[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if anybody would be able to help me out with an issue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

Not sure if anybody would be able to help me out with an issue i'm having.

I recently got a 1985 rx7 12a out of desperation for a daily driver, and now it won't start. Sometimes it turns over, then dies after a few seconds. Sometimes if i'm lucky it turns over and idles fine, and then as soon as I touch the gas pedal it dies on me. I'm not sure what's going on here, it was fine for a few days.
>>
I'm gonna take a leap and say apex seals, because that's what always dies with rx7's.

Did it run like shit with no power the last time it still went?
>>
>>>14140282
>I recently got a 1985 rx7 12a for a daily driver
>>
>>14140282
check for vacuum leak and check fuel pressure
>>
>>14140328
I agree with this anon, be sure to check apex seals
>>
>>14140328
You're a retard.
>>14140282
OP it sounds like your accelerator pump in the carb isn't working. May be time for a carburator rebuild.
Or check for vac leaks like >>14140356
Said.
Don't ask questions here though. Go to rx7club please.
>>
File: 20140808_153442_zpse70199ce.jpg (103KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20140808_153442_zpse70199ce.jpg
103KB, 1024x768px
>>14140282
Sounds like a fuel/carb problem.

I helped a buddy get one back on the road last year, needed a new fuel tank, pump and lines, brake lines, got rid of the rats nest and put a header on it, flushed the coolant, trans and rear diff fluid..

You should do all of these things too.
>>
>>14140340
I had to trade for a volvo I had with no AC because of the winter coming up, it was the only offer I got in a month, so I had to take it.
>>
File: 19665.jpg (28KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
19665.jpg
28KB, 590x400px
>>14140380
>May be time for a carburator rebuild.
>>
>>14140395
That sucks m8. If looks pretty nice though, hope you get all your troubles sorted out soon.
>>
>>14140394
yeah i've got about 1k to put into it, i'll do what I can in the barren winter.
>>14140328
I doubt it's the apex, the engine has 8k miles on it. It ran totally fine last time I drove it (two days ago). in fact I had the same issue two days ago and fixed it by topping the oil off (it was really low), but now the oil levels are fine and it's the same thing.
>>
>>14140406
Rebuilding a carburetor is easy Anon.
>>
>>14140395
You traded a running car for one that would have AC if it ran.

Good job.
>>
>>14140412
Where do you live?
>>
>>14140417
the entire HVAC system was taken out, would have cost more money than it's worth in its entirety to put one in. the guy I traded with didn't seem phased by this, that's why he made the deal.

the volvo blew up on his drive home anyway. it's a totally messed up situation.
>>
>>14140419
detroit area.
>>
>>14140432
Ah, if you were in/close to KC I wouldn't mind working on another one.

>>14140427
>the volvo blew up on his drive home anyway. it's a totally messed up situation.
Wow, that sucks for him.
>>
>>14140412
lol you fucked up by not checking the oil before ever even driving it.

It sounds like vacuum problem to me. Could be fuel, luckily cleaning up the bowls and bleeding out the fuel line takes about an hour tops. Its really easy. Vacuum lines you can delete everything by doing a rats nest delete.
Should be an extremely easy fix.
>>
>>14140446
oil was fine when I did check it, but shortly after the deal was made I see it is very low. Strangely enough I can't find any oil leaks, and after driving it the levels remained consistent. beats me.
>>
>>14140455
You, you do know the engine has an oil injection pump that uses crank case oil to put into the rotor chamber?
>>
>>14140468
I am aware.
>>
I imagine it could be a spark issue, I checked both of them and they seem pretty corroded, lots of forums agree this could be the cause.
>>
>>14140540
Well that's a cheap fix
>>
>>14140540
fix that, then continue troubleshooting
>>
>>14140549
ya, issue is I got shit to do lol. oh well. i'll check air leaks etc while i'm at it.
>>
Go to rx7 club the bench racers here only know the apex seal meme
>>
Look for water in the gas, it's probably been sitting and has the symptoms. If it were an accelerator pump it would bog then rev.
>>
>>14141276
yeah, the car did sit for a while while he exchanged the engine and other bits from another rx7 into this one. I'll test this.
>>
>>14141276
it's also possible the gas tank has a leak, which could have exposed it a little. I notice a bit of gas has leaked from the tank so there are streams of it going down the sides. not actively, it's a slow leak, but it's certainly there.
>>
>>14141220
There was a thread a few days ago about anon buying one of these. A tripfag who has been here awhile, and owns the same car, came in and dropped lots of good info.
>other than that, you are correct unfortunately
>>
>>14140282
SPARK
P
L
U
G
S

Every time I've had a problem with my 12a, it's been the plugs.
>>
Rebuild the carb. Seriously. That' it.

Buddy bought an 79 that sat in a barn for 10 years

Little bit of oil and the 150k mile engine ran like new. The 12a is one of the more simple and reliable rotary engines. It literally won't break unless you abuse the living fuck out of it and ignore maintanance.
>>
>>14141377
already ordered, hopefully that's the issue.
>>
>>14140282
Buy a $1000 winter beater, like a rusty low mileage Hyundai or something, then figure it out in the spring.
>>
>>14142088
that's my current plan if spark plugs don't work out.
>>
I'd check the camshaft sensors, they had major problems in that year.
>>
Pull the fucking choke faggot
>>
>>14140395
Why do you need AC in the winter?
>>
>>14142353
see
>>14140427
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.