[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a good idea to pick up a 2000-2004 Harley Davidson with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

Is it a good idea to pick up a 2000-2004 Harley Davidson with less than 10k miles?
Are there parts that's susceptible to break down due to age?
Lastly, has there been a major improvement that I would be missing out for not picking up a newer model? Are the older engine still considered fast to today's standards?
>>
>>14448401
>Harley Davidson
Not even once
>>
>>14448401
The newer models would still be using technology from the 1940's.

And no, harleys are fucking noisey slowmobiles.
>>
>>14448401
The low mileage is a bit concerning due to seals drying out, and I'd check the gas tank for rust inside. Other than that, the new ones are only a bit bigger displacement, as far as fast, it'll go plenty fast enough to kill you. That being said, I own and prefer the Evo over the twin cam, but both engines should easily get to 100k with no problem. Mine is 24 years old and doesn't leak a drop of oil.
>>
>>14448401
You're gonna trigger the sportbike spergs
>>
>>14448456
How do I check the inside of the gas tank for rust?
>>
>>14448506
Just shine a light in it. It probably won't be rusted, but they can if they sit a lot with less than a full tank.
>>
>>14448401
>harley
>ever
Get a real bike that doesn't have a literal 1920's pump engine
>>
>>14448555
>Get a real bike
Will this meme ever die? All ic engines are ancient technology, you fucking moron. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to go 150 mph or put a knee down on curves. My floor boards are plenty scraped up from dragging. Remember, its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow!
>>
>>14448572
Yeah bit harley really is shit compared to even 1970s Honda motorcycles.
>>
>>14448637
>Yeah bit harley really is shit compared to even 1970s Honda motorcycles.

Explain how without mentioning top speed and acceleration, neither of which HD claim to excel at. I want to know what is shit about them. Maybe I'll learn something here.
>>
>>14448401
>own a bike
>worried about parts breaking
>not looking frward to something breaking so you can fix it while drinking beer in comfort

normies man, normies.
>>
>>14448572
>slow bike fast
This is said in defense of little 250cc nakeds and sportbikes, not Pigfat cruisers that won't go five miles without leaking oil from all orifices

I'm not against cruisers, I like Indians, metric triumphs and the suzuki m1800. I'm against people who buy harleys because of the image and because everyone else has a Harley, and because Harley has become synonymous to cruiser, anything that's not a Harley is seen as a Harley ripoff and in some way "not real"
>>
>>14449226
I hate that shit too but Harley still makes some cool as shit bikes and the quality is really good right now.
>>
>>14449326
>quality is really good now
No it's not.
Harleys are still on the bottom end of reliability tests
>>
>>14449353
They have been as reliable as any bike since 84 when the Evo came out.
>>
>>14449226
They are in the middle but I was referring to fit and finish. They are by no means the most reliable bikes but they are not as bad as BMW or some others.
>>
>>14449386
not sure how this happened. should link to >>14449353
>>
If HD is so bad, how come bike junkyards are overflowing with jap shit, yet not a single Harley will be there?
>>
>>14449411
Harleys are more desirable.
>>
>>14449416
But everyone says they're not reliable
>>
>>14449439
So? Even if we assume they are unreliable they still would not end up in junkyards. The reason is that people want them and are willing to put in effort to get them running and keep them on the road.
>>
>>14449439
>>14449411
HD riders know what they got and won't be throwing them away if they can sell, don't ride their bikes as much and don't crash them nearly as often
And harleysdon't get outdated because they're already 50 years behind everyone else
>>
>>14449452
>And harleysdon't get outdated because they're already 50 years behind everyone else
Yet they outsell disposable weeb shit 10 to 1.
>>
>>14449464
>apple sells more iphones than any Android manufacturer could ever dream of
>>
>>14449464
>Yet they outsell disposable weeb shit 10 to 1.
dont be retarded gramps
>>
File: stirner[1].jpg (11KB, 170x198px) Image search: [Google]
stirner[1].jpg
11KB, 170x198px
>Harlel-Davidso

