[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is Ford putting shitty transmissions in their cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 5678.jpg (202KB, 1280x914px) Image search: [Google]
5678.jpg
202KB, 1280x914px
Why the fuck is Ford putting shitty transmissions in their cars? I was interested in buying a Focus until I heard about their transmission problems.
>>
Just buy a manual one
>>
>>14528886
Because made in mexico
>>
We rented a Focus with the DCT in it last year.

POS didn't even last through 200 miles of our 1 week vacation. We had to have them bring a replacement car after 3 days.
>>
>mexico
>quality

pick one
>>
>>14528886
The guy assembling them is a burrito juggler
>>
>>14528886
The honest, non-shitposting answer is that, it's really only the Focus and the Fiesta have a particular problem with having a shitty DCT, and it's because they're older platforms with older engines that are trying to compete in a price and MPG sensitive segmen, and the DCT is the only way to squeeze out enough MPG out of the Focus and Fiesta.
>>
>>14528886
have an auto fiesta, and have driven the focus as a rent car before. Yeah, its a CVT but i've never had issues with it doing its job on either car.
>>
>>14529519
Yep this is true, also the fusion is probably a better choice to buy used

also I just checked the ford site apparently you can build a 1.0L ecoboost w/ 6 speed
>>
>>14529702
i dont think its a cvt bro
>>
>>14529702

its a DCT dumbass
>>
>>14529716
>you can build a 1.0L ecoboost w/ 6 speed
Are you talking about the 3 cylinder? Because I've heard that thing is anemic. A couple years ago you could get a 5 speed manual with the Titanium Focus, but now you either need to step down to an SE or step up to the FoST to get a nice Focus with a stick.
>>
>>14529755

a fully loaded SE is basically the same thing as a titanium
>>
>>14529765
only reason for a titanium ford anything would be a titanium fusion /w AWD package.
even then, it's not really worth it.

t. AWD fusion owner
>>
>>14528998
uh?
i'm a mexican who lives in mexico and my 2015 focus was made in the US
>>
>>14529770

just wait for the twin turbo 6 fusion. i bet its gonna be fun
>>
>>14529755
1) no shit it's anemic, it's a fucking 1 liter
2) you could never get a Titanium with a manual, I was working at a Ford dealer in 2011 when those cars hit the floors
>>
File: faggot.png (141KB, 462x399px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
141KB, 462x399px
>>14529765
I know, but you can't get the gray leather in the SE for some reason, only black. I know lighter colored interio1't stay clean, but I find all black interiors to be really boring.
>>14529770
Would you get the '17 Sport model if you had the money?
>>
>>14529785
The configurator lied to me then, website said I could on the '15 models. Availability of a manual in a higher trim and the better fuel economy is literally what makes me want a Mazda3 instead though.
>>
>>14529786

black interior is best interior m8
>>
>>14529740
>>14529754
my bad. Point still stands though.
>>
I was given a company rental, a Ford Fiesta. I went to leave for the night and the headlights didn't work. I got the owners manual and made sure and yep they did not work.

Got a Mazda 2 instead
>>
File: Focus Titanium stick.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Focus Titanium stick.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14529785
Pic for proof
>inb4 lel IE
For some reason Ford's (and a few other manufacturers) website doesn't always work with Chrome
>>
>>14528886
its so you have to trade them in and buy a new one by the time you hit 100k
>>
>>14529781

meh, my 2014 titanium pushes 231 HP and 275 lb/tq, it's actually good enough to keep up with a lot of competitors.
not a manual but the select-shift deal is fun for the occasional spirited driving.
mainly a DD.

>>14529786
>33k
nah man, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a daily. current fusion has only 30k miles on it so upgrading isn't on my mind for a long time.
and as far as fun cars go I prefer old 90's wedges
>>
>>14529519
Sister owns a 2014 auto focus.

The fucking thing totally shits the bed when it comes to the transmission.

