[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>renting an apartment is ok but leasing a car isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4

File: leasing-versus-buying-a-car.png (18KB, 675x397px) Image search: [Google]
leasing-versus-buying-a-car.png
18KB, 675x397px
>renting an apartment is ok but leasing a car isn't
Is /o/ retarded?
>>
>>14164762
longterm buying a condo makes sense as you'll build equity. Renting is fine if you're just going to be in the one place for a few years.
>>
>>14164762

renting an apartment isn't ok, its for retards

you're making payments on it anyway why not pay a little more and have ownership of the property

In every single case, you're better off buying the car and selling it; it'll cost you less per year if you calculate it out

renting and leasing are the ultimate cuck forms of payment

theres a sentence I didn't think I'd write this morning
>>
People on /o/ like to act like they are all rich and loaded. However a majority of them drive around shit box meme miatas and live in their parents basement. Their bills consist of scratch off lotto tickets and their eBay/PayPal 6 month interest free financing bill because they couldn't afford the $140 chinese coilovers they bought for their miata.

Don't listen to them, go and get some finance knowledge from reputable sources.
>>
>>14164799
>you're making payments on it anyway why not pay a little more and have ownership of the property

That would make sense if you KNEW your future.... fucking idiot.

If you do then great, settle down, buy a place.

Ive moved 3 times in the last 3 years, as of now, im renting. When I get married or find a job I love. Ill settle down.
>>
>>14164799
Sometimes renting just makes more sense
>>
File: 1416794405408.jpg (98KB, 680x966px)
1416794405408.jpg
98KB, 680x966px
>I bought my house cash with zero credit

apartments are for people who usually have nowhere else to go, don't get suckered into actually believing anything you read on 4chan. 99% of the people here are broke fucks working minimum wage jobs. So why would you take financial/life advice from someone going nowhere in life?
>>
buying a decent home is more expensive so most rent until they can build a career, credit and afford a decent down. Fuck a condo and hoa fees etc. if you buy a house get your own property. you can buy a cheap shitbox and rent a decent place. buying a shithole crack den and leasing a new car will be no bueno

>>14164799
kid
>>14164780
>>14164807
adults

/o/
>>
>>14164799
You can buy a decent house for less than a swanky apartment, at least where I live.
>>
>>14164839
Apartments are for single working men like my self that earn 40k a year but dont know if ill stay at the job or what my future holds.

I have often thought, may rent payment would buy me a pretty awesome house but then I realize that, you need to put about 20% down AND be fully committed to staying there for 20 years or whatever.

I cant tell the future, and thus, I rent.
>>
>>14164883
shit tends to work itself out my man. buy a place and if you get moved just rent it out in the mean time. if you're in a position to buy property do it.
>>
>>14164762
>comparing two completely different things

Are you retarded... let me give you a few things required to buy a house:
>great credit
>10-20% down (so a 200K house would require 20-40k DOWN)
>house insurance
>house repairs
>HOA
>taxes
>depreciation
>lawn maintenance
>higher electricity cost
>higher water cost
and many other things. Renting serves a purpose, because it's generally cheaper and in the long run it's cheaper as well. RARELY after calculating all the money spent does a house MAKE you money, ESPECIALLY when adjusted for inflation.

But yeah it's totally the same as leasing a car (which is fucking stupid).
>>
>>14164823
>>14164830
>>14164864

Yeah, you're obviously not going to buy a place if you're moving in the foreseeable future; that's a given. But thats still a cost; your argument isn't that its better to rent/leasing than own and make payments, just that because of your situation its a requirement.

That's like saying a pinto is better than a f430 because you can sign up for 'best pinto of the year' competitions with it.

>Owning > Leasing
just because you're an irresponsible dipshit who's life is in such disarray that you have to move every few years doesn't disqualify that cold hard fact.
>>
>>14164830
esp when the gov or bank can show up at any time and steal your house
at lest where I live deed of ownership is more or less the same thing as renting off of the government
with the premise being that the government will provide reticulation of power and water and legally defend your property against spurious claims
>>
>>14164970
You do realize that straight out of college I cant just buy a place...

Wow....
>>
>>14164970
it depends on the market, but often times renting is better than buying. The interest you make from investing a $50k down payment instead of putting it into a house will often outpace the housing market (unless you're in a bubble)
>>
>>14164762

I drive my car around way to often to ever lease a vehicle.

