[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I look for in a trans am? Are they reliable? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5301.jpg (56KB, 640x438px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5301.jpg
56KB, 640x438px
What should I look for in a trans am? Are they reliable? How do they compare to mustangs?
>>
look for a WS6
>>
They're heavier than mustangs and their manual transmissions are trash but it's easier to find them with better engines that haven't been run hard because their were more premium engine packages available from the factory.
>>
>>14153480
The T56 is not trash.
>>
>>14153167

>Trans AM
>Post Firebird

>>14153480

SN-95s are like a hundred pounds lighter than a 4th Gen. T56s aren't garbage and they run just fine in Vipers and Supras.

LS1 with a Cam is king and they have T-Tops.
>>
>>14153167
I had an LT1 Formula with a T56 gearbox.

Blew a headgasket. Great car.

Not a great car if you're a dumbass who doesn't look at the temperature gauge.
>>
Avoid the 93-97 models with the LT1 , positive nightmare to tune up and the Optispark is cam driven , mounted right behind the water pump . If said water pump fails , you just filled up your distributor with antifreeze from resulting water pump seal/ bearing failure and the Optispark is hell to get straightened out from that mess . The '98 LS1 intro year had oiling issues . '99 to '02 are the better ones to get . As for the T56 hate , GM used aluminum shift forks in the trans , replacing those wiith vastly stouter Viper forks fixes that . The 10 bolt rear axles are weak and will break at the strip with drag radials , most of the race guys cough up the 2k for a Ford 9 inch or 8.8 rear . The LS1 is more easy to work on and mod than the older LT1s . 4 chan is really not the best place for advice on these cars, some of the bulbs are not that bright here
>>
>look for a WS6

you can easily mod the suspension of a regular trans am. so this isn't that important. WS6 means you're paying a premium

the only thing to look for in a Fbody is the fucking LS1 engine

if its an automatic car you should see if it's a 3.23 axle ratio or a 2.73

a 3.23 auto is probably faster than a 6spd, and the 2.73 car is going to be slower than either

you get the Trans Am for the looks. T-Tops, different side skirts, different bumpers, high-rise wing instead of a spoiler like in your OP pic. also ANY 98+ Trans Am is an LS1 v8
>>
File: pontiac.jpg (3MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
pontiac.jpg
3MB, 4208x3120px
>>14154860
this is my stock '99 LS1 A4

171k miles and still runs very strong, pulls like a beast. only "mod" is an slp lid. sounds good with stock exhaust
>>
>>14154890

Frosty, is that you?
>>
>>14154901
not him
>>
>>14153822
'97 and '97 had an updated design for the optispark.

There is nothing wrong with the LT1 engine.

>>14154860
>a 3.23 auto is probably faster than a 6spd

Stock vs stock, no.
>>
>>14155158
>drives a V6

not aloud to talk

A 3.23 axle ratio and a 4l60e results in overall lower gearing than a t56 car.

Not even considering or including the torque-multiplication factor of a torque converter.

combine that with intelligent torque-management and firm quick shifts, and a 4l60e 3.23 ratio car is taking off harder, and getting to 60mph faster.

i have raced 6 speed WS.6 LS1 cars and i am off first. :)
>>
File: GTA side.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
GTA side.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>14155206
My V6 got a new friend.
I picked up this '91 GTA at the end of summer.

I'm just saying stock for stock the T56 LS1 f-bodies run ever so slightly faster in the 1/4 compared to a stock 4L60E LS1 f-body. That is assuming a good driver who doesn't fuck up the shifts and launch.
Of course a modded auto with a higher stall torque converter and a set of DR's will be faster than a T56 car.

I put a 3000 - 3200 stall in my Firebird and I love it. Of all the mods I've done the higher stall converter has made the most difference.
>>
>>14155401
>I'm just saying stock for stock the T56 LS1 f-bodies run ever so slightly faster in the 1/4 compared to a stock 4L60E LS1 f-body.

why do you think this is? the vast majority of 4l60e cars are 2.73 cars.

>'91 GTA

>235 hp 3600 lbs

thats prolly slower than ur v6..
>>
>>14155416
It's common knowledge, search any of the f-body forums. With a good driver a stock 6 speed f-body is faster than a stock auto but not by a huge amount.
And 2.73 sucks for drag racing. Those are only useful as DD gears. I'm putting 3.90 gears in my '97 in the spring.

The GTA is actually pretty quick. Tons of fun to drive, it's a 5 speed not an auto.
>>
>>14155401

fucking kill yourself
>>
>>14155508
No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkXFFrpVgRQ
>>
>>14155536
>launched at like 4k rpm in a stock cam LS

muh 10 bolt..
>>
>>14155490
also

>The GTA is actually pretty quick.

its not really
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.