[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got a call from my brother saying he wrecked his winter car and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

Got a call from my brother saying he wrecked his winter car and if I'd trade my second car for his 1998 BMW 328i. The clutch is going out but he's including the replacement part/kit. so that's the one major thing I'd have to do to it.

How reliable are these things if I got that fixed? The car I'd be trading on my end is an 85 Nissan Stanza Liftback that needs nothing and is basically mint.
>>
bump?
>>
1:1 trade?
>>
>>14133847
You never see Stanzas, 3 series are a dime a dozen. Also, my aunt has has her 328 for a long ass time and she says it has became a money pit. She only drives her RX now.
>>
>>14134340

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. I've never seen another liftback in the rust belt. I think I'm going to probably keep my Stanza.
>>
>>14133847
>85 Nissan Stanza Liftback that needs nothing and is basically mint.

so you are willing to fuck over your own brother just to get rid of that abomination?

just sell it on craigslist
dont do that to your own brother

on the other hand hes trying to fuck you over too
>98 BMW with blown clutch

glad my brother isnt a total nigger like you

>OP cant make decision without the approval of a chinese something something site
>>
for one, just tell your brother to get snow tires and rock that e36 in the snow.

>>14134340
>328 a money pit.
i guess she didn't take good care of it?
that said, almost anything is a money pit compared to an RX, those things never die
>>
>>14133847
Kylo ren kills Han Solo
>>
>>14135575
>spoilers almost a week and a half late
really?
>>
>>14135588
anakin snywalker is darth vader
>>
How is this even a question..? Keep the Datsun you pleb. Your brother is trying to fuck you over.
>>
>>14135588
>>14135637
gatsby gets shot
>>
>>14135738
maggie shot mr burns
>>
>>14134340
Your aunties a ho and you are too
>>14133847
OP those cars are fucking invincible. I have one out in my driveway with 200k and not a single issue ever although the auto tranny is on its last legs. The build quality of the later year e36s is amazing. Your brother sounds like some kind of fag who actually thinks fwd is better in the snow (lol can't go uphill) you should take the idiot up on the trade.
>>
>>14133847
today on /o/:

OP gets convinced trading a 1985 Nissan Stanza for a 1998 BMW 328i is a bad deal

>>14134340 convinces him a Nissan Stanza is a rare collectible car

>>14135399 tells him his brother is trying to fuck him over by giving him a car with a blown clutch even though we're dealing with a $1000 Nissan fucking Stanza (literally Nissan's 1980s equivalent to today's Altima)

OP: You're a idiot if you don't do it and the 328i isn't rusty. They're great cars. Make him help you replace the clutch over the weekend.
>>
>>14134340
>You never see Stanzas, 3 series are a dime a dozen
Maybe that is because Stanzas are heaps of shit while 3 series refuse to die?
>>
the e36 w/ m52 is basically indestructible.
what kills these cars is overheating when people don't pull over after a belt snaps or waterpump breaks.

so you just have to stay on the maintenance interval schedule for the belt and idlers (cheap)
also buy a composite water pump impeller. The plastic ones fail every 90k miles almost on the dot. (also cheap)

>>14135399
>blown clutch
you know clutches are consumables right? like brake pads and oil.
>>
e36 bmw´s are best bmw´s ever made, and 2,8 engine is the most powerfull one, i would love to own one. Superb handling, but wheels dont turn much
>>
>>14136128
thats when we dont include m3 engines
>>
>>14136128
Its honestly not terrible. A E36 328i is the "budget" alternative to a FRS/BRZ. Not terribly hard to make them have 200-220whp either.
>>
>>14133847
LOL nope.

Don't get cucked by your bro's bad driving habits. There is a reason why "2nd car".
>>
>>14136744
>not having 2 cars
temperamental performance vehicle + reliable shitbox is best combo
>>
>>14135568
>i guess she didn't take good care of it?
Aren't there a lot of things wrong with yours? But yes she did take care of it well for years and years, It's BMW thats over a decade old closing in on 200k, yours has made it half that mileage and has all sorts of issues already. You have any luck selling the POS yet?