I've done impromptu trips from Atlanta to Florida. I've gone from Atlanta to Miami over 30 times back and forth in the past 6 months.

Last week me and my Gf had a bad fight, I took my car up to Tennessee and hit the dragons tail with a few my friends that live up there.
>>
>>14164762
You're retarded if you think renting an apartment is a good idea
>>
>>14164907

>great credit
I can almost fucking guarantee the blubbering SJW's will get subprime lending back as soon as they possibly can
>10-20% down (so a 200K house would require 20-40k DOWN)
Not always, it's more like 5% in some cases
>house insurance
no argument there
>house repairs
you should budget for this but if you're not getting at least the cost of the existing repairs off the cost of the house you need to jew them down hard
>HOA
Fuck that. Not every house has an HOA to deal with, and I refuse to deal with a fucking high council of soccer moms. If there's an HOA, I'm not buying.
>taxes
yep
>depreciation
yep
>lawn maintenance
Well technically this is rolled into the HOA cost in some cases
>higher electricity cost
>higher water cost
I'd argue for both of these that it's not that much more than if you pay your utilities in an apartment. You're not taking double showers once you own a house, so utilities would only go up by stuff like exterior lighting you wouldn't have previously used and whatnot.
>>
>>14164997

Jesus christ let me spell this out for you; just because you can't, doesn't mean what you have to resort to is better.

>Renting is giving away money to live in a box

>Owning and making payments is giving away money to live in a box and gradually owning part of that box with every payment

Which of these two is better. The one where

>Money + Month = Living
or the one where
>Money + Month = Living + Ownership
>>
>>14165010
short of an earth quake and a housing bubble crash I could agree
sometimes when you own a hose shit hits the fan and its imposable to cut your losses

with a flat you pay your last due and get the fuck otta there
>land rates are so much better than rent guys
>>
>>14164998
You're a dumbass and you don't even know it
>>
>>14165020
Shit, I never said renting was better. Only that it has a valid time and place in most peoples lives. No need to shit on it continually though. A house is better, in my eyes, I rent a house with my friend ($1200) and I think thats the next best thing to owning one. Over 2200 square feet of room.

but yes, to continually rent is stupid.
>>
>>14164998
Not to mention the huge difference in money spent monthly.
>average 1 bedroom here in Conroe TX
$800 in a nice neighborhood.
>average mortgage
$1200 +all the taxes and fees associated with it. So not counting bills it's about $1500. Also apartments are about 1/2 as expensive on utilities.
So you are saving an additional $900/month roughly renting an apartment. Also with an apartment you don't have to sock away $10-$30k for emergency repairs like A/C breaking, roof leaking, foundation issues etc.
>>
>>14165020
Except when you get a mortgage, you wont own the house for a good 20-30 years. Until you COMPLETELY pay it off, you're at the mercy of the loan company. If things aren't exactly how they want it, if you either don't do a repair exactly how they want or your house is a bit too messy, they can and will kick your ass out and take their investment back
>>
I worked in realty for several years, and let me make this simple for you guys.

If there is more renters in an area then owners, then it is more expensive to rent.

If there is more owners then renters in an area, then it is more expensive to own.

Simple as that.
>>
File: MBASubprimeQ42011.jpg (125KB, 1096x743px)
MBASubprimeQ42011.jpg
125KB, 1096x743px
even if your mortgage is clear the bank can sell your home out underneath you
unless you want to duke it out in court
>>
I will say that I will never pay a HAO fee in my life.

Fuck HOA's my LAND MY RIGHTS.

When I purchase a house it will be in rural NC thank god with NO HOA.

Freedom to shoot my guns, work on my cars and freedom to do what I want on my property.

Some friends bought a new townhouse in a neighborhood. I told them they dont own shit, even if its paid off. They won nothing. Thje HOA can and will kick you out if they please, they will hold a lien on your property and sell it, you get the money(less their "fees") but you get kicked out.
>>
>>14165048
>buy a house for $200k
>after making payments compound interest has made that house cost $365k
>it's totally a better deal!
The ONLY time owning a home is a better deal is:
>you can buy it cash
>it was given to you
>you own more than 20 and rent them to other people
And the best part is, I own a home. I got cucked, don't be like me.
>>
>>14165053
True, I pay $600 to live in a huge house that some old folks own and dont use.

