[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why haven't more car manufacturers gone this route with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 19gt7ui974ffbjpg.jpg (109KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
19gt7ui974ffbjpg.jpg
109KB, 800x534px
why haven't more car manufacturers gone this route with taking away the camshaft via solenoids? wouldn't this lead to greater performance?
>>
its gay
>>
>>14154253
>more power is gay

let me guess, busriding is the purist form of driving to you.
>>
wats a camshafts?
>>
>>14154248
because rotaries are better
>>
>>14154262
Why don't F1 cars use them then?
>>
>>14154286
They use pneumatic valve activation or some shit
>>
>>14154295
also bear in mind that the hydraulic fluid isn't closed circuit, so you'd have to refill it every time you started the engine.
>>
>>14154286
except f1 cars use them dumb fuck
>>
>>14154337
No. They use pneumatic valve springs.
>>
>A camshaft is reliable as fuck.
>All cylinders have the same valve events, so fewer parts is better
>If it ain't broke, don't fix it (see item 1)
>>
>>14154366
who the fuck cares about reliability in a valvetrain? it's literally a bunch of a tiny horns tooting around at a couple thousand rpm, don't be such a baby. solenoids would let them brap at like 20krpm and you'd be making 800hp stock in your honda civic miata brz or w/e the fuck. THINK OF THE POTENTIAL.
>>
>>14154376
engine electronics are super ghey. Mechanical Master Race

Is that better?
>>
>>14154376
>800hp

>cast block/rotating mass
>>
File: 1451423381185.jpg (58KB, 401x504px) Image search: [Google]
1451423381185.jpg
58KB, 401x504px
>>14154822
>a hunk of metal vs. a hunk of metal with less rotating parts

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
This is the last stand against ev.
>>
>>14154376
Its a shit idea and op is a cunt
Also, by the time that the technology is perfected we'll all be driving electric cars.
>>
>>14154376

Why do ricer fags always have delusional power expectations?
>>
>>14155822
Fuck off your batteries will cost and weigh more than the wrath of satan
>>
>>14154248

While it would allow for higher performance - true infinitely variable valve lift and timing, with less mass and space compared to overhead cam systems - so far, no one has managed to design a solenoid based system that's reliable, affordable, and power efficient. Koenigsegg is in the process of designing a system, but they're a boutique supercar manufacturer, and when they get it working it'll be in cars that cost as much as most people's houses. Eventually, it'll work it's way down to regular people cars, but who knows what the car market will look like by that time...
>>
>>14155836
bhp=torque*rpm/5252
to make 800bhp you only need about 220ftlb of torque, K20 made 290ftlb stock.
>>
>>14155916
>Koenigsegg
I'm sure their r&d budget and engineering talent far outstrips that of ford, gm, Toyota, or vag.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.