>>14135929
>Your aunties a ho and you are too
Makes sense.

>>14135958
>convinces him a Nissan Stanza is a rare collectible car
I never said that, just that it's something you don't see every day. Unlike beater 3-series driven by someone who thinks they have a nice/race car.

>>14135973
Maybe because the Stanza was a Econobox that got driven like one then sent to the scrap yard? It's not like you see a lot of 80s anything on the road anymore.
>>
>>14137163
>Aren't there a lot of things wrong with yours?
yes but it's an e39 540i, not an e36
and its at 135k now.

if you're talking about the green 328xi it's actually been really reliable aside from the TPMS shit which i never intend to fix because it's worthless .
and no it has not sold yet, i'll drop the price when i can financially the price cut
>>
>>14135399

It's a running, driving car I bought for $150, just rolled over 100k. Any sensible person would buy the car, especially considering I'm the second owner and it's never seen road salt.

>>14135568

He's not mechanically inclined to fix it.

>>14135929

He initially bought the civic so he didn't have to drive the BMW in the winter, can't say I blame him. Cars rust around here, and they do it bad.

>>14135958

He's not going to help me fix it lol. I get the Stanza is a basic car but that's okay, I knew that buying it.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I know I can fix the Stanza if something goes wrong. It's a simple, no frills car that's unique because of its condition. If something broke on the BMW, I don't know if I could afford some of those parts, let alone find someone to help me with complicated shit.
>>
>>14134340
wow this is fucking retarded. I had a 1996 323i with the same M52 engine as the 328i. 280k miles, pulled like new, only thing i swapped was the thermostat which was a 50$ fix. Drifted the shit out of it afterwards, no overheating or anything, it took a beating every day like a champ. The car did have lots of scratches and some rust issues though.
>>
>>14137485
>If something broke on the BMW, I don't know if I could afford some of those parts, let alone find someone to help me with complicated shit.

Its a 1998 BMW 3-Series.

Go outside, count how many BMW 3-Series you see driving down the street:

I guarantee you you'll find at least five in your neighborhood alone.

We're not dealing with a Ferrari here. They're literally one of the most common cars in the world. Moreso with Google and the Internet you can get the most obscure part to your door within a day Amazon Prime Shipped.
>>
>>14138334

Right... Again, if something breaks, I don't know if I can afford parts. There's a lot more to go wrong in a loaded BMW than there is a 30 year old econobox.
>>
>>14138334
Wouldn't it be harder to get parts for the stanza?
>>
>>14138881
BMW parts are not expensive when you're dealing with a mass produced car with literally millions made of that exact bodystyle. On top they're only expensive in America. It's a German Honda Civic in Europe. Just look on RockAuto/Amazon for parts costs.

My real question is if you can still get basic consumables for a 1985 Nissan Stanza like tierods, balljoints, axles, remanufactured calipers, sensors (crank/cam angle, MAF/MAP), etc. I wouldn't doubt if the parts for that car aren't stocked anymore. You barely even see early 90s Stanzas on the road still (early 90s Nissans in general).

They rusted out a while ago.
>>
>>14138881
> There's a lot more to go wrong in a loaded BMW than there is a 30 year old econobox.

Not an E36 there isn't. It isn't a 7 series luxobarge. The E36 is before BMW went full retard with electronics.

The main problem with the E36 is the cooling system. And if that car is still running most of that would have been dealt with (eg replacement water pump).

If you are talking about shit like power windows do you actually care that much if the rear window motor breaks? It's not like you'd be climbing in the back to wind down the window on a car with manual windows.
>>
>>14133847
In general, it's not a good idea to conduct business between family and friends since there's a high probability of hard feelings, justified or not.

If you have something a family member or friend wants and you're inclined to help them out then just make it a gift. Saves a lot of family drama and friendships.
>>
>>14139093
The E36 isnt a Honda Civic of Europe, VW Golfs are. Literally the cheapest cars with most parts available here. Cheap, low quality build fwd econoboxes. Also the fan base is kinda the same lol
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.