[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm attending UTI in april, and need a new car. I found

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-02-27-21-15-34-1574928792.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-27-21-15-34-1574928792.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
I'm attending UTI in april, and need a new car. I found a 96 Eagle Talon TSI for 5k. Think this would get by reliably until I learn how to do all the work myself? I'll post the mods next
>>
Mods:

Head:
Freshly built (600 miles)
-Built Head 7bolt (retainers, valves, ported)
-280 fp cams
-hks cam pulley
-Head is ready to be revved to 9k
-new seals, head-gasket, new timing belt

Block:
-Stock 7 bolt in good shape (taken apart and inspected)
-Energy motor mounts

Drivetraine:
Rebuild transmission All new gears, synchros ($1900=1000 parts from mitsu dealer+900 labor)
4 puck Stage 5 competition clutch $400
Fidenza 11lb flywheel $200
Custom short sifter, set up for road race with custom metal bushings $150

Fuel:
1000cc Injector dynamics $400 (can run e85 easy)
Walbro 255 Pump kit $80?

Turbo:
-AEM standalone ECU $700
-FP3150 turbo $700
-Greddy 3 row intercooler $450
-FP exhaust Manifold $250 (powder coated black)
-Greddy BOV $150
-Tial WG $250
-AEM wideband $200
-Pro Sport boost gauge $75
-3" downpipe 3" Greddy EVO exhaust (loud) $850
-HKS EVC-S boost controller $300
-4" air inch intake and tube

Audio:
-Alpine head-unit $210
-Polk Audio crossover speakers $170
-Solo Baric L3 12" sub enclosed $175
-4 channel Polk amp $125
-Kicker Amp for Sub $100

Brakes:

Baer Big Brake Kit 13" front brake $600

Exterior:
-mostly stock
-rotta 17 wheels
-Tanabe adjustable Coilovers
>>
Don't do it, just go to community college auto classes
>>
Also the first thing you'll find out if you ever make it into the field is 99% of aftermarket parts are shitty quality, installed improperly, and detract from the value of a car. I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole, it's a disaster.
>>
Another note, I have driven manual cars, but never owned one. And I drive fairly conservatively.
>>
>>14543834
>Modified 20 year old car that's probably had more modifications than maintenance
>for 5,000 USDs
No.
>>
>Going to uti on promise of a job after graduation. Not realizing that job will be at Walmart quicklube
>>
Don't go to UTI. PLEASE DON'T DO IT
>>
>>14543834
>paying money to learn to work on cars

lel, whatever happens to you should serve as a lesson.
>>
>>14543845
I'm gonna do diesel, and the the people who go to our CC courses still can't do anything. I was asking about the car.
>>14543855
Thanks for the advice.
>>
UTI is a waste of $50k....you're going to come out of school and work as a lube tech just like the kid with a GED, except he's not in debt
>>
>>14543887
Yeah this is the bigger issue here. u
>for profit schools
>ever
>>
>>14543874
>>14543876
>>14543887
>>14543894
So I should be a neet forever? College is bs, trade schools are bs. I don't know what to do.
>>
>>14543913

No, UTI is just a scam. They fake hiring stats by hiring and then immediately firing all of their graduates.

Also it stands for Urinary Tract Infection.
>>
5k can buy you an amazingly reliable car that you don't have to work on for going to school, why buy a 20 year old, overly modified piece of junk?

