[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone into RC cars here? Looking for something relatively cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
Anyone into RC cars here? Looking for something relatively cheap (less than $300) to dick around with in the field behind my house and maybe play around with at the local off-road RC track.

How are the Tamiya TT-01/TT-02? I like all the different body styles available, really considering pic related. If there's anything better for a similar price I'll look into it. And what about remotes, there are a ton and I don't know what's good.
>>
>>14125392
as long as its not fwd you're good
>>
Traxxas Slash is what you need. The rally cars completely suck for bashing. You will be greatly disappointed. Been there, done that. You need ground clearance, and the Slash is perfect. And probably the most durable RC's out there besides the monster truck, T Maxx/ E Maxx.
>>
SC-10 and the HPI equivalent would also suit the bill fine, but they will break easier
>>
>>14125463
What's your problem with fwd it's still good
>>
>>14125492
How's the HPI crawler? I'm sure it won't be as fast but I love how the Bronco looks. If it's a no-go I'll look into the Slash or the other HPI models. Shame the Tamiya ones aren't any good for off-road, disappointed to hear that.
>>
>>14125494
>fwd

>good
>>
>>14125463
>>14125494
Fuck off dagumi
>>14125392
You'll want a Traxxas 2wd as other have said.
>>14125569
As a general rule, on road card suck off road, and the tt01 is kind of a low quality kit, like an ak47 of rc. Sooooo much slop everywhere.
>>
>>14125494
>fwd
>sports car
>>
>>14125569
Crawlers are slow as fuck. Like, 5 to 10 mph and very tippy. They have ass loads of torque though. To expand on >>14125644
, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a slash or a bandit because of their narrower tires. A rustler (more performance oriented) or a stampede (monster truck, wheelies galore ) will float over grass much easier. Get an xl5 version, a few different pinion gears, and a good charger I think they come with lipo batteries now, if they don't pick up one of those as well. Cheapo Turnigy soft-cases are fine for bashing.
>>
>>14125463
do they make fwd RC cars? An integra RC car might be cool
>>
>>14125677
Yes. Tamiya has a few FF chassis.
>>
>>14125644
>>14125660
I appreciate it, thanks for the info.
>>
Get an 1/8 buggy
>>
File: tumblr_nqmaghEUKa1r6i3luo1_1280.jpg (102KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqmaghEUKa1r6i3luo1_1280.jpg
102KB, 800x600px
What's a good gas powered rc car? Fuck electricity
>>
>>14126086
>1/8
>less than $300
>>
>>14126089
"Gas" rc run off of nitromethane and alcohol and are finicky as fuck. 10 degree temperature change? Better completely reconfigure the carb.
>>
>>14126130
Thunder Tiger EB4.
Available as nitro or brushless.
>>
>>14126190
These days they're slower than brushless motors, too. The day of Nitro cars has come and gone.
>>
I have a TC6 Factory Team Kit that I got from a friend who used it for a championship carpet race.

> i wanna go no fucks given
>Thinking about disabling the 4wd by removing the drive belt

Anyone know whats a good offset for wheels to be more flush with a 190mm body?
>>
File: IMG_20151229_074348.jpg (618KB, 1920x889px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_074348.jpg
618KB, 1920x889px
Have a TT01ED, love it. Can't fault a thing, though it is onroad only.
>>
>>14129468
>NiMh battery
>brushed motor
>
Pls.
>>
>>14129622

Had it for a month, only gets used on a painted workshop floor.

>Fight me.

Once that motor dies I'll go brushless and lipo set-up but until then why bother.
>>
OP here, went to Hobbytown and got myself a Stampede. Didn't really get to use it much, I dicked around with it out in the street a little. Wanted to drive it out in the field but it's too dark out for me to see. The thing does wheelies like nothing though, looking forward to driving it off-road.
>>
>>14127999
doesnt matter, nitro is still much more fun than electric rcs, also more demanding and rewarding, when you get it to run perfectly. Plus the smell of nitro is amazing.
>>
File: blue_bodyshellw.jpg (199KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
blue_bodyshellw.jpg
199KB, 720x480px
if you have some shekels to spare, pic related is a fucking offroad champ
>60 mph out of box
>>
HPI and Tamiya make the best touring cars
fight me fags
>>
hey rcfriends. my dad bought a savage 25 rc truck about ten years ago and promptly forgot about it. it's in the garage somewhere. would it be worth it to crack it back open and clean/rebuild it?
>>
>>14130703
go for it, just be very careful removing the piston and the sleeve, the rest you can pretty much clean with a cloth and a lot of wd40.
>>
>>14130703
Do it.
The Savage is a fucking tank. Especially the models before the Savage X.
The 25 will be somewhat slow, so you might want to swap a K4.6 engine in. Shouldn't need any modifications.
>>
>>14125392
>Tamiya TT-01/TT-02
under steer and chassis flex
stones caught in steering arms
stones stuck between prop shaft and body
ubiquitous spare parts
>>
>>14126190
>>14127999
and you have to tear them down and clean the innards after every use
>>14126089
nitro pop is highly corrosive and will eat though fuel lines and gaskets quickly
>>
>>14133059
Thats why you drop few ARO drops after you're done and call it a day, it's like brushing your teeth
>>
pumb
>>
wut rc is gud

I'm probably going to have to pick two but if I can get something beginner friendly, cheap, and upgradeable that'd be neat.
>>
>>14134224
On road or off road?
>>
>>14134238
Onroads are cool, but I'll probably have more fun with offroad or offroad hybrids.
>>
>>14134224
1/8 brushless buggy.
Thunder Tiger EB4 G3 for example.
It's durable as fuck, and even has CVDs on the front and center and aluminium shocks on the front and rear.
Even the motor and ESC are decent for the price point, which is ~300€ in Europe.

http://www.thundertiger.com/products-detail.php?id=19
>>
I got my 6yo boy a Tamiya DT-03 Neo Fighter for christmas, he loves the shit out of it.

The kit was €99.99 and included remote control, ESC and a slightly more powerful "Sports Tuned" motor.

Only needs batteries and some paint and some ball bearings while you're at it.

Plenty of bang for your buck.
>>
>>14125494
>fwd
>not shitty
>>
File: beyondmad.png (547KB, 374x667px) Image search: [Google]
beyondmad.png
547KB, 374x667px
>>14134382
>Tamiya stopped the TamTech Gear line
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.