Security deposit was $1500 though. But fair, the house is immaculate with two backup generators permanently wired in.
>>
>>14165065
I swear sometimes I think of ways to live for free. Ill sit at work and be so depressed that my bills for my rented house equate to $1000 month.

Id almost go live in a damn tent, pocket the change and get a really nice car.
>>
>>14165062

This.

HOA horror stories have been coming to light recently all over. It's actually bringing some home values down if the HOA is bad enough. Avoid them at all costs.

I owned a condo with a really strict HOA. Talking like $500 fine for the littlest of things. I rented the condo out and they literally threatened to kick my renters out because the guy had his business displayed on the back of his pickup truck and they considered it against the "no commercial vehicle" rule. Dude was a plumber, like he can't work for a fucking living? No tools or anything were visible in his truck you would not know he used it for work unless you saw that 1 banner on the rear window.

Glad I sold that condo.
>>
>>14165065
Only time I will ever own a house is when I inherit my mom's, and after that I'll probably rent it out with an agreement that I'm not responsible for fuckall or sell it for sweet dosh
>>
>>14165039

Yeah without a doubt, I rent right now but I'm just not deluding myself into thinking owning is a better value.
>>
>>14165083

My friend lived free for a year out the back of his blazer.

He worked 2 jobs, slept in his truck at the 24 hr gym he paid membership to.

He had a spare battery pack wired into his truck where he would iron cloths, use his laptop ect.

Dude was making like 34/hour with his combined jobs and spending something like 80$ a month on gym membership and laundry mat.
>>
>>14164907
>depreciation
I know this isn't fucking /biz/ but come on. Take a look at housing markets.
>>
>>14165116
Just buy a vanagon (it has a little sink and bed in there) or something similar. It will feel MUCH better when sleeping and you turn it into a little camper. Basically any large van can be awesome.
>rip out seats
>put in futon
>put in TV
>wire in solar panels and a few batteries
Then do what ur friend did. Shower at a gym, work out, sleep in parking lots or in the woods. Drive to work. repeat.

Vandweller on here did it for a while, haven't seen him in forever though.
>>
everyone is leaving land taxes out on ownership as well. I own 17 acres 1 10 acre lot that was inherited and the 7 acres our home is on

my home taxes are $2400 a year and the bare property in a different county is $660 and those bills come at the same time. I figure you need to make $24-25hr to be comfortable in this economy
>>
>>14165120
.......yeah today..... idiot. Look at 10 years ago when everyone lost their fucking shirt. It's barely getting back to where it was. So it's a net negative right now depending on when you bought. Also, what is inflation?
>buying a house in an up market
>location location location
>>
>>14164907
The UK housing market is very different m8
People here dont know shit about investing in stock&shares, but erryone knows how the housing market works. Over a 25 year mortgage its not uncommon for a 200% increase in house price. And that could be substantially more if you live anywhere near London.
>>
>>14165131
Taxes were brought up several times ITT.
>>
>>14165116
>pick up girl
>take her home to fuck her
>it's a 24 hour gym
>she ruins your gains
t.hanks
>>
>>14164762
Renting an apartment is fine only if you're a poorfag that can't buy property and build equity, or if you're planning on moving around a lot

cars can move, houses can't

>>14165131
it's a surprising year when property tax is higher than the appreciation of property.
>>
>>14165065
If you pay any significant amount of taxes, you can get a fat deduction from your income tax, which does a huge amount to offset the compound interest. 30 year loans are a thing precisely because it allows you to deduct your income tax for thirty years

>>14165120
at a 50-100 year time scale property in a city can only lose value if the city itself loses population. don't live in fucking detroit or some other rust belt shithole and you're good
>>
>>14164799
I live in places for a year at a time due to a job that has me going all over the country. Why the fuck would I buy a home?

I had a home, but it ended up being short-sold during the housing bubble burst.
>>
>>14164762
Cars last a lifetime, and are going to be constantly used. You can move to a new region every year or two, and you can take your car with you.

I don't own a home (though I do have land), but I own multiple cars. Leasing is bullshit, and I actually want to keep my cars for a long time, not a couple of years.
>>
>>14164762
>>renting an apartment is ok
What retard told you that? Renting is for idiots who enjoy giving money away or are so badly qualified they are constantly at risk of long periods of unemployment.
>>
>>14164830
Implying house price inflation over five years doesn't make it worthwhile buying.

Implying any other financial investment would make more sense than buying property.

