[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what horsepower, factory stock, should Toyota/Subaru sell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: toyota-gt-86-uk-8.jpg (69KB, 900x596px) Image search: [Google]
toyota-gt-86-uk-8.jpg
69KB, 900x596px
At what horsepower, factory stock, should Toyota/Subaru sell the GT86 before it enters legendary territory?

I think 250-300 hp, and I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
>>
>>14498856
Needs the STI engine as an option

Congrats on finding the right board
>>
I'd agree but then the autists on here will complain it's too expensive because 50-100hp just appears magically for free.

Would be at least 28-29k at that point.
>>
Toyobaru should have tried to revive the g35 so yah 250hpish towards 300hp would have been beast since its light
>>
File: 2012-infiniti-g37-ipl-review[1].jpg (81KB, 628x417px) Image search: [Google]
2012-infiniti-g37-ipl-review[1].jpg
81KB, 628x417px
>>14498868
>Toyota
>G35
wut. Also pic related
>>
>>14498873
I meant try to make something comparable to the g35 in hp drivetrsin etc
>>
>>14498873
I love how often my car gets posted here. I wish it was more powerful. Supercharger eventually.
>>
File: 1450487703380.jpg (72KB, 456x683px) Image search: [Google]
1450487703380.jpg
72KB, 456x683px
Doesn't matter because benchracers, economics-101 dropouts, and poorfags will still moan about it being priced too high.
>>
Another 40hp and a flattened torque curve would be more than plenty.

Adding a twin-screw supercharger would be perfect, since it keeps the N/A throttle response.
>>
>>14498915
How is it expensive? It costs less than a mustang, a camaro, an STI or pretty much any other sports car on the market.

Even hot hatches go for more than one.
>>
Honestly 200 HP would be acceptable if it didn't make shit torque and have a weirdass torque curve
>>
>>14498933
Who knows honestly, the GT86 really isn't that expensive for what it offers factory new. I guess the big argument is that for not much more you could get into a significantly more powerful vehicle or just buy used.

People here just constantly play armchair economist theorize about impossible cost reduction shit that manufactures can't do and have never done period.
>>
>>14498915
it's too expensive because it's natural competition is the warmish hatch
>>
File: 1452982013795.jpg (303KB, 960x711px) Image search: [Google]
1452982013795.jpg
303KB, 960x711px
>>14499033
this

FiST has less horses but has the torque curve down perfectly for gokart like fun
>>
>>14499049
You can't have your cake and eat it too... all on a budget. The hot hatch competition in the same price range as the GT86 are all fwd, which is a big issue with the majority of /o/ here. The whole selling point of it is that it's an entry sporty rwd vehicle.

So the choice, rwd with less power or more power/torque with fwd? A rwd setup is naturally more expensive and horsepower doesn't magically grow on trees.
>>
>>14499048

If you want more power, you should put a Honda engine in it.

A K20A is a huge improvement over suberpoo junk. The potential of a Hondabaru would be unstoppable, Honda's legendary engines and well Toyobaru's other decent shit combined would make a great sports car.
>>
>>14499093
that's not how it works. you can't make an vaguely equivalent product, overprice it and just say "it cost more to make"
that's the manufacturers problem.
the converse of course also holds true. if a manufacturer can find a way to make an equal quality product for less they bank the saving, not pass it on.

cost=/=price
>>
>>14498895
Cars often posted on /o/ are usually meme cars or shitboxes cause that's what 99% of /o/ likes.
>>
>>14498928
You can lose the tourqe dip with a tune but I like it on mine.
>>
>>14498863
>>14498856
Isn't there a brz coming out with STI badge soon?
>>
>>14498856
>250-300 hp

I don't even think it needs that much. I'd be happy with 230-240. S2000 territory.
>>
>>14499681
Trim only upgrades and maybe a few hp
>>
>>14499720
Yep. They've officially ruined the STI badge, as BMW did with M.
>>
Needed 200 rwhp...got this
>>
>>14498864
>Would be at least 28-29k at that point.

I'd buy it. I'd buy it very hard.
>>
220hp with no torque dip and more headroom for aftermarket boost is all it really needs.
>>
>>14499093
>A rwd setup is naturally more expensive
Automotive engineer here, cannot confirm. Back in uni my professor said the only real reason to make a car fwd is having more room for the tank and boot in small cars.
>>
>>14501293
1. a transverse FWD setup takes less material and design work than a longitudinal RWD setup. Combining the transmission and diff really does allow for slightly cheaper manufacturing.