So here's the situation. The car shudders and hesitates between first and second, sometimes 3rd. The whole fucking car shakes. This happens about 3/10 times in these gear changes

We take it to the dealer and they do a computer upgrade. This only slightly improves the shuddering. It still hesitates in the lower gears sometimes. Not very often but it still happens at least once or twice when you drive it

So we're still dealing with this fucking bullshit of a lemon that is these new DCT trannys. I've done some research and the issue is that the seals between the clutches or something are bad and leak fluid into the friction zone - making it hesitate.

the parts are backordered for 8 weeks or some bullshit and the car literally just stopped being covered by Fords warranty

ford is a fucking joke for pushing this new transmission fucked from the factory
>>
Does the 2016 Focus have the same shit transmission?
>>
>>14530333
Yep, unless you go for one of the Sr. Manuel ones, but the auto ones still have that shitty DCT.
>>
>>14529823
The 2.0T Fusion is slow, my stock wrx is faster with less power, not to,mention modding is pretty much out of the question as the automatic is weak.
>>
>>14528886
Theyre not having troubles with the trans. It was the clutch pack in the auto. The dry style slipped like a mofo under light driving conditions, and drove well when you hammered the shit out of it. They've since swapped to a wet clutch and resolved the problem as of six months ago.
>>
>>14530339
Wrong, its not even the tranny. They also fixed the issue in 16
>>
>>14530425
>>14530433
Source: work for Ford
>>
>>14528998
What if I told you Mustang transmissions were assembled in China?
>>
>>14530743
[Citation needed]
>>
>>14529880
The transmission issues are warrantied longer than the car. I have a 2013 Fiesta with that issue. Took a month to get the part. Parts girl said it took 3 for her Focus. Autos suck. Drive manual.
>>
>>14528886
Why the fuck would anyone buy the auto version anyway? The SE Sport hatch with the MTX-75 is the fastest non ST Focus.
>>
my 2002 explorer's solenoids went bad after 120k miles.
>>
I'm just going to monitor this thread as an 05 Focus driver with an MTX75. Fuckken great tranny.
>>
>>14530743
That'd be too expensive and a logistical nightmare.
>>
>>14530951
Manual Foci still use the MTX-75.
>>
>>14530956
I'm a ford fan and will cede on this, how did you not know about this?

http://jalopnik.com/5792482/faulty-chinese-built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-mustang
>>
File: Found_On_Road_Dead.jpg (59KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Found_On_Road_Dead.jpg
59KB, 720x960px
Buy a 5-speed, bitch

>Source
>Have 5-speed Focus
>Shit is SO cash
>>
>>14530988
I know but I couldn't justify buying a new or gently used ~5 year or less old Focus or Fiesta ST for a DD/soon to be light autocrosser when I could pick up a used ZX3 with a timing chain and there's plenty of parts out for it. Not to mention the RS is now a thing, though I'll be holding off on it because I hate Ford's current styling and I want a 3 door model.

<rant>
I'm not sure what makes Ford think they can call the RS the RS. It has a 2.3 liter engine which is bigger than WRC specs allow. Also most of the Ford rally cars now are Fiestas not Focii as they've gotten too big when something like the Fiesta exists.

I really want a Fiesta RS is what I want, with a turbo 2.0 and AWD, with three doors. Something that can be truly taken to a rally stage more or less from the factory...

I'm still excited about the RS but I hate the styling sort of, mixed feelings really. I hope they do a facelift in a year or so, as it's a cool car on paper and I'm drooling over it but it's not the ultimate firey shitbox.
</rant>
>>
>>14531020
Not even the manuals are safe? Fuck me.
>>
>>14531033
You do realize the 2nd gen RS which everyone absolutely loved had a Volvo I5 that was 2.5L right?

I think as long as it's sporting enough and got enough grunt it deserves the RS name, I wouldn't be so hung up on rally regs.
>>
>>14531049
The autos since '05+ have been pretty bulletproof actually. Also the manual trans has been updated, that was early '11s that had that problem.
>>
>>14531020
2011 was a long time ago. But that does surprise me. I blame Getrag.
>>
File: IMAG0709[1].jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0709[1].jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Oh and here's some pics of my 05. Yeah it's sort of a shitbox but it's never left me stranded and it makes a great DD.