and I'll say it again, the UTI recruiter is lying to you, you're not going to find the job or make the money he is promising you, especially diesel!!
>>
>>14543927
So what do you recommend? I really like cars, and scored well on tests. But everything I do people say it doesn't work out.
>>
>>14543927
at the Benz dealer I worked at, UTI was paying the dealer $10k to take their Star certified students.....only one in 17 lasted more than a couple months...and we always said UTI stands for Untrained Total Idiots
>>
>>14543913
I went to that fucking school. I'm a blacksmith now so yeah. Uti isn't as good as the Comercial
>>
>>14543939
I can't find one in my area, went to the city and looked, and hit up CL. Everything below 5k is 100k+ or a project.
>>
>>14543913
Why don't you just get a job as a lube/tire tech? Nobody cares about a tech school diploma, it makes 0 difference when you are getting hired, believe me, I have one. Nowhere I've been hired even asked me about it, it's had 0 impact on my career (aside from what I learned, but I could have learned the same things easily in community college or the field)
>>
>>14543941
get an entry level job at local independent shop or dealer. You're going to start as a lube tech or general service tech, just like you would if you were graduating UTI. Take ALL of the online training and classes you can get to and work your way up from there.
>>
>>14543956
bullshit, you want a cool car. If all you want is a reliable car a ton of Hondas are all over CL for less than 5. and 100K+ means nothing to a Toyota or Honda
>>
>>14543941

Sorry man, I don't know much about trade schools besides the dangerous ones. Maybe someone with experience could chime in. Is apprenticeship an option?
>>
>>14543956
>worried about 100k+
Man you really are retarded arent you
>>
>>14543958
>>14543971
I'll see about it, would have to get out of my town first, only two dealerships and they have horrible rep. Plus they prefer family and friends over others. I'm just tired of sitting on my ass and my friend went to UTI and said it was cool.
>>
>>14543983
Fuck you, at least be constructive like>>14543979
My first two cars were shit so I'm wary. Thats why I asked about the talon. I knew it was a bad idea and I needed people to talk me out of it. But I guess I do want a cool car deep down.
>>
>>14543991
Bro don't listen to these guys, half of them probably fucked around and had shit attendance. It's a step in the right direction if you don't have any connections, just don't expect it to be a magic key either. You're gonna have to start from the bottom either way, UTI is just gonna help you get your foot in the door. And don't forget to take you ASEs.
>>
>>14543958
So true.. When applying for jobs some shop owners even called me out on the amount of debt I have from graduating out of a tech school. It can't blame employers for it though, they know you'll ask for more money and it'll be a tough transition to balance buying tools, paying off the debt, and adjusting to the field. If your community college offers it then just do it that way and get a part time job changing oil.
>>
>>14544023
Yeah, an employer is going to call your school and see what your attendance was before you get hired, that's definitely what is going to make or break you when you enter the field. You don't need anything to get your foot in the door these days besides not being a moron, the field is desperate for young techs, if you are half decent you can get hired anywhere.
>>
>>14544023
Yeah no connections at all. Plus need to get out of shit town. All my friends ended up tweakers, I would like to be productive. I scored a 32 on my act, and i work well with my hands. due to a horrible trip, I've gained amazing motivation to do things right and am always ahead of schedule now. So I believe I can do well at uti.
>>
>>14544048
I would but the guys that come out of our CC don't ever get a job and are idiots. They end up doing normal jobs again, and still don't understand shit. For example, 3 of them thought a flat plane Crank engine means it's a boxer.
>>
>>14544057
It's okay, bro, it's not like I'm friends with service managers at two Audi dealerships, a BMW dealership and a Mercedes dealership. I don;t know what I'm talking about at all.
>>
>>14544113
The way you worded that makes me wonder if >>14544057 was your post and you're talking to Op (me). Or are you talking to >>14544057 directly
>>
>>14544083
Has nothing to do with where you went to school. When you attempt to get a job you will find out there is an interview, in which they may glance over your resume and see where you went to school before forgetting it 5 seconds later, then proceed to ask questions to find out what you actually can do

>>14544113
>I don;t know what I'm talking about at all.
we can tell
>>
>>14544137
Nice reading comprehension. Look I'm not saying you're wrong and that you can't become a tech without school, I'm just saying that oppotunity doesn't exist for everyone. This kid's trying to better his life, sounds like he doesn't have a better option.

