[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: its a z4.jpg (227KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
its a z4.jpg
227KB, 1024x768px
So yesterday I spent ten hours under my car. yes, TEN... HOURS. from 4 pm yesterday to roughly 2 am this morning... I was working on my car non stop.

I had to change out the giubo, csb, and shifter bearings on my 2003 Z4 (pic related though not my car). some highlights: 2 hours spent cutting through the centering sleeve using the saw blade and file of a gerber multi tool (centering sleeve is a bushing at the nose of the driveshaft that centers it with the transmission flange, that you're supposed to be able to push out with hydraulic pressure. I had to cut through it with a gerber multi tool saw because... well because I planned poorly and didn't heed murphy's law and didn't anticipate the sleeve being utter shite) taking out and putting the exhaust back in by myself. one piece from the header all the way back... waaaayyy heavier than it looks. and my neighbor called both the cops and a tow truck for me despite the fact that I pay for a parking spot in my complex just so I can do this stuff with property management's permission.

so, here is my christmas song about this experience

12 bloody scrapes. 11 dirty flakes (falling in my mouth). 10 hours laying. 9 stubborn bolts. 8 hammer blows (if multiplied by ten) 7 parts removed. 6 hours in I
m tired. 5 WHACKS TO THE FAAACE. 4 hours with a gerber. 3 angry neighbors. 2 curious cops. AND A MECHANIC CUSSING AT HIS CAAAR.
>>
Shoulda asked for a sawzall for Christmas. Why were your neighbors upset?
>>
>>14122756
could you re-write this but in English.
>>
File: 1450025496493.png (11KB, 402x383px) Image search: [Google]
1450025496493.png
11KB, 402x383px
If you were a competent mechanic you wouldn't have spent so long on that piece of shit BMW
>>
>>14122756
I don't know why people get mad about somebody working on a car near them. They are not affecting you, and you are inside your house watching TV. Why the fuck do you care if somebody's car is jacked up outside?
>>
>>14122770
well at about 1030 I started work on the centering sleeve and that was a lot of banging. then at about 1 I started putting everything together again and the exhaust, bottom plates, and support beam weren't the quietest going in. any noises in the parking area tend to kind of reverberate, I'd have been annoyed too.

I didn't anticipate the job taking so long.

I've still gotta do struts and shocks and a bunch of engine work too... the person that lives above my spot is going to hate me. at least I'm not using an impact. all hand tools for quietness sake.
>>
>>14122756
>cops
For what purpose?
>>
>>14122796
if he was competent he would own a bmw.
>>
>>14122785
what?

is my grammar that bad? or do you not understand what I'm talking about?
>>
>>14122810
>all hand tools for quietness sake.
Fuck that noise. If I didn't have impact tools I simply wouldn't wrench.
Ain't nobody got time for that shit.
>>14122812
He also wouldn't be using hand tools and doing it flatback on the ground. Like fuck that man buy a civic if you have no where to work on your car.
>>
>>14122812
I do own a bmw, thus I must be competent. HOORAY!
>>
>>14122756
(/ˈdʒuːboʊ/ JEW-boh; etymology: Giunti Boschi), also known as a flex disc, and sometimes misspelled as guibo, is a flexible coupling used to transmit rotational torque between the drive shaft and the companion flange on mechanical devices, such as an automobile engine.
>>
>>14122756
>csb
Cool story bro?
>>
>>14122820
so you must have a lift in your garage then?

how else does one work on the bottom of their car in their home garage?

also I've found I can work overall faster with hand tools than with electric. now, when I've got my own house, all pneumatic, all the way and fuck the neighbors. till then I've found power tools to be more cumbersome, unreliable, and expensive than they are worth.
>>
>>14122850
Actually yes, but it's in the garage that is not attached to the house.
>>
>>14122850
http://chico.craigslist.org/tls/5312337731.html
They aren't even that expensive.
>>
>>14122770
>>14122756
I think Sawzalls are considered illegal weapons in bongland

You couldn't hit it with a hack saw at least? Wtf?
>>
>>14122846
CSB: center support bearing. a bearing that supports a driveshaft and also absorbs vibrations. when it fails it results in the driveshaft flailing about violently making loud thumping noises if you so much as touch the throttle a hair too much.

>>14122811
I have no clue. there's an old lady that calls them every time I do a big job. typically they come by and chat about cars and what I'm doing for a few minutes and thats it. dunno what she hopes to achieve by calling them.

gerber multi tool: a hand tool that is a close relative of the swiss army pocket knife, containing many different tools. notably in this story, a small wood saw blade and a file.
>>
>>14122864
Are you serious?
That from the description itself says it's "well used". For something that's going to be holding a car over your face?
I'm pretty sure workshops need to have their lifts checked every year to make sure they're working properly
>>
File: kllkasla.jpg (68KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
kllkasla.jpg
68KB, 960x640px
> I worked on my car for 10 hours
Boo fucking hoo, that's called a day of work for some of us
6 sometimes 7 days a week
Quit fucking whining lol
>>
>>14122897
Seriously you didn't know that modern lifts have catches so if it loses hydrolic pressure it doesn't just drop the car on you?
Are you afraid of elevators suddenly giving out and you just dropping to your death?
>>
>>14122852
well you lucky fucker. I'm jealous. I've had my eye on a lift for the last year but I'm missing the garage to put it in. I get the feeling that property management might take issue with me installing one in their garage without telling them.

