[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any meaningful difference between performance winter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: M3.jpg (725KB, 1727x1537px) Image search: [Google]
M3.jpg
725KB, 1727x1537px
Is there any meaningful difference between performance winter tires and studless/studable winter tires?

My dad told me I can take his Dinan supercharged BMW M3 he never drives if I can get it running. It’s in decent shape, the exterior is badly faded and some glued-on panels in the interior are coming off but the mechanicals should be in good shape. It only has 77K miles on the odometer and the supercharger was rebuilt about 7 years ago but only 5K miles have been put on it.

He said last time he drove it, it ran really rough and he could smell gasoline, so that should be interesting, hopefully it’s a simple fix. I know it’ll need tires though, as the tires on it are the ones I put on it in high school back in 2004.

Anyway I’m only posting asking if it’s worth the extra money to get a set of performance winter tires or is it all marketing? On Tirerack for example, I’ve priced a set of 225/50R16 Firestone Winterforce studable tires with a cheap set of wheels for winter for only $80 more than a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 in the OEM size of 225/45R17.
>>
>>14164518
>hey guys my BMW is unreliable garbage
>what tires should I waste money on?
>>
>>14164518
>winter
>performance
Nigger, what are you doing?
>>
>>14164518
What winter
>>
>>14164542
I like hearing people's thoughts on the subject.

>>14164533
itrollu lmao xDDDD

>>14164559
That picture was taken in the summer.
>>
>>14164518
Get hakkapalittas or ipikes. You have a fuel leak somewhere. Check the fuel rail/injectors and fittings to the fuel filter. Also have seen clogged charcoal canisters cause fuel smells and stumbling as it creates a vacuum in the tank that strains the pump.
>>
>>14164568
>That picture was taken in the summer.
No, You are obviously from Germany, Germany doesn't have winter this year.
>>
>>14164518
What's that line in the middle of the hood?
>>
>>14164586
that's not how a german plate looks like.
>>
>>14164600
It had a bra on it.
>>
>>14164581
I'll have to check that out. I can't find prices on those wheels though. You're probably right on the issue, at least as a start to the problem. >>14164586
The car is in California, I'm in Utah brah,.
>>14164600
>>14164616
Yup. It'll come off.
>>
File: 00v0v_gCeYWJz6Ooi_600x450.jpg (26KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
00v0v_gCeYWJz6Ooi_600x450.jpg
26KB, 450x450px
>>14164518
Ayyy hello my ///Man
>>
>>14164632
Might not have a nokian dealer in more hospitable areas. You should be able to source a set of i pikes at a hankook dealer

search hankook winter ipike
>>
>>14164698
Sweet ride. How do you like it? Do you live somewhere that requires winter tires, if so what are you using?
>>
>>14164740
Tire-easy.com has Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s in my size for $217 a pop with free shipping. It's more expensive than what I want to pay but based on reviews of these tires it seems worth it.

The Hankooks are cheaper, not by much though, and based on reviews seem good.

Decisions. I'm a bit of a brand whore though who prefers Pirellis though.
>>
>>14164756
I love it, but I live in texas so no. Good luck with yours br/o/
>>
>>14164836
Thanks. Must be nice, snow sucks.
>>
>>14164833
hakkas and i pikes are the #1 and #2 winter brands according to the mercedes anon from scandinavia. hakka 8s are the best
>>
>>14164518

No. If it is winter put the car down, come get it in the summer.

Last thing you want to do in the winter is be in something unreliable. As someone born and raised in Buffalo, NY. Your car dying in a winter storm can kill you.
>>
>>14164881
Interesting. Hadn't really considered studded tires, and the 8s only come studded.

>>14164895
You're probably on to something. It'd be an 11 hour drive if I can get the car running. While I'm not stupid and I'd only start that trip if the car was 100%, there might be some unseen issue. My plan right now is to see if I can get the car running when I go later this month then fly back for it at a later date. Going later when it gets warmer probably won't be a bad idea, not just for worst case scenarios like it breaking down in the middle of Nevada in a middle of a freak storm, but also to reduce my time on snowy roads dealing with idiots.
>>
fixing the interior is cheap and easy to diy, i've had 3 e36s with rough interiors, the panels just needed new plastic clips and a few screws tightened and it was all good. If it is mechanically fine a high powered e36 is something amazing to drive.
>>
You don't need winter tires.
You have more grip in snow than in dry tarmac.
>>
>>14164940
f your state allows it, run studs. nothing beats the mechanical traction of metal on ice.
>>
>>14165092
I drove it quite a bit in high school, it's a really fun car. I hope the interior is easy. Last time I was in it the interior was overall in good shape, like the dash and seats, it was those weird panels by the the back seat that had popped off. I can't remember if they used clips though. It's been sitting out in the weather for awhile now so we'll see.
>>14165195
I think I'll stick to studless, as much as I'm sure studded tire are better in the snow.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.