Implying you don't have to pay taxes or super costs when you rent.

Renting is a last resort that saps your money into someone else's' retirement fund. Pure jewfagory of Ford proportions.
>>
ok ok so basically to summarize all these faggots above me

a) try to live within your meansa
b) only use renting and leasing as a temporary situation because it will fuck you over in the long run
>>
>>14165349
>Cars last a lifetime,

Thats certainly not true. lol....

Homes last far, far longer.

You got that confused for sure lol
>>
>>14165429
maybe a short lifetime
>>
>>14164762
>implying im renting.
>>
>>14165429
>Homes last far, far longer.
Probably down to where you are and if they are proper brick built fair or wooden sheds with plaster daubed onto them. I have several cars that have lasted longer than the average age of a house in New Orleans for example, and I'd probably not buy a house in Oklahoma City for that matter.
>>
>>14165477
ermm... the house I grew up in(mostly wood but with some brick) built in 1989 is in immaculate shape and has outlasted many cars im sure.

Of course, its all about how much you take care of it just like with cars.

My grandparents house as built in the 50's and is in excellent shape.

Just take care of your shit and itll do well by you.
>>
>>14165498
>1989
Oh wow 26 years thats a long time isn't it. If you live in the third world.
>>
>>14165508

26 years is quite a bit for a car....

Most do not make it that far, while most houses do.
>>
>>14165539
A car can easily last more than 26 years. Also cars are cheaper to rebuild and repair.
>>
>>14165551
this
>>
>>14165551
>Also cars are cheaper to rebuild and repair.

Yeah because Ive always wanted to keep a 1989 lumina on the road.

At some point it will cost more than the car is worth to repair unless we are talking about a rare or classic car.
>>
>>14165314
You clearly don't know shit about taxes. You can get a PORTION of the interest deducted but after your entire tax profile is done, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>14165539
>26 years is quite a bit for a car
Not realy. I have three dating back to the 60's another 2 from the mid 80's and 1 from the early 90's all in regular use. Are you buying domestics?
>>
>>14165508
the house I live in was built in 1874. a well built house will last forever, barring some freak accident.

the average lifespan of a car is 8-15 years depending on make/model/driving habits
>>
>>14164762
Houses and apartments don't lose half their value in 8 years
>>
>>14165592
If you take care of a car, it will last a really fucking long time without any major issue. And yeah a car worth 500$ is totaled if it blows a head gasket but it's cheaper to replace a ~50$ gasket than buy a new car.
>>
>>14164762
A house is less of a depreciating asset than a fucking car. Especially if it's like a 3 series or something. You're literally paying to get cucked
>>
>>renting an apartment is ok but leasing a car isn't
>Is /o/ retarded?
yes now that you are here.

I live in a city, so going to go with city prices. A meh condo costs about 200,000. A meh new car costs about 20,000, so a condo/house is about 10 times the price of a car. You can buy a new car for 20,000, but you can also get a perfectly good used car for 5000, or 20% the costs. A condo that costs 50,000 is going to be pretty sketchy. The difference in quality between a 20,000 car and a 5,000 car is significantly less than the quality of housing in a 200,000 vs 50,000 unit.

Not only that, you can usually pull together 5000 which will get you a car.. you usually can't pull together 50,000 or even 20,000, which would be the minimum down payment for the 200,000 condo.

You have to be high as fuck to even compare the purchasing of the two.

>>14165601
chances are you 1874 house has had tremendous amounts of money dumped into it over the decades... probably enough to buy many new houses over that time. A well built houses frame can last a long time, but there are numerous things that need to be replaced and updated.
>>
>>14164799
Sorry dude I dojt think the banks gonna give a 21 year old 400k to buy a house
I don't particularly want to go into so much debt so early anyway.
I'll enjoy my $150 a week for a decent house thnx
>>
>>14165048
Where the fuck do you live where this happens? You have the bank go through your house making sure repairs are up to standards it something?
Holy fuck America is litetally the biggest shit hole country on this planet why the fuck anyone would live in such a freedom less cess pit is beyond me
>>
>>14165292
Property tax is supposed to capture appreciation and as such, keep property prices down. A good economy needs a liquid market for land.

Too low property tax and we get price bubbles and a low liquidity of land.
>>
>>14165065
eh, if the house was sold for 200k and you paid 365k over the loan you got to deduct 165k in taxes and come out owning the home in the end, while if you rented, you would have paid about the same amount, not gotten a tax deduction and owned nothing at the end.

