[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /o/, I'm grasping at straws here. Are any of you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: photo.jpg (486KB, 2048x1362px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
486KB, 2048x1362px
Alright /o/, I'm grasping at straws here. Are any of you guys car audio experts? I've got some serious alternator whine after a new head unit install with the factory bose amp. And before you ask about all my grounds, wiring placement, etc. just know I've tried everything. More details and a drawn out picture to follow.
>pic related. The car in question.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (224KB, 1696x976px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
224KB, 1696x976px
OP here. More details.

Using factory Bose amp. Just have a new HU.

Low level outputs of HU are soldered right into the factory radio harness. From there to the amp, the bundle of low level cables are shielded.

For some reason, I ONLY get the whine when I have the right front signal cable plugged into HU. I switch it and plug it into the front left, rear left, or rear right of the HU and still get whine. So it isn't HU output specific. It's specific to the amp's right front input. I even tried running a separate line from my new HU's right front directly to the amp's input harness.

That being said, the whine completely goes away when I plug the factory HU back in. To the same plug that my new HU is plugged into.

tl;dr
Old head unit into factory harness = No whine
New HU into factory harness = Whine
Unplug amp's FR low level in = No whine
Plug amp's FR low level into any HU output = Whine
>>
>>14161183
It's a ground. IDGAF what you checked. You have a bad ground somewhere. Could even be internal in the head unit.
>>
>>14161202
forgot to add factory amps can also fuck up with aftermarket head units. get rid of factory amps.
>>
>>14161207
Everything after the radio harness is all factory grounded. Also factory HU works fine grounded through the radio harness.

I've tried grounding the new HU to the harness, the frame, and straight to the battery.
Also, I don't see how it can be HU when the RF amp's input whines when plugged into any HU output.

Don't really want to buy and install a new amp when the factory bose works fine for what I need.
>>
>>14161207
>get rid of factory amps.
This.

I mean, shit, it's a Bose, OP. I'm surprised it's not the first thing you replaced.

It's probably bad shielding/lack of shielding on the FR input, considering you're using the factory harness.
>>
>>14161233
It's possible, however how do you explain that the whine stops with the factory HU? No plugs/wires change. Just the HU.

When I add a small sub later on, I will trash the bose amp. For now though, it sounds just fine. Not an audiophile by any means. Can barely hear the radio over the exhaust anyway...
>>
>>14161256
>how do you explain that the whine stops with the factory HU?
Honestly? No idea.

The new headunit might actually be bad. Try running the outputs on the new headunit to something not powered by the car, like a laptop, and see if there's still whining.
>>
>>14161294
OP is claiming alternator whine which is RPM related.
>>
>>14161192
>Low level outputs of new HU are soldered right into the factory radio harness
>the whine completely goes away when I plug the factory HU back in
These two claims are incompatible.
>>
>>14161612
Yeah, and?

Dumping the outputs to something outside the car's power net will help him narrow the problem down to the headunit or the amp/something else.
>>
Now is a good time to rip it all out ajd start fresh. I love diyma.com for learning and lurking.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.