[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a good general set of tools to keep with you in order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: s-l1000.jpg (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
101KB, 640x640px
What is a good general set of tools to keep with you in order to properly maintain your car
>>
Torque wrench
>>
>>14140837
impact driver and hammer
>>
>figure out the main bolt sizes on your car
>for me this is basically 10-15mm
>buy only those sockets for now
>get more as you need them
>get a good ratchet to match the sockets, at least Craftsman tier
>breaker bar of the same
>torque wrench of the same
>basic set of screw drivers
>few funnels
>some vice grips
>a vice grip "style" oil filter wrench, all others are trash
>basic set of wrenches for when you can't fit a socket
>spark plug sockets and extensions
>jack
>GOOD jackstands, minimum 1000 pounds higher rated than your car, preferably at least a ton. This is not something to fuck with.
>internet
>shop manual
That should let you do 99% of any regular maintenance.
>>
Breaker bar
>>
>>14140837

Keep in the car? Most of the stuff you're going to be able to fix on the road is only going to require a basic socket set and combination wrenches and screwdrivers. I keep an impact driver in my trunk along with a floor jack.
>>
>>14140949
what about bottle jacks?
>>
I have this set, you can pretty much do almost everything with this set. It kicks ass.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-165-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00938165000P
>>
>>14140952
Bottle jacks are typically a little tall to fit under the frame of a car with a flat tire, for instance. Plus, bottle jacks are more about lifting capacity. They are slow as shit and aren't great for passenger cars because the lifting point is extremely small compare dot a floor jack.
>>
>>14140961
I suppose you could have stopped at too tall but yeah you're fairly right there
>>
>>14140837

I've got a 154 piece Kobalt tool set, a Stanley set(can't remember the amount), some Kobalt sockets, and a Snap on torque wrench that goes from 20-100 lb-ft iirc
>>
Keep a 7-19mm deep socket set, rachet, and extensions in my car always. A dmm, some sand paper,torque wrench, and a 10mm hex for headbolts. Also a feeler gauge.
>>
>>14140944
Ended up getting an entire kit for Christmas. Would think ramps be a good investment?
>>
In about 3 months I'm going to be stick in a military dorm so all tools have to be able to fit inside a decent size trunk
>>
>>14141161
If you have a really low car, sure. I own a Jeep so the only time I need to jack it up is if I'm doing stuff to the tires/brakes/suspension.
>>
>>14141165
Unless you were dumb enough to go Marines, you should have either your own space or only be sharing with maybe one other guy. Everything I mentioned here save the stands and jack will easily fit in a good sized tool box.

>>14140944
>>
>>14141178
Air force and I'm already stuck with a lot of that I have to take with me just need to make sure whatever I can't fit in to the dorm and still pass room inspection can fit reasonably in my car
>>
File: fitboagh.jpg (37KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
fitboagh.jpg
37KB, 595x842px
>>14140944
>get shop manual
>turn to maintenance
>mfw I know for fact none of this has been done for the last 15 years
>>
>>14141259
My dad has apparently never had his differential oil changed. His Xterra has almost 250k miles and he bought it new.

>>14141243
You should be able to.
>>
>>14141243
Just get a foot locker/tough box to store you tools in fucking pussy ass airman. Nobody is gonna tell you shit.
>>
>>14140944
bump
>>
>>14140837
Something that hasn't been mentioned is drive size selection.
Sockets and ratchets come in three common sizes.
1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"

If I could I have only one size, it'd be 3/8"
Its a general purpose size, and is the ratchet I reach for 90% of the time.
1/2" is for heavy duty stuff like suspension components but can be unwieldy for smaller jobs, 1/4" is just small stuff like valve covers and hose clips. Great for tight spaces, but you can't create a lot of torque with it.
>>
>>14140944
That's fuckin dumb buy a whole socket set, don't just buy one socket at a time
>>
>>14141870
>That's fuckin dumb buy a whole socket set, don't just buy one socket at a time
>I have never worked on a car in my life
Pro-tip: 90% of the bolts on your car you need to take off are all the same 3 sizes. It's a waste of money to get everything from 3mm to 30mm.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-11811-4-Inch-8-Inch-60-Piece/dp/B000NW9XSK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1451519213&sr=8-5&keywords=tekton+set
buy that before the end of the month and you'll get $15 off. You're not going to find a better deal than that.
>>
>>14141881
Plus you can rummage around in a pawn shop's socket bin and get half a dozen snap-on and craftsman sockets for like $3.
>>
Ive used one of these for my cars. Its really cheap right now, plus lifetime warranty is great.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-263-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00940263000P
>>
>>14141881
>>14142265
+1
flea markets are a tool gold mine and good sellers have an electrical cord to test shit out and lets you return shit if it don't work
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.