[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Brake drum rusted on and won't come off >Only two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_1851.jpg (568KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1851.jpg
568KB, 1600x1200px
>Brake drum rusted on and won't come off
>Only two studs intact, 3 are broken
>Have sprayed drum with tons of lubricant and whacked it up with a hammer still doesn't budge
>Have to drive to work tomorrow
HELP
>>
>>14502464
Is the parking brake engaged? Does it have little bolt holes you can run bolts in to pry it off the hub?
>>
>>14502464
Just put the wheel back on. Deal with it next weekend.
>>
>>14502464
turn the star wheel senpai

there should be an access hole
>>
apply heat to widen the drum.
hit its outer side all way around with a hammer to make it loose.
>>
Soak in wd-40 then hit with soft hammer
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>14502478
Parking brake is not engaged. Are these the holes you're talking about? What size bolt can I use?
>>14502506
Is it safe to drive on two studs?
>>
>>14502559
>Is it safe to drive on two studs

No.
>4
Okay, will last. Had to do that once for 500 km.
>3
Some kilometres, wouldn't risk longer distances.
>2
Nope.
>>
>>14502559
>Is it safe to drive on two studs?
Eh, no, not really. Especially no if your car is lug centric. You need some sort of device that will grab the rim of the brake drum and put pressure on the axle shaft to prize the drum off. Other than that, some heat, a hammer, and a lot of pounding?
>>
adjust the brakes down you dumb shit, theres a hole or slot in the back of the brake where you stick a screwdriver in it to spin the adjuster.

You most likely had a groove worn into the drum that the brakepad is sitting in.
>>
>>14502559
Yes those are the holes I think. Google your car to see what size those are on a forum.
>>
>>14502591
I see no slot on the other side. Is this a feature only some cars have? I'm working on an 01 Galant
>>14502606
Found the size, but all hardware stores around me are closed. Might have to wait until tomorrow. Oh well, I can borrow my mother's car.
>>
>>14502693
>Is this a feature only some cars have?
No. Get a factory service manual from Mitsubishilinks. Put some screws into those holes and it'll pop right off. Those holes are a godsend.
>>
File: Brake adjuster access hole.jpg (37KB, 495x340px) Image search: [Google]
Brake adjuster access hole.jpg
37KB, 495x340px
>>14502693
It probably has some sort of a plug or dust cover.
Image related off of typical malaise-era american brakes. It is always located 180ยบ from where the brake line connects to the wheel cylinder.

You need to back off the self-adjuster to free the shoes from the lip worn on the inside edge of the drum. But that's not the only issue, judging by your image (and the fact that you broke 3 studs removing the wheel) the drum is also rusted to the hub. You may need to break it loose, by hitting it HARD with a large hammer on alternating sides. I suspect you won't have much luck using the provided bolt holes to pop it off until it's broken loose, but you might get lucky.
>>
use a bigger hammer
>>
>>14502756
>I suspect you won't have much luck using the provided bolt holes to pop it off until it's broken loose
They work a million times better than being a retard with a hammer. They WILL get them off.
>>
>>14502548
Do this
>>
>>14502821
Have no torch to do so with, unfortunately.
>>
>>14502756
Guarantee you can hit it like a twat all day and it won't come off.
Get two bolts in there and wind the fucker off in 30 seconds

Also how did you manage to break 3 studs?
ya bumbaclart
>>
>>14502853
Alright, crossing my fingers that'll work. I've found the service manual online and am downloading it now, but for now I'm taking the car off the jack stand and putting the wheel back.
I have no idea why the bolts broke, two of them broke before they were even flush with the tire, and the other one broke coming off probably because it was just rusted on so good.
New england rust 10/10
>>
>>14502821
No, don't do that.
>>14502853
This man is right.
>>
Alright thanks for all the help everyone, I very much appreciate it
>>
>>14502884
stainless steel nuts by any chance?
>>
So am I crazy here, or are you trying to take a drum of that's being held on by the axle nut still?
>>
>>14502559
Yeah, they're opposite lugs. You'll be fine.
>>
File: 1426926932654.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1426926932654.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>14502464
>drum brakes
>>
>>14503444