LEL
E
L
>>
>>14449526
Last I checked, HD has over 50% of the market for heavy bikes in the US.
>>
>>14449560
>HD has over 50% of the market for heavy bikes in the US
and that is outselling japanese bikes 10 to 1 on the entire market?
dont be retarded gramps

>harley has over 50% of the limp dick cruiser faggot market
that makes sense
>>
>>14449571
>harley has over 50% of the limp dick cruiser faggot market
All this salt
>>
>>14448572
>more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow
Why not ride a fast bike fast?
>>
>>14448659
Terrible terrible build quality.
>>
>>14448401
Just buy a Japanese cruiser. They do everything Harleys do, but cheaper and better. They don't keep. Value, but you're gonna keep the bike long term and ride the shit out of it. Right?
>>
>>14449729
>Terrible terrible build quality.

My ass. You don't know a fuckin' thing about bikes.
>>
>>14450405
fuck off faggot, harley are the most unreliable bikes along with BMW
>>
>>14450405
Been riding my whole life. Including several Harleys
They are pointless and poorly built motorcycles for insecure people.
>>
>>14450200
>Just buy a Japanese cruiser. They do everything Harleys do, but cheaper and better.

Those jap cruisers are edging into Harley price ranges these days. As far as better, I'm not so sure about that, unless you like fake cooling fins, plastic chrome, and useless covers everywhere hiding ugly shit.
>>
>>14450411
Cunt, I've forgotten more about bikes than you'll ever learn.
>>
>>14450425
>unless you like fake cooling fins, plastic chrome, and useless covers everywhere hiding ugly shit.
sounds just like garbage davidson
>>
>>14450415
>Been riding my whole life.
What, all 24 years of it? Fuck off.
>>
>>14450432
you clearly frogot how unreliable harleys are
>>
>>14450446
The 24 year old one in my garage starts every time. Only problem was a broken pawl spring at 69k
>>
>>14450425
Jap bikes
>more power in smaller/lighter package
>better mpg
>better build quality/reliability
>more comfort
I could go on and on

Hardly Davidson
>1600cc only 120hp
>terrible mpg
>oil leaking from showroom floor
>vibrates itself to death
>shit randomly falls off
Hell jap bikes were making 120hp from 750cc in the 1990s
>>
File: harley.jpg (86KB, 770x443px) Image search: [Google]
harley.jpg
86KB, 770x443px
>muh harley is reliable
>>
>>14450466
>oil leaking from showroom floor
This tired shit. They haven't leaked since the introduction of the Evo.
>>
>>14448461
>sports bike
>>
>>14450466
This 100%.. Fuck harley
>>
File: 20151029_183442-1.jpg (4MB, 2818x1775px) Image search: [Google]
20151029_183442-1.jpg
4MB, 2818x1775px
Any cruiser other than the diavel or vmax is kinda dumb imo

Do what I did and buy a SV1000S if you just want big Vtwin sounds and thrills.
>>
>>14448572
>My floor boards are plenty scraped up from dragging
Thats because your retarded floor boards are so low they adversly affect your ability to turn and are a huge safety hazard. Riding around town I make tighter turns than you could even physically do. Cruisers are stupid and unsafe.
>>
>>14450563
>your retarded
>your

