[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently bought a new (to me) GTI. Its a 2006 with around 96,000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: meszXx6.jpg (270KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
meszXx6.jpg
270KB, 750x1334px
Recently bought a new (to me) GTI. Its a 2006 with around 96,000 miles. Wanting to know what mods I begin with. Consensus seems to be intake and exhaust. The wheels are scuffed to hell, so I plan on replacing them. Thoughts /o/?

This is the only "good" picture I have at the moment. went for a drive today because the snow has finally melted enough in the Black Hills.
>>
Mods: none

being with: new car
>>
>>14161572
Fair enough, the only thing I plan on doing right away is the intake. I guess what I'm asking is for a list to work on throughout the cars life.
>>
>>14161567

How much did you pay?
>>
Tune, springs, tires, down pipe
>>
>>14161607
I paid $6200. I could have got it cheaper, but he threw in new tires so I didn't press.

>>14161610
Tune is a good idea, a turbo back is in the works. I want to leave it at stock height for the moment, I beach on snow as it is.
>>
>>14161627

Thats not too bad. Enjoy it man, most people on this board just talk about cars. Drive it hard.
>>
>>14161627
If your considering exterior, think about led tails and heads. You may consider replacing the diverter valve if you are upping boost. Hmmm could also go with short shifter with new bushings. Maybe a rear sway bar. Weighted shift knob. Eh all that cane be done on the cheap except the lights.
>>
>>14161679
It has HIDs in the front, I have heard people also swap in some Audi parts. The diaphragm on the turbo can leak boost, so people swap in an Audi plastic one. Just a thicker sway bar? I was also thinking RS4 wheels might look cool on a MK V.
>>
Mods : none

Id spend my extra money on maintenance - timing belts, water pump, etc etc
>>
>>14161706
I don't think wheels from the rs4 will fit, far too wide. Neuspeed will have some good options.
Swaybar maybe 25mm for some spirited driving. I'm assuming this isn't going to be a track car.
For diverter I have the gfb dv+ that I like, mk7 owner.
>>
>>14161756
So am I looking for like an 18x8? I have seen some people putting Alfa wheels on their GTIs. Not it's not a track car, more or less a back road racer that can go to the track on occasion. Maaaty and Mooog sold me on GFB, might get a short shifter kit from them.
>>
>>14161610
literally this. any body roll you have now will be eliminated by coilovers, a stage 2+ tune gets you a lot of power off stock, and sticky tires will let you put the power down. MAKE SURE the timing belt has been replaced and if not, DO IT ASAP. other than that keep up with maintenance and enjoy one of the best ff cars.
>>
>>14161567

> How to rice out a GTI. The thread.

/close
>>
File: 1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg (13KB, 248x320px) Image search: [Google]
1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg
13KB, 248x320px
>>14163329
mmm, coilovers, tune and tires are soooooooooooooo rice.
>>
>>14161567
SICK MAWDS BRO
BRO
BRO
MODS
>>
I have the same car.

After researching a bit amonst people that autocross them I'm leaving the suspension stock for now. As far as handling goes it's top notch, though it looks a bit high. It's set up to ensure all four wheels stay planted. Unless your goal is to tune it for serious lift off oversteer for some sort of racing it doesn't need much work. If you have to do something to it Koni dampers are recommended.

I'm going with APR for the remap. It's not literally the most power you can squeeze out of it but it's well know to be reliable and to not stress the engine out too much. I'll probably leave it at stage 1 but at 2 your looking at around 300hp and similar torque.

Things to know, the cam follower on the high pressure fuel pump wear out in about 40-50k miles. Have that checked, when I bought mine it was already starting to eat into the camshaft. Someone mention the timing belt, also a good idea. Guy I know with the same ride ate the belt up and may have fucked the head in the process.

Good cars over all, though a bit plain looking and unimpressive. You'll never turn heads in it, but from the drivers seat I doubt you'll care.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.