Plan on getting into SCCA some time maybe this summer. I've only got a custom exhaust, SRI and short throw shifter right now. By-Summer-Probably plans are suspension changeout for Ford Racing SVT kit and a front upper stress bar and possibly a rear though it is still a DD so may leave that off since the little hatch can literally swallow a pair of bikes as is and that's pretty cool.

Will eventually get the 17" SVT EAP/08-11 Euro Package wheels and new rubbers when my current nearly-brand-new tires wear down but am now running stock 15" Will then repurpose the 15's as snow tire wheels.

Also want to upgrade brakes with an SVT conversion kit but that's a lot of money at the current time, as is turbo or supercharging which is also being held off on until I get a new DD and decide to turn this into a rallycross car and strip the interior and such.

That's my 5-10 year plan for this guy. For now I'm going to do like any typical ZX3 driver and continue to lower the property values of my neighbors.
>>
>>14531053
I know but at least that RS was pretty, again, awesome as a DD but it's a sort of mental thing I have. It's a me problem not a Ford problem by all means.
>>
>>14531063
Tremec>>>>>>shitrag
>>
>>14531077
Yeah, it's pretty great that the SVT springs and dampers are available so cheap and since you have an '05 it'll bolt right in without an omni kit. Why did you go for the Steeda over the FSWerks/CFM intake? The EAPs are pretty heavy, while I agree they look great I'd look for something lighter in a 16" diameter. About the brakes you should try to source some calipers from an '08+ they're aluminum and will save you some unsprung weight and they're plenty strong, I would still get the SVT rears though. Also, 1st gen Foci that had ESP also had rear discs.
>>
File: IMAG0708[1].jpg (730KB, 2688x1520px)
IMAG0708[1].jpg
730KB, 2688x1520px
Pic related is my Steeda short throw, previous was the SRI. Put in both of them last night.

70% of the time spent was getting to and removing the factory intake system.

inb4 ricer intakes don't get you power gains

hang on, I have a picture for you and while I agree it won't drastically change everything there's no way an intake swapout can't do anything.
>>
>>14531099
intakes add a nice induction sound at least
>>
>>14529813
Many manufacturer websites don't work with the touchpad on my 2-in-1 because they're built for tablets. Thankfully I have a touch screen, but maybe that's your problem.
>>
>>14531099
If you have a PZEV the stock intakes are garbage and gains are definitely to be had.
>>
File: breathe free.jpg (552KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
breathe free.jpg
552KB, 2688x1520px
>>14531098
Not to mention the SVT conversion kits come with...a...rear...?...swaybar?...Not sure which one, can't remember but they do have a swaybar with them.

I was just about to pull the trigger on an FSWerks but my coworker showed me his SRI on his Mazda 3 and re-surfaced my initial concerns about hydrolock. Since the FSWerks is a true CAI not an SRI like the Steeda (even though Steeda calls theirs a CAI it isn't) it sits very low in the car and we do get some decent rain here. Better safe than sorry.

Also supposedly the SRI gives better lowend, better sound, and better throttle response.

Though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the FSWerks. I just didn't think the risk of hydrolock was worth it. Don't worry, I have an FSWerks exhaust with the stealth muffler on it.

Pic related is the stock system next to the Steeda SRI. That cannot NOT help airflow somewhat.

Also the actual filter is in a 100% sealed box from everything I can tell. It was overdue for a change I'm sure since they're called "lifetime filters"

Also also, the short throw shifter, for taking like, 10-20 minutes to install (and a broken shift sleeve that doesn't actually matter that it's broken) the gain in feeling on the shifter is worlds of difference. Absolutely worth the time and money spent on installing it. Also it defeated reverse lockout in my particular case which I never really cared either way for in the first place.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.