I see a problem here. Also, I'll bet my chicken strips are narrower than yours.
>>
>>14450425
Honestly, if you get a Japanese bike, everyone who doesn't ride will think it's a Harley. And those are the only people who actually care about Harley. Bikers just want you to ride. You'll get waves and conversations no matter what you ride.
So just get a bike with good build quality. In a configuration you want. Fuck brands and marketing. Even the big M/C clubs are regretting not switching to Japanese bikes.
>>
>>14448401
The newer engines are 103s producing ~68hp at the rear wheel and~80ft/lbs torque. That would be mediocre numbers in a 500lb bike.
These aren't 500lb bikes.
The newer ones sport 6 speed trannys. They have come a long way in dependability and even though they are slow and cumbersome, they still sell like crazy and maintain a great resale value. If it floats your boat, go for it man. It's still a motor-sicle.
>>
>>14450589
>>
>>14450589
Are the floorboards not yours?
>wait for that moment when you realize the problem is you
>>
File: i-m-retarded-o.gif (1MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
i-m-retarded-o.gif
1MB, 240x180px
>>14450675
Oh shit... I dun goofed. I guess I am retarded, along with my floorboards.
>>
>>14450626
Cruisers never wave though =(
>>
File: 178.jpg (71KB, 816x460px) Image search: [Google]
178.jpg
71KB, 816x460px
>>14450697
All brand ball-busting aside, as an enthusiast, I have found Harleys to be more user friendly to work on I have owned a VTX1800, a Volusia, a Gold Wing, an 07 FJR(by far the most maintenance intensive cunt ever), countless cb750s, an xl650 that I made into a hardtail chopper, an 02 Road King, and for the past 5 years a 92 Road Glide. I like HD for their simplicity; what you see is what you get. It's an honest machine, which is the essence of /o/. Fitting mine with some Nissin 6 pot front calipers just because I can, and it's fun. You niggers need to relax. Pic related; my pigheavy cruiser. 68000 miles and I think 19 years old at that point. Not bad for for a piece of shit Harley.
>>
I wonder how easy is it to manipulate the odometer to make it look like this old Harleys have low miles.
>>
I've never talked about this before, but I really need the boards advice on what could be a crucial decision. I’ve suspected for some time now that my girlfriend has been cheating on me.

The usual signs… Phone rings but if I answer, the caller hangs up.
My girlfriend has been going out with the girls a lot recently although when I ask their names she always says, “Just some friends from work, you don’t know them.”

I always stay awake to look out for her taxi coming home, but she always walks down the drive. Although I can hear a car driving off, as if she has gotten out of the car round the corner. Why? Maybe she wasn’t in a taxi?

I once picked her cell phone up just to see what time it was and she went berserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone again and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never approached the subject with my girlfriend I think deep down I just didn’t want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her.

I decided I was going to park my Harley next to the garage and then hide behind it so I could get a good view of the whole street when she came home. It was at that moment, crouching behind my bike, that I noticed that the valve covers on my engine seemed to be leaking a little oil.

Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it back to the dealer?
>>
ITT poor community college students living with grandma who will never afford a 30k dollar bike
>>
File: 663458520n.jpg (24KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
663458520n.jpg
24KB, 400x300px
>everyone sperging out about harley's

they're a nice cruiser, and perfectly reliable if taken care of properly

i have a '91 evo like pic related with 60 000k on it
the worst thing about it is there's a seal that leaks oil into the engine when it sits so it pukes out oil when you start it if it's been sitting a while

it's also a pig on gas so don't get one if you care about mileage

it's a blast on the highway though and super comfy on long trips
i have a long commute and prefer it over my other bikes for going to work

i have a honda sport bike and 2 dual sports also.. i had an old goldwing but i sold it because the harley is just more fun and i never rode the goldwing

bikes are all fun and cool, though .. people who sperg out about one bike or the other are missing the point
>>
>>14452893
You're right. I'm poor. But if I has 30k for a bike, I'd get a goldwing or an fjr
>>
Get a v max.
>>
>>14453029
You aren't allowed to like Harleys because they are popular but you can like Honda even though they are more popular.
>>
>>14456014
Literally no.
We hate harleys because of the owners' insistence that they're the best in the world while there's a puddle of oil forming slowly under the engine
>>
>>14456988
>ate harleys because of the owners' insistence that they're the best in the world while there's a puddle of oil forming slowly under the engine

You forgot to mention the fact that you can't afford one.
>>
>>14448461
>"everyone else is the problem"
Nah, Harleyfags are the problem.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.