[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4x4, AWD, FWD, or RWD which is better in the snow and Ice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

4x4, AWD, FWD, or RWD which is better in the snow and Ice?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>14123268
Winter tires are better in the snow and ice.
>>
>>14123270
That's the most important thing then?
>>
>>14123270
>RWD faggot detected
>>
File: 7QEDZ31.jpg (246KB, 1200x914px) Image search: [Google]
7QEDZ31.jpg
246KB, 1200x914px
>>14123270
no
way
>>
>>14123287
North Ontario winter was pretty shit in a 1.8t vw but I got rid of it and got a E46 M3 with star spec winter tires was amazing didn't get stuck at all no spin outs nothing
>>
>>14123268
Proper tires and don't sperg out
>>
>>14123268
AWD and 4x4 are the best in snow and ice so long as you remember you also have 4 wheel braking.

FWD is the next best. Depending on how your cars weight is balanced, you may need add weight to to rear to keep it from floating away on you.

RWD without weighting down the rear is shit tier.
Once you add weight, you'll still need to watch out for fishtailing, a LSD will help with this.
>>
>>14123537
You actually don't want an LSD because you'll almost constantly be fighting the rear end, it does help on hills and from a stop though.
>>
>>14123542
Is it even possible to get up steep grades with rwd
>>
i had a Lincoln ls and I would turn traction off in bad weather, and in for hills with sand bags in the back and proper throttle control hills were no problem,
>>
>>14123542
From what I have experienced, I've fishtailed from dead stops. Although I do see your point about LSD could cause issues.

I'll admit, my knowledge on LSDs comes from research as my work truck is fitted with a standard differential.
>>
>>14123614 >>14123537
Seems like a lot of extra things to do just to drive in the snow with rwd
>>
FWD Veloster on stock tires was easy peasy last winter.
>>
>>14123750
You dont need to do those things but they do help, my grand cherokee olny has rwd and it did fish tail and did the expected, oversteer like crazy when i started to accelerate or go around corners, good control of the gas, going 35 everywhere ,thinking ahead where i have to stop and whitch route im going to take so i dont get stuck, and it was fine but that was on shitty dry rotted tires from texas and no wight
>>
>>14123287
Yes.
>>14123307
No, I have an all wheel drive car that I can just leave in RWD thanks to tires.
>>
>>14123893
>veloster

nice mememobile
>>
>>14123593
how steep is steep?

even on mild hills last year I had problems if I had to stop approaching a red light or whatever.

Fresh snow all around, crawling from a stop SLOWLY loading up 1st gear and the back end would just walk around like a douchebag.

Until you hit about 30km/h (about 20mph in freedom units), the rear end will just sway left or right just because of not enough forward momentum

2006 G35 coupe with factory VLSD
>>
>>14123971
fresh SNOWS is what I ment. I imagine it'd be retardedly difficult to get around with dedicated summers in southern ontairo in the winter.
>>
>>14123268
Tires>>>>>>>>awd>fwd>rwd

Anything non lsd a shit
>>
>>14123939
I'd smoke your Twingo bitch.

Bring it.
>>
>>14123268
During winter conditions, AWD and 4x4 will always be the best option no matter what. Second comes FWD, and last RWD. But the grip will become better than the tires on your car. Your drivetrain is only a way to put the power to the wheels during slippery sloppery conditions.
>>
>>14123268
Chicagobro here, winter driving is just part of life.

Balanced RWD cars can be alright in the snow, but your main concern will be ice and slush. Not having to countersteer in a FWD/AWD car is a massive luxury. My 02 TL type S has powered through all conditions with zero problems.

Avoid RWD trucks and SUVs like the plague.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.