[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ITT: Costco refused to put on two tires Alright so i drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1451058410819.jpg (23KB, 480x622px) Image search: [Google]
1451058410819.jpg
23KB, 480x622px
>ITT: Costco refused to put on two tires

Alright so i drive a Buick Terraza as my DD and i needed to get two new front tires due to fwd, and they said that they cant because they switch the rear tires to the front and put the new tires on the rear for the most grip
>Worker stares at me like ik retarded for not knowing this
>Annoyed, ask him why the hell they would put the fresh tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car
Thats where the most grip is sir for acceleration
>Listen, bud, its FRONT wheel drive, all the grip from acceleration comes from the FRONT of the vehicle
Sir i dont like you understand, we have to put the rear tires on the front and the fresh tires on the rear for best grip to avoid hyrdoplanes. Oh, and your rear tires are of different years and 1/4th of an inch off in tread, so you would have to buy three tir-
>LISTEN guy, i just want two new tires on the FRONT of ky vehicle because theyre the DRIVE wheels
No can do sir, you have to buy 3
>Mfw as i just stare at him for a few minutes before shaking my head and walking away
>Go to Firestone
Two tires sir? No problem!
>Two fresh tires and they advise me to get a bearing looked at in the future

Am i fucking wrong? Why would wheels on my rear fucking non drive axel have more grip than my front drive axel?
>>
3 tires?
>>
File: 1449309150298.jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1449309150298.jpg
58KB, 640x480px
I want to say you're right, but damn the Jedi Mind Trick is fucking strong with that guy. Right now I'm even questioning my shit.
Fuck
>>
It's pretty standard these days to have 2 new tires on the rear, regardless of drive train layout. The idea is that the front of the car already has more control due to steering (and thus has more direct driver input) the rear is where any fishtailing or otherwise lack of grip comes from. I was confused by this at first, but thinking it over and taking into account my own experience with solely FWD cars, I'd decided it did make more sense.

But why they'd refuse is a mystery to me. If it's a policy, that's bullshit. If it's not then he's a cunt.
>>
>>14161605
>the rear is where any fishtailing or otherwise lack of grip USUALLY*** comes from.
>>
>>14161560
I'm former costco employee, and I can pretty much confirme you have an upsell quota to make, this guy was just going about it weird as fuck
>>
>>14161605
Correct.

Canadian Tire recommends the front tires, but that's retarded. No matter the layout, you have zero control over the rear end. However, the stability of the entire vehicle comes from the rear. Unless the old rear tires were completely fucked, putting new ones on the rear and rotating the others to the front is the only way to go.
>>
>>14161637

Unfortunately, too many people refuse to listen to the logic, causing confusion and irritation. Luckily, most people don't know/care and will ignorantly allow the tires to be installed correctly.
>>
>>14161605
>>14161637

literally this.
it doesnt mattwe what you fucking drive, your best tires ALWAYS go on the rear.
>>
I understand why you guys are leaning towards the rear, but the entire engine and transmission as well as the majority of the passengers of the van are all on th3 front tires and thus the most grip going to be needed on the front since they will have the most weight on them. It would be silly to assume more grip is needed on the rear
>>
>>14161985
understeer is easier than oversteer to manage and control. for the average pleb, losing grip in the rear would cause a spin and probably a crash. this is why the best tires go in the rear, to keep oversteer from happening.
>>
>>14161985
That's right, most of the weight is at the front. That's precisely why you need more grip in the rear. Your front end won't be sliding out when the rear is comparatively lighter. Couple that with the fact that you can steer the front end, and it's easy to see why you need more grip in the rear no matter what layout your car is.
>>
>>14162105
>>14162002
Am i the only mother fucker who knows how to keep their ass end under control or something? Front wheel drive can literally drag your ass end back into place
>>
>>14161582
I bought 3 tires once for my mom and the kids in the shop threw on 4 by accident
the sales guy noticed and fixed my paperwork to reflect basically a buy 3 get 1 free and then yelled at the kids

kek
>>
>>14161560
I work in a walmart's automotive center, we'll put two new tires on the front if you want but you have to sign a disclaimer first saying you understand the risks involved with having older tires on the rear, and it requires a supervisor override.
>>
>>14161560
so as it turns out, replacing the rears is a better option than replacing the fronts regardless of drive wheels.
Understearing is much less likely to cause a crash than over steering. If you are just putting tires on a randows car, the rear wheels are the ones you want to replace. The back wheels washing out will kill them all day, them fucking up cornering speed is one them .
>>
>>14161560
In China , We Do Not to Change The Rear Tires. If It Were To Be Rear Changed , It Would Easily Be Bigger Tire As To Expansive Life Of The Tires. Front Of The Car Is Maintained. Oil And Fuel , Cooling is Upheld For It.
>>
Don't know why OP is surprised, most US tire shops are afraid someone is going to oversteer into a sikk wikkid drifto and kill themselves, then the family will sue the tire shop for not putting the grippiest tires on the rear.

Just buy the tires wherever they want to put them, then rotate them yourself once they're mounted.

I always put my best shit on the front because I want to be able to fucking STOP.
>>
>>14161560
I don't think the guy at the shop used this logic, but putting new tires at the rear might have its advantages.
Understeer, which happens when you lose grip at the front, is always safer than oversteer, which happens when you lose the rear.
The understeer recovery technique is easier and more intuitive and the consequences of a front collision (which is what usually happens with understeer) are less hard on the driver.

Anyway, your logic is sound too, you prefer to have more directional control of your vehicle, but having more grip at the rear has its advantages too, especially from a safety standpoint
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.