>>14122870
the centering sleeve presses into a hole in the end of the driveshaft about an inch deep and the hole in the sleeve that I could fit a tool through is exactly 14 mm. you're supposed to pack grease in there and then use a dowel through the hole and hit with a hammer to make the grease force the sleeve out. the rubber was degraded on mine so all I got was a spray of grease everywhere. if that happens you're pretty much fucked. there's horror stories online where people have taken slide hammers, saws, pullers, etc to a broken centering sleeve and not been able to get it out. I just made two cuts opposite of each other with the only tool that'd fit and made it collapse. took forever but it worked.
>>
>>14122903
I'm not whining about it. I regularly work 10 hour days. thats just the longest I've ever been under my car. usually I'm pretty quick.
>>
>>14122907
No cause they're suspended by multiple steel cables and not dependant on a small latch that isn't loaded up until the hydraulics actually fail.
That doesn't give me so much consolation really
>>
fucking apartments bro
architects or designers of these places must have all went to shit tier schools and damn near failed every course
They all seem to have ZERO understanding of how sounds reflect, amplify, etc and it always makes for an insanely poor living experience because of shit like OP. Which sohuldn't be a problem
>>
>>14122756
What the fuck were you even doing? I can't even tell what the fuck you were trying to accomplish.
>>
>>14122903
It's just a guy sharing his story friend, no need to get mad.
>>
>>14122903
get over yourself
>>
>>14122993
I had to remove my exhaust, the heatshield, the driveshaft, and drop the transmission to replace the flex disc, center support bearing of the driveshaft, centering sleeve, and the bearings and bushings for the manual shift system.
>>
>>14123263
I don't know how else to make this any clearer. just, imagine the entire bottom of the car from the back of the transmission to the front of the diff completely removed. any and all bracing, skid plates, pipes, everything in that area removed to get to bushings on top of the trans and all the bits incorporating rubber along the driveshaft.
>>
>>14122993
biggest thing was the center support bearing. it basically holds the driveshaft right in front of the first U-joint so that it doesn't just flop all over the place. the bearing itself was alright but the rubber had ripped. makes for some very loud, frightening thuds from the transmission tunnel and some serious vibration going down the road. also my flex disc is 140,000 miles old and was starting to crack. if that goes, the driveshaft is no longer connected to the output flange from the transmission. then while I was under there, so that I never needed to pull all that shit apart again hopefully, I replaced the worn bushings in my shift linkages, which are on top of the trans.

the centering sleeve, just disregard it. most people that work on bmws regularly don't even know its there and subsequently complain about drivetrain vibration after "doing everything" it centers the driveshaft on the output pin of the transmission and accounts for any vibration or flex that the CSB (center support bearing), or flex disc can't account for alone.
>>
>>14122903
GS400guy pls

However, I don't admire OP having to cut through that shit with a multitool. But that's his fault for not finding a better tool.
>>
File: this is a centering sleeve.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
this is a centering sleeve.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>14123319
not my best moment to be sure. but I didn't have anything else to do it. look at that... can't fit any kind of puller in there really, nothing to clamp onto.
>>
>>14123367
I prolly would've done a dremel with a little cutting wheel. Those come in handy.
>>
>>14122800
I had neighbors call in a noise complaint on me because my civic at the time was refusing to start.
Asshole neighbors are going to assholes.
>>
>>14122756
You replaced a few parts...
>>
>>14123383
I thought about using my electric jigsaw, but I didn't like the thought of not having a high level of control, as well as the travel of the blade being further than the depth of the hole. I really didnt want to damage the driveshaft.

i had a dremel, then I lent it to my step father... never did see that again. he swears the one in his garage is his and gets damn near violent at any suggestion otherwise... never uses the fucking thing, but he'll be damned if anyone else will either.

anyways, you couldnt have fit a cutting wheel in there. at least not enough to cut that through properly. there's that 4-6mm sticking out and about 1.5 cm pressed into the end of the driveshaft. the thin wall you see there tapers out to be about a 1/4 in thick in the middle with the rubber laid over it. it's a fucked up little cunt of a part with no real good way to get it out. the official BMW method of doing it is useless if there is the most minor bit of damage to the rubber.

I don't know why I'm defending using a multi tool. I planned poorly, hoping for it to work as its supposed to. I really just wanted to share the ridiculousness I ran into doing fairly normal repairs.

I really wanted to hear other people's stories of shitty wrenching too.
>>
>>14123413
still gotta do

shocks and struts all the way around
strut mounts
rear trailing arm bushings
sway bar bushings
secondary air pump for emissions
cam shaft position sensors
oil level sending unit
oil filter housing gasket
aux jack install
replace shifter boot and ebrake boot
>>
>>14122756
>and my neighbor called both the cops and a tow truck for me despite the fact that I pay for a parking spot in my complex just so I can do this stuff with property management's permission.

Holy Fuck OP, pour sugar in her gas tank, offer to fix it for her and then retract you offer as you can't work on her car in the complex. Goddamn, some fucking people.
>>
>tfw replaced giubo coupler this weekend trying to fix some bullshit
>didn't insert shaft all the way, it was fucked
>had to take off heat cover, re do it, figured it out
>something that took an hour took 6
Fuck.
>get front control arms replaced, rear bushings replaced, $1500 later
>Still feels a bit iffy, think I need to get my sway bar end links replaced
Holy shit. At least endlinks are cheap, I should be able to get the front two replaced for < $200 tomorrow, right? Fuck. I would attempt to do it myself, but I hear you need a thin wrench for some shenanigans. Car is still swaying on the road some. I don't know if it's because it's a windy day or what, but it's been driving like shit for a while.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.