DELETE THIS
>>
>>14502464
CROOOOWWWWBBAAAAAARRRRR
Go buy yourself a wide enough lead pipe, get a crowbar, sling that pipe over it and wedge that bitch off. Had to do it to my dad's pickup a few times.
>>
spray penetrating oil around the hub (center part) where the drum surface meets. loosen the adjuster through the back orifice which usually has a rubber grommet plugging the hole. find a miniature sledge hammer and beat the fuck out of it by alternating sides and top and bottom. a little pussy hammer isn't going to do it bud you need a 6lbs sledge at least. I usually get a full size sledge from lowes or home depot and cut the handle down to about 10 inches.
>>
At points like this, I'd just replace the whole fucking rear end.
>>
>>14502772
This.

Also, WD40 is not a penetrating lube. PB Blaster or liquid wrench is what you want.

Could also put some heat on it with a propane torch.
>>
Should be a rubber plug on the inside of the backing plate. Take it out, adjust the shoes inward as far as they go. Not sure how hard you hit it with a hammer but when I do it you can actually see the marks it left... but whatever... you should focus the hammer hits on the flat face of the drum between the studs. That's where the rust weld is the worst.
>>
>>14502464
Get a ball peen hammer, slap it hard in a clockwise rotation around the studs. Do this, and eventually itll wiggle off.
Trust me, I'm from the salt belt
>>
>>14503919
Don't listen to this retard. Seriously, follow the manual. Doing these stupid little shadetree mechanic dances is just going to do damage and waste your time.
>>
>>14502559
OP look at your drumm you see those 2 threaded holes that are smaller than you lug studs. They are threaded holes. what you do is get 2 bolts with the right thread pitch and thread them in. They pull the drum off. Make sure you do one side alittle then move to the other. alittle bit at a time till they come off. MAKE SURE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF HOW THE SPRINGS AND HARDWARE ARE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU REMOVE THEM.
>>
>>14503994
WD-40 both penetrates and lubricates. However, it's not as good for heavy duty applications like PB Blaster, Kroil, Zep and the like. Nothing beats a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.
>>
>>14502464
there is barely any rust on that vehicle, you shouldn't be working on your vehicle if you can't perform the first step.

As others mentioned the self adjuster might need to be turned back, but i'd venture to say that's not the case. It's usually only the case when there is a rust lip on the outer edge of the drum.

In reality you should be using a rubber dead blow as to not distort the drum, just hit it harder pussy.
>>
>>14505329
>In reality you should be using a rubber dead blow as to not distort the drum
More bad advice.
>>
>>14503919
this will work. you won't hurt that drum brake. the only way to get it off is with a (big) hammer.

don't listen to this pussy >>14504251 that has clearly never wrenched in his life "read the manual! don't do shade tree mechanic stuff guys!" shaddup you pussy.
>>
>>14505638
>I know better than engineers!
Please kill yourself.

OP use the screw holes in the drum. It'll come off easy.
>>
>>14505645
engineers lack more common sense than a stump. Why don't you go read the manual on how to go fuck yourself.

>no experience with drum brakes
>posts how to fix drum brakes
>read manual

please, put yourself out our misery. clearly OP is asking for advice from real people who wrench, why would he come here instead of google it? because I bet there is no manual for getting a drum brake unsiezed. oh yes, it's called a chilton's manual, and they say exactly that. hit. it. with. a hammer.
>>
>>14505673
Jesus Christ how does one this retarded function in daily life?
>>
>>14502464
air hammer. trust me itll come off
>>
>>14505686
keep talking pussy, you've yet to contribute any helpful information. let me guess, you're a fucking NEET who's parents bought a new car, and you think you're a car guy? amiright? i hope you get murdered with a 6lb sledge hammer.
>>
>>14505686
He's right

I'm ASE. We hit a lot of things with a lot of hammers and we didn't learn any of that from a textbook.
>>
>>14505645
oh fuck off, the sledge method works. brum brakes are thick as hell and you arent going to be able to dent them.
He already most likely has to replace the drum anyway
>>
>>14505715
>you've yet to contribute any helpful information
I've contributed the most helpful information in this fucking thread. Read the motherfucking manual. I've USED those thread holes, they work. No extra effort on my part, no risk of damage. Please kill yourself, for the good of humanity.
>>14505717
I don't care who you are. Unless you are an engineer for Mitsubishi you can fuck off.
>>
>>14505638
I've worked at various shops and no one sprays penetrating oil on them, they all take a hammer and pound it off to loosen it up. After it's loose then you can tell if the shoes are holding you back and the adjuster needs to be turned in.