>>14167160
>Where the fuck do you live where this happens?
>Holy fuck America is litetally the biggest shit hole country
asks where anon lives, assumes its hamerica and the poster actually owns a house. For fuck sake
>>
>>14165065
Sounds like you're an idiot who bought an overpriced house in a shit area and failed to secure good enough rates
Learn to use tools, your houses will pay for themselves
>>
>>14164907
>great credit
This is true
>10-20$ down
No, dipshit, you roll that into your fucking mortgage loan and/or get the seller to cover some/all of it
>house insurance
Protecting a multiple hundred thousand dollar investment is apparently a bad idea and not worth a couple grand a year?
>HOA
I don't have one
>taxes
You pay taxes on rent, it's rolled into your rent payment. You are paying someone else's property tax for them, and gaining no equity at all.
>depreciation
You don't understand how investments work. You only lose money if you buy high and sell low. If you hold onto the house long enough, you will make money off of it.
>lawn maintenance
Holy shit, a $140 lawn mower and the maybe $100 a year to keep it running in order to cut your grass once a month is too much
>high electricity cost
I pay $60 a month to provide electricity to a 2,000 sqft house versus what I paid in a 1000 sqft apartment. And I don't have to put up with living in an apartment, god forbid.
>higher water cost
Residential rates are identical, you only pay more if you use more.

Here's what you actually get out of a house
>can rent the extra room(s), reducing your cost of living significantly
>dont have to deal with loud neighbors anywhere near as much
>dont have to fight to find parking
>can own as many animals as i want
>have my own garage i dont have to pay extra/rent
>builds equity over time, builds credit faster than anything else
>almost guaranteed to make money on them if you sell it
>insurance+warranty gets even major problems fixed for next to nothing
>if you decide to move you can rent it out to dipshits who think renting is 100% superior and make profit

The only purpose renting serves is it gives you a place to live if you can't afford to buy. If you can afford to buy a house and aren't planning on moving within 5 years and have a stable job, you have no reason to not buy a house.
>>
>>14165065
Okay?

>bought a house for 149000, will owe 300000 if i pay over 30 years
>got rid of other debt, consolidated payments, live off my paycheck and dump my wifes entire annual income into the house, paid it off in 10
>paid 210000~ for a house thats now worth 250000

I rent out my other two rooms for $450 a month which is $8 shy of 40 hrs/wk at minimum wage. You're just bad with money.
>>
>>14167270
>No, dipshit, you roll that into your fucking mortgage loan and/or get the seller to cover some/all of it
Most mortgage companies are the ones asking for 10 to 20% down so you arn't rolling shit into that loan. You can roll closing costs, but not the down payment. There are cases where your down payment can be pretty low, but its much rarer than it was before 2008.

At least thats the best as I know it.
>>
>>14164907
>RARELY after calculating all the money spent does a house MAKE you money, ESPECIALLY when adjusted for inflation.
Not true in many cities. My parents bought our house in 1997 for $300k and now it's selling for $800k+. Same thing is happening in the small city I moved to.
>>
>>14167333
I guess? My first mortgage was a VA loan so no down payment, and I refinanced and just rolled the fees and down payment into the next loan. I have no doubt I might be wrong, but I know there are tons of options available to help mitigate or remove the down payments.
>>
>>14164989

>Esp when the government or bank can steal your house.

What? The only time that would ever happen is if you're a retard and don't pay your mortgage.
>>
>>14167372
Or taxes.
>>
>>14167359
Cousins husband bought apartment for 400k, sold for 700k four years later
>>
>>14167270
>No, dipshit, you roll that into your fucking mortgage loan and/or get the seller to cover some/all of it

You can have the seller pay for closing costs but not the downpayment. You can find 1st time home buyer programs in your city/state to help with the downpayment and yu can layer multiple programs together for a higher downpayment.
>>
>>14164762
I'm saving up to buy a house with my brother. Still live with my parents, but fuck it. I rather give my parents $100-200 of rent, than give $1000 to some random shithead.
>>
>>14167372
Eminent domain dumbass
>>
>>14164762
Isn't leasing to own the GOAT way to save?
>lower payments initially due to lease
>after a few years the depreciation makes financing payments for ownership comparable to leasing payment anyways
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.