[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 2001 Buick Lesabre with 220,000 miles and I'm debating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 25021850.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
25021850.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
I have a 2001 Buick Lesabre with 220,000 miles and I'm debating buying another used car and selling this before it dies.

I've had the fuel pump replaced, was told it needs a lower exhaust manifold gasket and lower control arm. It overheats on interstate, has no heat (tried so many repairs with no success) has some body damage and now I'm getting a service engine soon light, I bought a code scanner but hasn't came in the mail yet. Do you think this car will last or should I get a Toyota in the 3,000 range.
>>
>>14107280
Keep it
Its rwd
So it's already better than most of the /o/ cars
>>
Get something more fun than a Buick or Toyota.
>>
Go and buy a 180* thermostat, they come with 190* but with that, they run at about 200*.
>>
>>14107290
I hope you're joking
>>
>>14107290
It's not rwd
>>
>>14107280
Just take it to a pep boys or a shop or something and ask them for a code pull

No heat sounds like bad heater core/fucked thermostat

GM V6s are easy to get to the thermostat in but remember to best the thermostat in a pot of boiling water first.

If you've overheated it mutiple times you probably put some serious aggravation on your headgaskets too so beware that.
>>
>>14108900
Do what with boiling water?

So is it worth it to get these issues fixed and keep the car? It's mostly highway miles, Tennessee isn't much for stop and go traffic. What's the average lifespan on that engine?
>>
>>14109177
Engine Thermostats are probably the most hit and miss replacement part.

If you are having a shop do it, tell them to test it before hand. You might have put a DOA thermostat in it and thats why its over heating because its not opening up.

If its the 3.8, apart from headgaskets and running out of oil, the engine will last till the heat death of the universe. 3.4 is more touchy on the headgaskets part and much leakier but still pretty solid.

Its the transmissions you have to worry about but there is much less trans strain on the highway.
>>
>>14109213
It's a 3.8, was owned by my grandpa until 150k, it's been in a few minor wrecks, ran into a ditch once but that's it. Took great care of it with maintenance. I'll replace the thermostat and see what happens. Winter is almost here and it gets so bad without heat that the windshield fogs up and I can't see and have to wipe it off every few minutes or pull over and scrape it. Almost died many times. Mechanic put in a new blend door actuator and the heat worked for a couple weeks then stopped. Flushed the heater core, nothing. Probably spent $400 on trying to get the heat working.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.