>>14505645
More often than not those holes will strip right out, but it's always worth a shot.

>>14505483
I thought my shop foreman was wrong, but he was right with the amount of force you hit the drum it can and does distort them, you're less likely to do that with a rubber coated hammer.

It's amazing how many people don't know a fucking single real world thing about fixing cars on here, people that actually work on cars for a living don't have the time or the motivation to help retards like this one out. He shouldn't be attempting to work on his vehicle. I rarely come here, but when I do it's painful to see the retards spouting bullshit as if it was 100 percent fact. Lets complicate something so simple and give bad advice, niggers
>>
>>14505735
if you read what everyone has posted, the suggestions were to back off the self adjuster to shrink the brake pads inside the hub, apply penetating oil to the hub, and then apply some quick blows alternating around the brum, this shocks it loose, and will also free up any stuck springs or hardware preventing the brake shoes from disengaging. if a brake shoe is caught on a ridge, putting a bolt in the threaded hole will not remove the drum. it's the act of "shocking" the components loose. bruh learn to wrench, not everything is in the manual.
>>
>>14505735
>engineer for Mitsubishi

Know how I know that you've never worked with automotive engineers?

Honestly, the sales guys and purchasing department have more mechanical aptitude than those fuckwits
>>
>>14505762
>More often than not those holes will strip right out, but it's always worth a shot.
Never had that happen, and I used to live in the rust belt driving the rustiest of cars.
>>14505771
Stop reading shitty manuals, then. Factory service manuals are NOT Chilton's or Hayne's bullshit. Everything is in the manual.
>>14505784
And what the fuck do you know? How do you know better than the people that built it? The fuck is with these grandiose delusions you people have?

OP, I've done the dumb bullshit home mechanic shit. It was always way more work and frustration than getting the tools and using the methods outlined in my factory service manuals. Don't listen to morons, use your brain.
>>
>>14504251
Guy who has never worked on a car detected.
Hammer and blowtorch is literally most used tool.
>>
>>14505784
I fully agree. After you spend years wrenching you realize how often they fuck up. It's like the construction field, they don't have real world experience out in the field so more often than not they don't see how bad they fucked up or learn from their mistakes. They can't turn a wrench to save their life.
>>
>>14503940
trade the whole fucking car in
>>
>>14505800
I shouldn't have wrote more often than not, but it happens often.

If you actually worked on cars for a living then you'd know how often and how bad the engineers fuck up. You are a fucking moron spouting bullshit. It's a running joke that real technicians talk about.
>>
>>14505807
>I fully agree
Yes, retards tend to agree with each other.
>>
>>14505800
the pic that OP has above is a stock photo. he says 3 studs are broken, yet in the photo they are fine. he says "Brake drum rusted on and won't come off" if it's a matter of rust, the only thing that will get it loose is a hammer and some type of penetrating oil, after the adjusters are backed off. he probably googled "rusty brake drum" instead of posting an actual image. we don't actually know if his car has threaded holes either. do you even common sense?
>>
>>14505800
I just finished reading your post. It makes perfect sense now, because you have a fsm you think you are a tech and you know everything. You are a fucking moron once again.

I guarantee that even if you know there is a few steps that you can eliminate you probably follow the book word for word. You'd make a horrible tech, you have to be smarter than the book/engineers and you can make a lot more money and get shit done in a shorter time. That's how many beat the flat rate time.

