[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sub $1000 craigslist car would make for a decent low budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: cody-crane-honda-crx-rally-car.jpg (87KB, 950x480px) Image search: [Google]
cody-crane-honda-crx-rally-car.jpg
87KB, 950x480px
What sub $1000 craigslist car would make for a decent low budget rally car platform? Why?
>>
Anything. Because you'd be modifying it a lot.
>>
Mother fucking panther platform
>>
taurus sho
>>
Shitbox focus, good chassis.
>>
>>14591222
2001 corolla

handles like a beast
>>
>>14591252
>>14591258
aren't those pretty heavy
>>
>>14591229
This. Doesn't matter what you buy because you're just going to gut it out and install roll protection and performance parts.
>>
>>14591290
it will help in the long run when you aren't slowed down as much from running over spectators
>>
rwd? fwd? awd?
>>
>>14591334
Doesn't matter either.
>>
>>14591334
You'll be separated by class. So drivetrain won't matter because everyone else will have the same drivetrain. That said, avoid rwd.
>>
>>14591287
Second for 8th gen, could probably fit a 2zz in there for high revving madness
>>
>>14591222
What kind of rally will you be performing in?
>>
>>14591351
what do you mean?
not rallyX
>>
File: hitting the dirt.jpg (110KB, 1296x864px) Image search: [Google]
hitting the dirt.jpg
110KB, 1296x864px
My Nissan Stanza?
>>
File: hyundai-i20-wrc-001-1.jpg (88KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
hyundai-i20-wrc-001-1.jpg
88KB, 750x422px
A Hyundai
>>
>>14591222

Civic is ok because of quite long suspension travel however rwd is nicer for dirtroads.
>>
Saabs are super cheap right now
>>
>>14591752
you should have rallied your crx ya cunt
>>
>>14591343
why avoid rwd?
>>14591852
why is rwd nicer?
>>14591979
arent saabs heavy and prone to breaking and being expensive to repair?
>>14591792
yeah a 2014 hyundai i20 would be nice for under $1000
>>
>>14591222
As a lot of other anons have already said, anything really since you'll be changing everything inside anyways.

A better question is what chassis will handle being off road better, since that will make or destroy your rally car. If you want lineage then get a Volvo 240, an old Impreza, an old Focus. If you want something weird, cheap and that can handle being off-road get a Dodge Neon. for the trully bizzare, get a Crown Vic. Police departments love them for a reason and that is they're almost tanks.

If I was in your shoes? I would pick a Geo Metro if you can find one strangely capable of roader and incredibly cheap nowadays.
>>
You want a Short wheel base FWD car, or an AWD car.

AWD will be expensive, so best bet would be to find a CRX, Civic, or focus.
>>
File: hyundaiaccentwrc003_0cd42.jpg (146KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hyundaiaccentwrc003_0cd42.jpg
146KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>14591988
neither of my CRXes have the suspension travel to handle dirt
Also, I would get a concussion very fast
>>
>>14591222

It won't matter because you won't be prepping said car for anything less than another 6-7k at minimum, and that's if you cheap out on suspension for a while. Cages alone that meet Rally America and NASA specifications cost an average of $3000. A set of rebuildable gravel suspension is gonna be another $2-3k for an entry-level setup, and then you still have to factor in the high cost of tires and other safety/convenience components such as approved seats.

If you want a cheap rally experience, just get into rallycross. You could legitimately do that with a bare-bones $1000 craigslist car.
>>
>>14593806
like my nissan stanza
>>
>>14592002
>aren't Saabs heavy pieces of shit
Yeah that's why they are so cheap. That said, they are the cheapest turbo cars you can buy, at least from what I've seen. You could probably strip it down and tune the engine and have a pretty good rally shitbox
>>
>>14591343
>avoid rwd
> prefur fwd
>>
Shitbox corolla
Saab 900/9-3
03-05 cavalier
>>
How does one get into rallycars as a hobby?

Other than have money.

All I ever see around san diego are those touge meetups full of civics
>>
>>14594095
>Other than have money
Have a lot of money... there really isn't anyway of getting around safety equipment, cost of modifying/installing parts, and the inevitable breaking of said parts. It's one of the most brutal motor sports around.
>>
>>14594037
Rally is entirely different from circuits. A FWD or AWD vehicle won't oversteer as much and are easier to handle while on said dirt. In the 60's, FWD dominated rally with the Mini. If you're going to go for the group B meme, the best performing cars on there were AWD.
>>
>>14594095
Hey you're from San Diego too? I'm trying to get into rally too but you're totally right, just shitty meets and AutoX. We don't even have an active RallyX scene.
>>
Get an elantra.
>>
klze into an mx-3. You could probably gut it and be down around 2200lbs with 200hp NA
>>
>>14591290
panther yes.
1&2 gen sho. not really.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.