[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /o/. I'm young, not very educated in the workings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1359066327181.jpg (872KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1359066327181.jpg
872KB, 3840x2160px
Hello, /o/. I'm young, not very educated in the workings of loans and paying things off and in need of a new vehicle and some guidance on how things work.

I'm just over halfway to my goal ($12k) for a Honda Civic and my current car is damn near on it's last leg and I doubt it'll last me the next few months until I can afford my next vehicle.

Would I have a better time going to a dealership with $6k in cash and buying half and then paying off the rest via payments or making larger monthly payments up to the tune of what I owe?

I've tried googling various options and ideas, and almost all of them say it's best to do it either all in full or all in payments and not a split.
>>
>>14590682
>not very educated in the workings of loans
All you need to know is not to get one.
>>
>>14590687
So, it's best, if I can, to hold out and try to pay all in cash? Would haggling with cash maybe lower the price? I've seen stuff like that in movies, but is it something that actually happens?
>>
>>14590690
No it won't reduce the price as dealer get incentives to sell loans but it will keep from getting screwed on a loan rate by not getting one.

Cash only works with private sellers.

Whats wrong with your current car?
>>
Just get a lease
>>
>>14590682
>dealership
>civic
>$12k
>payments

Every single one of those is a bad idea.
>>
Just get a used car, sold privately and whatever you do, do not get a fucking loan for a car.
>>
Buy 12 civics from private sellers
>>
>>14590695
Current is a 98 Chevy Cavalier, 228k miles. It's old, Check Engine light came on a few days ago and won't go away, hoping it's just the catalytic converter like it's been the past few times and I can just have it cleared. Transmission feels sluggish at lower gears and I can freely change gears without pushing the thumb button on the shifter (It's Automatic). It's also had problems with the cooling in which if I'm stuck in slower traffic, it nearly overheats. Taken it to the shop twice for that problem and still haven't gotten any results.
>>
>>14590721
I live in a very rural area, it's tough to find what you're wanting privately sold.
>>
>>14590682
Do not buy a new civic. You can buy such great used cars instead of a boring econobox.
Wrx, evo, 350z, s15, and various other fun, fast cars, depending on location.
>>
>>14590705
2012 Civic XE 50k miles.
I checked it out on KBB and it said a high fair price is around 12k.
>>
>>14590824
I don't care for fun or fast, I like dependable and good gas mileage. I don't care about looking like everyone else, just as long as it gets my to my job.
>>
>>14590836
Get the FUCK off my board normie
>>
>>14590836
Buy an old lancer if you want a car that barely uses fuel, and doesn't need looking after.
Seriously, save yourself the 10 grand
>>
OP is a moron, let him waste his money on whatever stupid shit he wants.
>>
>>14590875
Ah, sorry, didn't realize this entire board was made for only the elitist of faggots. Excuse me for not devoting my entire life towards vehicles and knowing everything fresh out the gate of adulthood.
>>
OP you're better off just finding something in the price range of what you have in cash right now. You can easily get a reliable, fuel efficient car for 6 grand.
>>
>>14590880
Just get something used and save your damn money
>>
>>14590824
S15's are rice taxed to 15k around these parts
>>
>>14590836
Get a new Nissan Micra, they'll cost you $10k for the manual the auto is a bit more.
>>
>>14590814
Ah yeah not worth putting money into it.

Anyways 6k will get you something in a lot better condition, so long as you stick with something japanese.
>>
File: 1454790785858.png (167KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
1454790785858.png
167KB, 444x440px
>>14590848
>suggests a lancer as something dependable
>>
>>14590682
Personally I would go the other way, find a mid-2000s civic (or other) for $6k and just buy it outright in cash.

If you were to have say $24k in cash and could secure a loan at 0% or near financing, then it would make more sense to hold the cash in a separate account and take out a loan with scheduled payments.
>>
>>14590705
>dealerships
>bad idea

As opposed to what? Some sketchy faggot on craigslist?
>>
>>14590687
>>14590695
>>14590705
>>14590721
>hurr loans r bad
how the fuck else do you expect to build any sort of credit line, faggots?
>>
>>14591811
Regularly paying off bills and a small limit (~$1k) credit card like normal fucking people, instead of leveraging too much debt on a depreciating asset.
>>
>>14591811
There are better ways to build credit than getting bent over the table by some 5th tier dealer loan shark
>>
>>14591822
>>14591815
if you're not retarded you'll never get fucked over
>>
>>14591870
if you're not retarded, you probably won't take financing out on a vehicle you can't afford in the first place and instead by a shitbox for the cash you have in hand and drive it until you have a steady enough income and credit history to afford a loan on a nice vehicle.
>>
>>14591870
>>14591811
Also, I didn't say loans are bad. I said if you have enough to cash to buy a car outright, then you're far better off getting a low interest loan and keeping the cash in a high-yield account and making the monthly payments from it.
>>
>>14591890
>you're far better off getting a low interest loan and keeping the cash in a high-yield account and making the monthly payments from it.
those do not exist, unless you have like $2,000,000 in the account
>>
>>14591910
If you can secure a loan at 0%-1%, you can pretty easily find a savings account that pays out 1.10-1.20%.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.