snap the wheel and try to get understeer by the end of the corner im usually going slow but i made the wheels break loose and the next time i can do it a little faster until i can just take the corner as fast as i want without overdoing it.

i.e. break traction in a low speed environment by snapping the wheel, then get more comfortable doing it higher speed. thats where the limits are
>>
>>14601052
>inb4 you're the guy who bought his dad's MR2 for $100 last week
>>
With the Michelin, the margin between, I won't scream, we'll make this corner easy and here comes the wall is pretty narrow, so you really shouldn't try it on the road.
>>
>>14603803
Horrible syntax but yes, find a closed course or a big empty parking lot late at night with nothing around you.
>>
>>14603779
Yeah like I said. You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>14601052
>how to find my cars cornering limits while I'm driving on unfamiliar roads?
>how to find my cars cornering limits on unfamiliar roads
>finding my cars limits
>on unfamiliar roads

Here's your first piece of advice, OP.

Don't drive like an idiot on unfamiliar roads, because who knows what lays ahead, whether it's corners, crests, intersections etc.

If you want to learn the limits of your car then take it to the track honestly. If you spin out on the track it's no big deal, but if you spin out on the road in the wrong spot it's game over.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.