[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's so shit! it doesn't even make vrmm vrmm sounds!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

>it's so shit! it doesn't even make vrmm vrmm sounds!

when will this stop?
>>
dont electric motors kinda sound like superchargers at full acceleration or do you just hear wind and tire noise?
>>
I don't think I hear that too much, the big concern right now is range.
>>
>>14114161
when electric cars are good

[never]
>>
>>14114161
never

back to reddit, friend
>>
>>14114170
the motor is pretty silent
what you're describing is straight cut gears in an open gearbox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM
they sound like big R/C cars
>>
>>14114175
there is no point if they remain really expensive and only have the same range as normal cars
300-500 miles + is needed for a electric car to be better than a fun ICE car
>>
>>14114161
Electric car sound is rad as fuck.
Of we could master performance and range it'd be amazing
>>
>>14114192
ive only really heard a tesla model s and a tesla roadster drive and they sound more silent than that
im mostly afraid is how much more driver feel and enjoyment will they take out by making cars all electric
>No shifting gears
>No steering and pedal feel
>No high revving 4cyl sound
>>
>>14114192
>in an open gearbox
It's not open.

Electric motors are pretty quiet.
>>
>>14114227
as far as i know, new forumla E regulation is to have an open gearbox, or at least open enough for the sound to escape
they're trying to avoid the issue of the sport being too quiet
>>
>>14114209
you could still have a manual transmission in an electric car, it's just hard because of the monster torque. steering feel you can do with hydraulic power steering just run off a pump. pedal feel won't come back though due to no throttle cable
>>
>>14114248
I don't see how that's possible. You do realize those transmissions require lubrication, right?
>>
>>14114255
cant they limit the torque to levels that are similar to some sports cars of today?
Couldnt they simulate throttle feel?
How would a manual transmission work if the electric motor only really has one gear?
>>
>>14114255
I'd really like to know what 'pedal' feel there is with a cable throttle. It makes zero difference to me and I can't imagine how it can to anyone.
>>
>>14114274
well it doesn't HAVE to have one gear, is the thing.
just like engines, there's a lot of stuff you can do with electric motors

>>14114276
hard to describe. drive a brand new bmw then drive one from the 90s, the pedal just feels different, it might just be because of the very direct throttle response rather than the throttle response being filtered by traction control and the sport mode settings and whatever the fuck
>>
>>14114292
>hard to describe.
Because it isn't real.
>>
we already have cars that make Vrooom sounds through the speakers.

don't worry pham.
>>
>>14114260
You do realize that every transmission requires lubrication, right?
>>
File: Victory Empulse TT (1).jpg (498KB, 1920x1528px) Image search: [Google]
Victory Empulse TT (1).jpg
498KB, 1920x1528px
Watch this motorcyclist get butthurt when a GTR gets more attention than him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcAvj9KzdJY
>>
>>14114298
judging by his answer he obviously meant pedal response but derped
>>
>>14114336
I like that the GTR guy is a vaper,not sure it matters in this thread though
>>
>>14114311
indeed, and when done right, they sound good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IraXA1QNN0#t=1m42s

>>14114339
it feels like there's something more to it, but the dramatic difference in pedal response might just play tricks on the driver's perception of the pedal feel.
>>
>>14114352
you're not gonna get feedback through the accelerator. unless you mean weighting?
>>
>>14114364
i unno mang
its muh feels
>>
>>14114392
well then if i punch you in the face it's also "muh feels"
>>
>>14114192
why do these cars shift gear when other electrics don't?
>>
>>14114408
because they have gears and other electrics don't
>>
>>14114419
no shit smartass, i'm asking what's the point of it
>>
>not preferring a turbo three rotor with anti lag
>>
Batteries are awful
>>
>>14114461
this is the real takeaway from any EV discussion.
current battery technology is ASS for energy density, it needs to be at least double the current levels while staying the same price to be anywhere close to truly competitive

why can't something replace LiPo already? how many fucking battery chemistries are "in development"? WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR CHEMICAL ENGINEERS?
>>
Put that on a bicycle and I ride it. But motor cycle. They for losers. Who rides bike with gas motor. Makes no sense. Electric only.
>>
>>14114192
This is the most boring fucking thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>14114492
Lipo is old school.
LiFePO4 is the new hotness
>>
>>14114439
brushed motors need gears I think. brushless ones like in the tesla doesn't need gears because they make power over a larger range of rpm. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>14114192
>We're literally going to be driving oversized RC cars... Which are no longer RC.
>>
Why not just have speakers play formula v12 tracks at 1000db?
>>
>>14114512
It's just launches shot with a camera angle that hides speed in order to maximize car visibility, what do you expect?
>>
>>14114248
At th ppihc the electrics had to have a warning siren. The best one was the jetsons scooter sound effect. Everyone busted up laughing after they passed by
>>
>>14114545
kek, i remember the big LiFePO3 craze in RC and people kept bragging how good they were compared to lipo, then their cars set fire.
>>
>>14114192
Damn, that's some bizarre shit. I found this on the related videos tab.

https://youtu.be/q_cRqcbXAs4?t=363
>>
>>14115498
>that vid
Engine noise: |============---|
Engine noise: |---------------------------|

Are you sure you want to keep these settings?

[Yes]
>>
>>14114618
You are.
>>
>>14115498
if you don't care about range, EV has some terrifying power potential
>>
>>14114545
>LiFePO4
>not LiCo
>>
>>14115465
I can't figure out what the fuck you're talking about. Translate?
>>
>>14114161
After a couple of hundred miles when the batteries need 18 hours of charging.
>>
>>14117681
checked
>>
>>14114255
>you could still have a manual transmission in an electric car
But why would you? It's not only unnecessary, but also inefficient.
>>
>>14115260
But they already are RC.

Electric steering and electric throttle control. It's just that the remote control looks like a steering wheel and pedals.
>>
>>14117745
for fun
if it's a DC motor, it still has a "power band" in the lower rev range, so you drop a gear to get that monster torque back.

can't stall it either
>>
>>14118653
>swap to ev with manual
>tell your buddy you made a swap
>next time he drives it tell him stalling point is 4000rpm
>if he falls for it sit back and watch
>>
>>14117745
For the most part, but it's not a hard and fast rule. The fastest formula E car is a two speed manual.
>>
>>14114161
>when will this stop?
It won't.
>>
>>14103780
>>
>>14118729
The top 3 teams have 2, 3 and 4 gears respectively with very little in the championship at the moment. The single gear cars aren't doing well at all.
>>
>>14117645
th is the and ppihc is Pikes Peak International Hill Climb from what I can make out.

>>14114439
It's the same as why regular engines need gears, the motors can only spin so fast so throwing more gears at it increases top speed.

It would also let you get back in the power band, but I was under the impression that was almost entirely flat for EVs.
>>
>>14117797
I know that, but what's more is that we'll have to plug it in overnight or be dicked when we want to drive it next.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.