And as for the service mangers I know, they actually do look at school records, they went to school and have done well for themselves since they graduated.
>>
>>14544113
You know what else gets your foot in the door? Spending half as much on a 2 year AS degree in auto repair from a community college and interning at a local dealer while you go to school (Honda PACT program for example). Holding an actual recognized college degree holds far more weight with employers than some overpriced certificate from a for-profit school that lives on filling it's classrooms with paying warm bodies. Doesn't matter if students come in and/or leave completely incompetent, UTI gets paid either way.
>>
>>14544137
So the school doesn't matter I get that. But I figured the more hands on approach at UTI was why it was good. The guys at CC barely get to touch anything, they just learn how it works in class.
>>
>>14543913
UTI isn't a trade school?
>>
SMALL TOWN + TWEAKERS = EAGLE TALONS AND MITSUCLIPSES

EVERY
FUCKING
TIME
LIKE CLOCKWORK
TICK
FUCKING
TOCK
FUCKING
the game.
>>
>>14544190
It was a sarcastic post.
>>
>>14544181
If you want hands on you are going to learn WAY more just working as a lube tech at a dealership than you will at UTI in the same time span, plus the experience is more valuable than the diploma, while you get paid to do it. If you have it in you to be a good tech you will land somewhere good, I guarantee that. If not no amount of school is going to make a difference anyway. Sounds like you are just in a shitty town, there are other ways to get out than go into debt at a tech school.
>>
>>14544195
I've gotten over the talon, it was a bad idea I admit. Don't we all have lapses in our thinking.
>>
>>14544200
All my prior experience is some oil changes, installing a 302 intake manifold and mufflers on my friends 5.0. Do I just apply at any and all dealerships in a nearby city and hope one of them hires me?
>>
Just go to Cal Tech or some shit. Do your dos, and get a lube tech job. Dat diploma doe.
>>
>>14544226
Apply everywhere. The worst they can say is "go fuck yourself"
>>
Pro Tip: If a school needs to run a TV commercial to get students, don't give them your money.
>>
>>14544232
Hopefully they dont. I've been living off my wits for awhile now. Tried a retail job, pushed me to an hero and abuse of sacred psychedelics.
>>
>>14544210
It's a joke you nut i have two 3000gts sitting shitty and shot heroin a good long bit of life don't be such a softy
>>
>>14544241
The commercial didn't sway me, my friend said it was a good school. He has a viper now.
>>
>>14544258
Not implying the commercial swayed you. I'm just saying good schools don't need commercials to inform you they exist. The reputation should speak for itself.
>>
>>14543913
>College is bs, trade schools are bs. I don't know what to do.

How do you figure that college AND trade schools are both BS?
>>
>>14544320
This
>>
File: 4343.jpg (143KB, 402x431px) Image search: [Google]
4343.jpg
143KB, 402x431px
>>14544210
As a matter of fact Buy a 3000gt so I can sell you parts then you can learn to work one of the most annoying things ever made in the automotive industry. That's two birds one stone don't pass this up anon
>>
>>14543913
trade schools are NOT BS. i went to one, had a job well before i graduated, and now im almost two years out and i have great job security, and i actually get up in the morning excited to go to work.
>>
>>14543913
get into a field entirely outside of automotive unless you take something abet certified like automotive or mechanical engineering and land a job in the automotive industry

working on cars for a living fucking sucks ass

>>14544210
that talon isn't that bad, but i would jew him down to $4k. dyno sheets? the mods look pretty solid and at this point in time most dsms are molested to fuck anyways. check for rust (arches, rockers, top of front strut towers). they're pretty straightforward cars...nothing like the 3000gts people group them with. most of their issues have more to do with being 20+ year old turbo awd cars with 6 last owners. this one AT LEASt seems like he knows what he's doing (going off of the FP turbo vs a ebay special, aem ems (who tuned it??), rebuilt transmission (how long ago?), and baer BBK). ask if he kept a/c and ps.

spend the remaining $1k on the nicest 1990s camry/corolla/civic/accord you can find for when it inevitably goes back onto jackstands

>>14544195
the choice of small time pillheads and heroin addicts

at least means you can find them in REALLY nice shape in places like central new york and ohio. i swear its like they all migrated from the coasts into middle america.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.