The fsm's are the best, but there is a lot of misinformation or unneeded steps. Keep believeing a fsm makes you a tech.
>>
>>14503919
And then just replace the howling wheel bearing next month after you fucked the shit out of the bearing races by hammering on it like a buffoon. Do you work at midas or something?
>>
>>14505829
>I shouldn't have wrote more often than not, but it happens often.
It doesn't. No car that had this feature has ever had that problem when I worked on it. You know why? Because for the threads to be weak there would have to be enough corrosion that it wasn't functioning as a brake rotor in the first place.
>If you actually worked on cars for a living then you'd know how often and how bad the engineers fuck up.
It's not all that often that engineers fuck up. Often times retarded know nothing mechanics will spout off about how something is fucked up, when it's merely the solution to an counterintuitive problem. Take your high school education and stick it up your ass.
>>14505833
Read the thread, retard. An obvious insight into the quality of the 'tech' morons on here.
>>14505847
>A veritable compendium of information created by the engineers has misinformation
No, you are the misinformed one. I don't think I'm a tech, I would never want to be that stupid.
>>
>>14505833
>literally googled "rusty brake drum"
>op's pic is 1st result on google images.

hell, he could be working on a deuce and a half brake drum for all we know.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (5KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
5KB, 250x201px
>>14505862
this guy is a NEET

tell me sir, what do you drive?
>>
>>14505892
>bullshit projection I wanna judge your car type shit
Yea, we're done here.
>>
>>14505899
HAHAHAHA

I knew it. GTFO bitch.
>>
File: yeuh.jpg (6KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
yeuh.jpg
6KB, 223x226px
>>14505902
>>14505899
>>14505892

WINRAR
>>
>>14505902
Damn nigga can't you read? Do they even require you tool monkeys to graduate middle school?
>>
File: qzluvlolghztvktp1ljl.jpg (452KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
qzluvlolghztvktp1ljl.jpg
452KB, 640x480px
>>14505862
>It's not all that often that engineers fuck up
engineers fuck up on every single vehicle. Some problems range from small nuisances like bolts being hard to get to, to major fuckups like placing the timing chain on the back of an engine or placing the fuel tank in such a way that it explodes when hit
>>
File: rekt.gif (136KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
rekt.gif
136KB, 500x200px
>>14505899
Anon got BTFO
>>
>>14505881
Jesus fuck I was checking the thread before going to bed and I'm met with this massive shitstorm. OP pic is a stock photo of a rusty brake drum, but I posted an actual photo of it here:
>>14502559
>>
>>14505862
>created by the engineers

Engineer bootlicking, an all time low lad.

Like I said, you've never talked to an automotive engineer. fucking 4 years at a shit tier university doesn't bestow design bros with ability to actually DO the work that their technical writing prescribes. Technical writers don't often get the proper details from the design team to begin with.
>>
>>14505991
did OP have success?
>>
>>14506044
Not yet, I called it a day and have my mechanic buddy coming over to help me out tomorrow.
>>
File: HallucinogenicFrog.jpg (872KB, 1735x1671px) Image search: [Google]
HallucinogenicFrog.jpg
872KB, 1735x1671px
>>14505862
It's priceless how many times you can just let people type and prove to you just how much they don't know.

There are countless times that the engineers fuck up in the fsm's. I used all data for years and there were many shortcuts that could be taken and more mistakes than you can imagine. It's blatantly obvious you are talking directly from your asshole as a lot of people with no real clue do. I proved beyond a reasonable doubt you don't have enough experience to speak as you are speaking. This post proves it point blank you are a fucking moron.

I can never imagine a time in my life where I did what you just did, it makes no sense to me. Do you honestly believe you are right? I don't get it. Maybe you're too blind from ignorance to see that you are completely wrong and just made yourself look like a fucking moron.

I fully agree that Lincoln Techs automotive program had barely any hands on and it was a waste of twenty grand, but I have never taken on a repair that I didn't finish since '04.

If you ever made a living out in the real world you'd see first two months what I mean. Thank you for making my night you dumb bastard.
>>
>>14506069
good luck br/o/ post update on how you got it free.
>>
>>14505991
Great example of why not to post Google images mouth fuck your own thread.
>>
File: louicCcuck.jpg (328KB, 727x739px) Image search: [Google]
louicCcuck.jpg
328KB, 727x739px
>>14505862
What happened bud, did you get btfo way too hard to reply, it sucks doesn't it.

Maybe you can take this and learn from it and change as you grow up. Spouting bullshit as known fact is a fucking curse on our society and you are only making it worse for everyone. Shut your fucking useless mouth next time.
>>
>>14502464

How long did your brakes need service before you serviced them?

This is the result of vehicle neglect.
>>
>>14505830
wrekt!
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.