[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/0 1/google-self-driving-ca

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 1456842999608s.jpg (7KB, 250x155px) Image search: [Google]
1456842999608s.jpg
7KB, 250x155px
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/01/google-self-driving-car-strikes-public-bus-in-california

BTFO
>>
Self-driving car being tested by Google struck a public bus on a Silicon Valley street, a minor accident that appears to be the first time one of the tech company's vehicles caused a crash during testing.
Google accepted at least some responsibility for the collision, which occurred on Feb. 14 when one of the Lexus SUVs it has outfitted with sensors and cameras hit the side of the bus near the company's headquarters in Mountain View, California.
No one was injured, according to an accident report Google wrote and submitted to the California Department of Motor Vehicles. It was posted online Monday.
According to the report, Google's car intended to turn right off a major boulevard when it detected sandbags around a storm drain at the intersection.
The right lane was wide enough to let some cars turn and others go straight, but the Lexus needed to slide to its left within the right lane to get around the obstruction.
The Lexus was going 2 mph when it made the move and its left front struck the right side of the bus, which was going straight at 15 mph.
The car's test driver -- who under state law must be in the front seat to grab the wheel when needed -- thought the bus would yield and did not have control before the collision, Google said.
While the report does not address fault, Google said in a written statement, "We clearly bear some responsibility, because if our car hadn't moved there wouldn't have been a collision."
Chris Urmson, the head of Google's self-driving car project, said in a brief interview that he believes the Lexus was moving before the bus started to pass.
"We saw the bus, we tracked the bus, we thought the bus was going to slow down, we started to pull out, there was some momentum involved," Urmson told The Associated Press.
He acknowledged that Google's car did have some responsibility but said it was "not black and white."
The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority said none of the 15 passengers or the driver of the bus was injured.
>>
>>14562219
Buses don't yield. I hate buses. The world doesn't revolve around you!
>>
>>14562396
Buses also have schedules and carry dozens of people. They shouldn't have to yield to your autistic ass so you can get to the local anime viewing party on time
>>
>>14562485
This, Ill let bus go around or whatever they need since it might cost me 30s, it will cost the people on the bus 30 x #. I can always just speed up after anywho
>>
>>14562615
>>14562485
just because ur a bus doens't mean ur above the law

change the law if you want to act like that. otherwise bye
>>
I RIDE THE BANG BUS
>>
Not to mention the other wrecks these cars have been in. Google has the best lawyers out there and can avoid being labeled as being at fault in all these incidents.

>I thought the bus would yield
Typical shitty rich lexus driver attitude to the whole thing. "Think the larger, slower, longer stopping bus that is on duty and has a schedule to make should yield to ME!"
>>
Its my belief that any completely automated technology should be kept under wraps for years after they think its ready.
>>
Well technically if the BUS was also auto driven and could talk to the jewgle car then this accident would have never happened.

Nobody seems to want to test these vehicles in anything but perfect dry sunny weather though which is troubling.

Apparently these vehicles cannot self drive if
>visibility is bad
>any kind of weather especially rain
Not sure about night time
>>
>>14565117
the bus was going 15 mph. It takes like 2 seconds to stop.
>>
>>14565137
How is it that I and the vast majority of drivers avoid crashing into things every single day? Because we have eye balls.
>>
>>14565137
which is ok because then a human can take over. Idk why people keep forgetting that part.
>>
>>14565153
The Lexus was going 2mph. It could have stopped faster than the bus, who again, is transporting people with lives and has a schedule to keep. Also lest mention the automated car going 2 fucking mph on a public road.
>>
>>14565117

The other wrecks have been people driving the car, and it getting rear ended.
>>
>>14565156

27k accidents per day, 10 million per year.

Im sorry but people do a shitty job not crashing.
>>
>>14565185
Couldn't avoid the accident regardless. The thing revolves around the philosophy of, "yield to me and there won't be any accident". Basically the same mentality of BMW and Lexus drivers.
>>
>>14565170
OK but you have to remember that the bus is in the same lane as the Lexus. Yes the lane is wide but the bus is technically behind the Lexus.

It should still be the duty of the bus to yield to the cars in front of it? No?
Instead it decided to pass even though the Lexus hadn't even left the lane yet.

