[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I asked for a cordless impact wrench for Christmas and instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (283KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
283KB, 750x1334px
I asked for a cordless impact wrench for Christmas and instead got a compact drill/driver.

Can these somehow be used for the same automotive purposes that an impact driver is used?
>>
>>14115330
No.
>>
>>14115334
Thanks
>>
Its ok, if you think you want a cordless impact you really dont.

They dont do shit.
>>
>>14115365
If that's true, why does EricTheCarGuy use them?
>>
>>14115365
stop posting
>>
>>14115365
>muh airgun
nigga plz, cordless impact wrenches are the bees knees. don't be such a faggot, senpai.
>>
>>14115737

I brought some extra batteries with me to the junkyard and I got a rear end off no problem.
But they just don't have the power of a corded one.
I got one a long trucking time ago, and it fucking chugs.
>>
Good when you've got long bolts and similar that are time consuming to do by hand like wheel bolts

Never use it to properly tighten or torque shit tho
>>
>>14115752
>Never use it to properly tighten or torque shit tho
It's a better idea than torquing bolts with an impact.

OP, just get a set of socket adapters from Harbor Freight, and buy an air compressor while you're there so next time people can buy you useful tools without spending a million billion dollars.
>>
>>14115330
Return and swap out, or if you have tasks that aren't for cars, just grab a bare tool and use your existing batteries and charger, it'll be in the neighborhood of $220.
>>
>>14115745
i bought a corded one and i dont love it.
its a dewalt dw292
it failed to take my lug nuts off with it plugged right in the wall
>>
>>14115963
The 292 has 345 ft/lbs torque. If you aren't driving a dump truck, your lugs shouldn't be anywhere near that tight. If you can't get them off with that, you probably stretched them and should replace your studs.
>>
>>14115963
>>14116019
Friendly reminder to gently rotate the wrench rather than trying to hold it still.
>>
>>14115330
Nah, not for cars. But it's useful as hell around the house if you don't have one already. All that shit that you were too lazy to mount/hang/tighten/assemble, etc. can now be done in a minute b/c you don't have to run an extension cord or fuck with a manual screw driver.

For automotive use just buy a proper cordless impact wrench. They're amazing - for the same reason. If you only need to zip off a few nuts/bolts (swap a wheel for example) it's a pain in the ass to air up the compressor, plug all your shit in, uncoil the air line, etc. etc. You just grab a battery and go.

I've swapped from my summer to winter tire setup in 15 min total with one. With air, it takes me 15 min just to get ready.
>>
>>14116147
That's why I'm posting this thread - I already have two cordless drills and needed a confirmation about getting a swap.

The only difference would be $100.
>>
Definitely exchange it while you still can. Cordless drills can be bought used everywhere. People hold on to impact wrenches.
>>
>>14116019
all i can say is fuck the shop that put those lugs on

GET A TORQUE STICK IF YOU WANT TO USE THEM TO TIGHTEN
>>
File: 20151116_095106.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151116_095106.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>14115330
Don't even waste your time with the dewalt impact. Get a 20v mac tools impact. I paid $300 for mine lightly used.

They have roughly twice the torque and are built on the same platform.
>>
>>14116019
i might keep it because it was a lot cheaper than a good cordless like the 2763-22
less than half the price
>>
>>14116493
termi, is it better than the milwaukee
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Electric-Tool-2763-22-Impact/dp/B00GFUA7FC

its brushless which is a huge benefit
>>
>>14116508
I've actually heard the brushless models had a few reliability issues. On the other hand I've read decent things about the m18 fuel at garage journal.
>>
>>14116487
Or just spin them on to 1 click, and hand torque them...
>>
>>14117201
either way a lot of places overtighten.
a LOT OF THEM
>>
>>14116019

The rating on the tool means literally nothing, aside from comparing it to other tools within the same brand/model line
>>
>>14116508
Brushless isn't actually that much of a benefit, if anything a brushless tool is more likely to be fucked up by a drop than a brushed one.
>>
if tools brands were car companies, what would each one be?
>>
I bought an off brand 24v impact that does like 240ftlb and a decent sized set of impact sockets and extensions and ujoints for about $150 total on amazon. Hasn't failed me yet, only downside is if you're taking off really really stuck things the battery life is terribad, otherwise its not too bad.
>>
>>14117490
bosch would be vag
>>
I got the Milwaukee 18v impact and like it a lot, really strong for how light it is. Used to have a Matco and it ran strong for years but weighed about as much as a 1/2" air impact.
>>
>>14117304
That's wrong.

Brushless has no parts that are susceptible to a drop.

Way less susceptible than a brushed motor.

millwaukee m18 1/2 impact

1100ftlbs reverse torque.
>>
>>14117490
Dewalt is ferd.

Cheap shit that only brainwashed americans buy.
>>
>>14115365

We use cordless impacts at work to remove and add cross member bolts into our frame rails when we can't use air.

We have Milwaukees that work like a charm
>>
>>14115330
the Ryobi cordless impact/driver set is a good price from home depot
Took the trans crossmember right out of a crusty as fuck astro van with ease
>>
>>14116508
To be honest, no clue about the impact driver itself. But I can attest that Milwaukee batteries are very good. We use them at work in our cordless drills and they last a long time, have good built in overheat and charge protection, and in those drills the 20V batteries made a HELL of a lot of torque. I can imagine their impact guns would be pretty good too. Not as strong as a cord, maybe, but good for 95% of what you'll ever need it for.
>>
>>14116493

>Get a 20v mac tools impact.

Don't do this.

Get Milwaukee all the way. Coming from a tradie, the Milwaukees will have a hell of a lot more diversity in the line up. If you're looking for a right angle impact or something on the same battery platform, yeah, maybe mac or IR would be a better choice.

If you're looking for a battery platform that will do anything and everything, better than anyone else, Milwaukee is what you want to go with. They're dumping fuckloads of money into brushless and battery tech, they have actual competitors, so they can't just fuck around and sell on a name, and they're actively trying to break into new markets by bringing out better tech and performance than anyone else.

I myself have their 1/2" impact and cordless sawzall, and I'm pretty damn happy with them. The Milwaukee batteries take longer to charge than my Makita batteries, and the Milwaukee charger can't play songs, but as far as life goes, both tools will easily last a day with heavy use with no issues.

Just go with the Milwaukee to begin with and you'll be set. If you ever buy a house and need a drill/impact/rotary hammer/saw/circular saw/grinder/rotary tool/grinder/whatever, you'll already have the charger and batteries. Plus, Milwaukee tools have a history of being beat on by tradies, so they tend to build them pretty damn well, and out of Milwaukee/DeWalt/Makita, they have the best warranty on tools and batteries to boot.

Just don't buy Ridgid/Ryobi/Black and Decker consumer grade garbage whatever you do.
>>
>>14115330
I'd get a compressor and an air impact gun. There really is nothing better than that imo. Also, a compressor is just generally fucking useful for automotive stuff.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.