[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi there! I'm stuck on the road with my manual car that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Image-918237236.jpg (416KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Image-918237236.jpg
416KB, 1024x576px
Hi there!
I'm stuck on the road with my manual car that wont shift gears anymore, the pedal is looser than normal and the gear stick has gone very loose, any ideas while i wait for the truck?

Car's a 2001 renault espace.
>>
>>14590335
Remove kabob?
>>
>>14590339
What's kabob?
>>
Clutch is dead, most likely. Could also have had something slip and die in the transmission.

Describe what happened

Chanches are it'll cost more to fix than the shitbox is worth
>>
File: 1381781134543.png (11KB, 470x454px) Image search: [Google]
1381781134543.png
11KB, 470x454px
Something similar happened to my civic when clutch master cylinder was fucked. Do these cars have a hydraulic clutch? Although that shouldn't have any effect on the shifter itself, just the clutch.

Your whole tranny is probably dead
>>
>>14590351
Started all of a sudden, was driving for 15 min and the pedal became soft.
Now managed to start pushing it in 1st but still cant change to any other gear.
>>
>>14590375
No not hydraulic
>>
Car has already been repaired once, engine moved and didn't make contact anymore. Could still be this?
>>
>>14590387
Sounds like a cable snapped. You still can drive it, Google clutch less shifting, if you're good at rev matching, that will take you home.
>>
keep posting on 4chan till truck arrives
>>
Gearstick link is probably detached
>>
>>14590381
So its basically stuck in first, and pressing the clutch does not allow you to shift nor does the car roll freely?

>>14590396 sounds about right
>>
It got stuck in neutral after I tried shifting, then managed to get it in reverse and finally into 1st by pushing it!
Arrived home in 1st!
At least I won't be paying the truck!
Pressing the clutch has no effect whatsoever.
>>
>>14590455
Is the pedal completely soft? Like, flat to the floor? If so it sounds like the slave cylinder might be broken. If so, be careful as it'll start to leak clutch fluid into the bell housing and can ruin your clutch or worse case, your flywheel.
>>
>>14590455
Gearbox itself feels/sounds fine in first, no rattling or weird noises?
>>
>>14590468
Not completely, its backed by a spring mechanism, but def softer than before.
>>14590469
Gb seems ok.
>>
>>14590475
You have a fucked slave or master cylinder (you do have a hydraulic clutch by the way). Just replace the whole package: Clutch kit (and a resurfaced flywheel depending on how old the original one is), slave, master.
>>
>>14590475
>Not completely, its backed by a spring mechanism, but def softer than before.
You managed to get home, yeah? Leave it for a while and check for any drips or wet spots under the car. But it sounds like either a slave cylinder or maybe the master cylinder.

Most cars will share a fluid bottle for Brake and clutch fluid. If possible, go and check the fluid levels as well. It -could- be possible the levels are low.
>>
>>14590484
Actually this is bad advice I gave here, nevermind. Check if it's the master, if it is, you can just replace that since it should be accessible without removing too much other stuff. If it turns out to be the slave though, you should just replace the whole clutch along with it since you'll most likely need to drop the tranny anyway.
>>
>>14590485
Ok ill place some cardboard under the bastard and check back tomorrow!
Also just been 2 days ago to get the oil filled up, is it possible they fucked up somehow?

>>14590507
You think it's possible for me to fix it?
Not much experience with cars but loads in bicycles and fixing tools/machines.
>>
OP use this as an excuse to take off work on monday and enjoy your long weekend
>>
>>14590703
Engine oil? Doubt it unless they went hooning when you weren't looking or they sabotaged it to get more work from you

15 year old Renault, anythingcan happen
>>
>>14590710
I enjoy my work and will bike there as I often do. Besides, with all the holidays I get I'd feel bad not showing up for such a nonsense.
>>
>>14590335
Sounds to me like the gears have slipped, you need to put the chain back on your push-bike anon
>>
>>14590719
I doubt it as I know them quite well, was just considering some mistake, dunno. Told ya I don't know much bout cars.
>>
>>14590838
But would I still have managed to get back into 1st and get home?
>>
>>14590853
The only things they could do wrong would be forgetting to tighten the drain plug, not putting the new filter on properly or using catastrophically wrong oil. And even in those cases it shouldn't matter as engine oil has nothing to do with clutch or gearbox
>>
>>14590703
Depends on what kinds of tools you have available. Dropping the tranny probably isn't really all that difficult even if you're not very experienced, but especially as a first-timer (and with the presumably retarded layout that I'd expect an Espace to have) you're going to appreciate a lift and stuff like that.

You're also going to want to download the Renault Dialogys thingy that contains all the repair manuals so you can look over the procedure beforehand and have a reference if you get stuck.

>>14590865
How exactly did you get it into 1st? Did you just force the lever in and use the synchro as a "clutch"?
>>
>>14590889
Hopped back in after 10 minutes walking around getting a few people to push, pressed the pedal put 1st in and started the car. It just worked.
Otherwise Its just dead.
>>
>>14590719
>sabotaged
fucking this
>>
>>14590944
Don't think so, we are good customers since my father started going to them more than 15 years ago.
>>
>>14591841
You drive a Renault, ofcourse they like you - you're a steady stream of income
>>
>>14591880
>steady stream of income

>4 repairs in 15 years
>oil & shit done for free
>>
Start simple. Which everyone in here refuses to advise.

As the general vibe is that it is hydraulic then just check the resavoir. If a slow leak developed you likely lost enough to get air in the system so you'd see the fluid drained.

If it is a big leak then the same damn thing would happen .
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.