[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With the proliferation of ethanol in fuel this day and age How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: whitelight.jpg (9KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
whitelight.jpg
9KB, 299x168px
With the proliferation of ethanol in fuel this day and age
How would presently produced engines work with just straight moonshine?
>>
Buy a couple bottles of everclear and get back to us.
>>
The model T ran off moonshine didnt it?
>>
>>14149182
>everclear
Whats that?
>>
>>14149266
Nice subtle self bump, OP.
>>
>>14149313
thanks m8
>>
>>14149182
Terrible cold starts, the alcohol would start to oxidize inside the tank and clog the fuel lines, destroy the pump or damage the engine. Also runs very lean and can risk melting aluminum parts.
>>
>>14150039
>start to oxidize inside the tank and clog the fuel lines
lol no
The problems is it's hygroscopic.
>>
>>14150049
and corrrosive
>>
Also about 30% less energy per drop compared to gasoline.

Russians used to run their old migs on ethanol but not anymore.
Bio diesel is a more viable option
>>
I think Brazil used to have cars that ran only on ethanol. They had to stop because the source (sugar cane) got too expensive.
>>
>>14150689
I read they were using grass...like pampas grass. Something with high cellulose.
>>
>>14150039
>Terrible cold starts
Probably. At very cold temperatures, pure alcohol will precipitate out of suspension in the air at the very rich concentrations required for starting
>the alcohol would start to oxidize inside the tank and clog the fuel lines, destroy the pump or damage the engine.
This isn't a rational concern in modern cars a and hasn't been for decades. Fuel tanks aren't untreated mild steel.
>Also runs very lean and can risk melting aluminum parts.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Sure it would run lean if you poured neat ethanol into a gasoline tuned vehicle, but with a tune (or just 36% larger injectors to trick a stock ECU into adding the correct amount of fuel) it would run perfectly fine.

>>14150063
So is gasoline.

>>14150261
That's not really a problem since you can just add more fuel. The only concern is how often you have to fill up. Put a 50 gallon fuel cell in your trunk if you don't like going to the gas station.

>>14150729
I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that it's not possible to make meaningful amounts of ethanol from grass since there's no yeast that eats cellulose. The alcohol that's most suited to fully replacing gasoline is methanol, since it's synthesized from natural gas.
>>
Ethanol is lovely shit 105 octane e85 is awesome for force inducted vehicles. Lets you aid an assload of timing and boost so you get lotsa torque gain.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.