Anyway, obviously this is beyond the typical bus driver so Google is adapting their software to take into account human stupidity.
>>
>>14565162
according to the report the driver didnt take over though.
>>14565210
Ive never crashed into another car but yeah i agree most people are shockingly bad drivers
>>
File: bfto.png (28KB, 1152x812px) Image search: [Google]
bfto.png
28KB, 1152x812px
>>14565265
>Lexus front left corner struck the right side of the bus

The bus was not behind, it was in front. The Lexus swerved into it.
>>
>>14565298
lol even robot suv drivers are scared of actually running over stuff.

isnt that what suv and raised ride height vehicles are for?
>>
>>14565284
I know. I'm saying in situations where the car can't operate a driver can take over. It's not the end of the world if the car can't drive itself in the rain because a human can.

I wasn't talking about the situation in the article
>>
>>14565303
An issue with the automated shit so far is that the computer can't determine what is run overable or not. At the moment, it considers all objects dangerous. A tumble weed is the same as a concrete ball to it.
>>
>>14565071
In Poland buses have the right-of-way in cities.
>>
>>14565306
>Be a dumbass normie who sets his telsa/google car on autodrive and goes into the back seat to sleep
>wakes up DEAD on the side of the road because the car hit a patch of rain, dirt/dust/mud/bug/wildlife or whatever blocks the sensors (how the fuck are they meant to stay clean on long journeys i might as)
If they are going to seriously consider self driving cars they need to plan for redundancy like modern aircraft but in the short term self driving cars will be finnicky and overpriced
>>14565314
Oh well maybe capcha will know the difference once day
>>
>>14565298
It's a four way intersection - so the figure isn't quite right because there is only one lane, not an exit ramp. And even still, the bus is passing the Lexus while it's in the same lane.
>>
>>14565315
in straya they dont but its a unwritten rule nobody NOBODY pulls out infront of a bus unless its another bus/truck i assume these rules are universal

although the recent dashcams of normies not yielding to big trucks and getting in horrible accidents confuses me
>>
>>14565156
but most people are lacking a brain
>>
>Crawling at 2mph trying to move over into another lane
> expecting a bus going over 7 times faster to come to a stop to let a car almost at a standstill merge in front of it
the car was entirely at fault. A human would have sped up and cut in front or just waited for the bus to pass
>>
>>14565331
So self driving cars are 16-20 year old white women of the drivers world?

KEK
>>
>>14565331
it's in the same fucking lane people. It's not trying to move into a new lane, it's trying to move to the other side of the lane it's already in.
>>
File: btfo.png (300KB, 310x643px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
300KB, 310x643px
>>14565325
The lane splits for right turning driver but still remains a lane for those going straight. The Lexus was going right, the bus continued straight, Lexus sees the sand bag and dodges it like it's a fucking spike strip and hits the bus.

I'd love to see an illustration from you on how you think the events went.
>>
>>14565337
so the bus was a dick then?

Whats new
>>
>>14565345
>implying you'd hit a sandbag in your lowered car
Fuck that

also yes i know not everyone drives a low car but for the sake of argument i'd dodge a sandjewbag
>>
>>14565348
How can it be a dick when it's already passed the 2mph Jewgle car?
>>
>>14565355
i read it wrong but still busses tend to lane hog and drift outside their lane
>>
>>14565345
>>14565345
where are you getting that style of intersection from? There was no report filed and an exact address hasn't been released.
>>
>>14565366
Because I have a brain and can figure out what type of lane they are talking bout. What other kind of lane allows for cars to turn right and also go straight while being the same lane?
>>
>>14565345
this is the actual intersection taken from the actual DMV report. The Lexus was traveling east bound on El Camino
>>
>>14565390
I can only imagine the frustration everyone had to go through seeing a Lexus moving at 2mph and then swerving and hitting a bus.
>>
>>14565379
Castro St, Mountain View, CA and El Camino Real

google it, obviously you don't have a brain
>>
>>14565405
It still happened exactly how I illustrated it.
>>
>>14565440
no. bye.
>>
>>14565484
Typical California, silicon valley ass kissing liberal that can't comprehend facts.
>>
Will they release a video of the incedent? If they do, then we can judge from the video and see if its googles fault or a combination of stupid ass bus drivers (of which there are many, to be sure) and googles self driving car.

If google doesnt release the video, though, then obviously the only conclusion that anyone who watches the video will draw is that google is entirely at fault. Its a plead the fifth sort of thing. By not releasing video evidence, google can deny the fault is theirs alone when it really is. So if no video is released, then im going to run on the assumption that googles self driving car system has finally fucked up. Bound to happen eventually
>>
>>14565775
Google doesn't even release videos of the incidents where it wan't their fault. Google doesn't want bad press so they show as little as they can.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.