2. If you want a small car with X interior space, you'll need more material to make it RWD. Simple as that. You're either compromising on interior space(which means you can't meet your design goal) or youll have to make the exterior and chassis bigger, meaning the car will get more expensive.
>>
>>14501314
>FWD setup takes design work
Today's engine bays are full enough already, it's a ridiculous lot easier to not have the driven wheels in there aswell. A tunnel to the back is a lot more simple. The reason this doesn't matter in the end is that new chassis are only designed once in a blue moon, then reused and modified forever.
>2
I'm saying not having the differential in the back allows for more bootspace than having a differential in the back.
>>
>>14498856
>250-300 hp
Right on the money there mate.

The 2GR makes 266bhp, and 245lb.ft
Get it together Toyota you fucks
>>
>>14499107

Bro DYE 2jz-gte?
>>
>>14499256
>I like my car to be worse

why?
>>
>>14501354
feels like turbo lag, and I pretend it has one
>>
>>14501361
why not turbo it then?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
124KB, 1920x1080px
>>14501354
>>I like my car to be worse
>>14501361
>feels like turbo lag
>>
>>14499681
You put enough badges and decals on, Im sure it'll get it to 250+ hp.
>>
>>14501361
That's not how turbo lag feels.
That's just being anemic.
>>
It is just begging for a turbo setup like the 2L of VAG. Anything above 240/240 is good.

70 more hp and 100 more lbft of torque would be ideal.

Oh - and quit putting Prius tires on the damned thing. Not all of us are into drifting.
>>
>>14498856
Right now the frs/brz has a power:weight ratio of a ford focus. For it to be "legendary" it would need a power:weight ratio of 8 or lower.

350 hp would be the bare minimum to achieve this and even thicken it's a little iffy. 400 hp would be a much better target to shoot for.
>>
>>14501466
No one gives a fuck about your arbitrary Gran Turismo stats dick head
>>
This is so fucking simple. New wrx engine, basicly what it already has, just with a stock turbo. Won't fit? Fuck you, it's been turbo'ed plenty of times by tunners, always with the conclusion that it tottaly fixed the car.
>>
>>14499681
The BRZ tS would have a tweaked chassis and suspension upgrades.
>>
>>14501630
>physics is arbitrary

Ok then
>>
>>14500760
>more headroom for aftermarket boost

nigger what
you could fit a microwave between the engine cover and the hood
>>
All they fucking had to do was give it an inline 4 instead of a fucking boxer. Literally the car's only fault.
>>
Toybaru claim adding a turbo would kill it for it's intended audience, pricing it and the insurance outside of the reach. They cite the Celica GTS and Supra as examples.

I think they are full of shit, but Mazda does the same crap with the Miata. Hopefully the Fiata wakes them up to the idea of a Mazdaspeed turbo edition for $5k more. 70 more hp would make it a great Z alternative.

Let us figure out how to pay for it.
>>
>>14501793
ever get the feeling you've missed the point?
>>
>>14501814
yeah, cos I never see any Subaru sti or wrx's

Fucking subaru cuck'd them so it didn't eat into the imprezza market.
>>
>>14501810
this

boxers are meme engines
>>
It'd be fine if it had maybe 20 more whp. It doesn't need much more to become a really fun car. Driving mine this morning on slick roads, the wheelbase and the flatness that this car has is making it twitch around corners - so I'm not sure putting that into the hands of everyday drivers is such a good idea.

Sure they could lengthen the wheelbase for stability and add that power, but then its no longer a corner carving car / track car and more of a grand tourer.
>>
I bought a launch 2013 BRZ, have been driving it for 2 years, and I have also driver a friend's BRZ who said "fuck the warranty" and turbo'd it immediately. For the extra $5,000 he dropped on that, the car is seriously a different beast. I loved driving his, but I'm still waiting for my warranty to end and for it to be paid off before I add a turbo.
>>
Also, here is my BRZ next to a friend's restored Supra. These cars are amazing, really fun on track days. I expect the aftermarket to push this into third-gen f-body territory for mod availability and level of fun.
>>
>>14502239
Isn't it incredibly undertires? As in, adding wider tires would fix the stock twitchiness?
>>
>>14502274

Yeah. They put low rolling resistance narrow tires on it so it'll drift with only 200hp. Fucking Prius tires.

Yeah, my 1991 Festiva had 70hp and P165 tires on it. I could drift it too, but it wasn't a sports car. I can drift my 3.6R Outback with the snow tires on it, but it's not a sports car. Get the "drift", Toybaru?
>>
>>14498864
its easy to make power on almost any car mate!
you just need a few simple diy mods
anyone on /o/ can get at least 25-50 more hp with just some zipties, duct tape and a couple pringles cans
>>
>>14503033
You do understand it's a sports car regardless of what tires are on it, right? They just gave you nice daily driver tires that will last a long time, rather than making you pay more for a stickier tire that isn't your preferred brand.
>>
>>14503203
don't forget about /osg/, can pick most upgrades for 10 bucks or less
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.