[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/. tl;dr 97 Saturn SL2 has a loose accessory belt. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 20160101_144957.jpg (922KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160101_144957.jpg
922KB, 2560x1440px
Hey /o/.

tl;dr 97 Saturn SL2 has a loose accessory belt. What do?

I have a 97 Saturn SL2 I'm using for my commute. Yesterday, the steering wheel got heavy, and I arm-wrestled it home (only 5 or so miles, luckily). After changing the power steering fluid, because I'm an idiot, and realizing that only solved the problem for a few minutes, I noticed the accessory belt is VERY loose - almost a full inch of deflection. Adjusting the tensioner is gonna be a bitch, but I'm wondering if that's the least of my worries. My dad mentioned I might've fucked up the timing chain during that bit of driving - is he full of shit, or is that a concern? What's the next issue I'll have to deal with, and is messing with the tensioner the right move?
>>
Never heard of an engine that runs accessories off the timing belt. youre fine, just tighten the tensioner and youll be fine

ive had the power steering belt on my Z pop off while i was driving, put it back and it was golden
>>
File: 20160101_150424.jpg (975KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160101_150424.jpg
975KB, 2560x1440px
For some reference, here's the accessory belt routing, straight from the sticker on the vehicle. Not the best picture.
>>
Wut? Find out why the belt got loose, fix it, tighten the belt.
>>
the belt tensioner on the Saturn S cars are shit. I can almost guarantee you you'll need to replace the tensioner.
>>
>>14152883
That's what I thought at first, but I found a video that made me think my dad might be on to something.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjBfdu66uZI

The accessory belt runs the crankshaft, and since I'm a newfag at all this, I don't know what kind of implications it had.
>>
>>14152883
Porsche 944 timing belt runs the waterpump.
themoreyouknow
>>
>>14152906
I tightened it a bit. About to check the steering now. How long will a slight adjust last me, and what's an honest price for the tensioner replacement? Is that something a complete newfag can do at home (with the proper guides and manuals)?
>>
>>14152907
Uh. The crankshaft runs the accessory belt. The engine spins the crankshaft, not the other way around

>>14153023
Do it yourself

Its not that hard, learn some basic shit before asking. /o/ isn't your basic personal mechanic
>>
>>14153046
>/o/ isn't your basic personal mechanic
Well, I guess I forgot the most important rule of 4chan (X isn't your personal Y), but at least I wasn't told to install gentoo.

Tightened it, steering works fine but the belt makes a horrific screeching noise. I'll figure it out.

Thanks guys! I'll start lurking here, I think...
>>
>>14153061
Just learn basic stuff. Listen to some podcasts, read some other forums.
Its a serpentine belt. It's a wear item, which it needs to be replaced every once in a while. It also has to be tensioned properly. Get a new belt and the criket 2 belt tension gague and a factory service manual for the car
>>
>>14153023

Do yourself a favor and replace the tensioner...its going to loosen the belt again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0-0oG5Hsc
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.