[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you restore a cars painjob? the roof of my car is faded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 870Roof.jpg (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
870Roof.jpg
46KB, 600x450px
How do you restore a cars painjob?
the roof of my car is faded and sundamaged.
not as bad as pic related but the best parts of the pic look like the worst parts of my roof.
what do i do to restore it?
>>
>>14104575
also i dont want to go somewhere and pay hundreds if i can do it for $50 and get a decent result myself.
>>
carbonfibre wrap
>>
re paint
>>
>>14104579

>i want it to been done good but it may only cost 50 dollar.

every month i got a retarted customer like this.
>>
>>14104575

Abrasives or abrasives and respray.

You can do these things or pay someone else to do them.
>>
>>14104597
i had some success with a microfibre cloth with mild cut and polish but it took 30 mins to do a tiny bit to a reasonable degree.

i realise i dont have the tools, no how and skill neccessary to do a job to a proper jobs standard but i was wondering if maybe i could do it myself as it is mildly faded.
I got a quote for $400 for the entire car, scratches and all. Theyd need it for a few days and I cant do that as i use it for work.
>>
>>14104603
ive watched videos of people working through various grades of cutting compounds, sandpaper etc. it seems very tedious.

one thing i was worried about was. if im sanding a roof, wont clear coat be removed? i'd have no idea how to go about reapplying that.
>>
>>14104610

sure you can polish thath up but the roof has places where the top layer clearcoat is missing. if there has been a repaint you can still polish the first layer of clearcoat but no matter what you'll always have edges where the last layer of clearcoat meets the first one.
>>
>>14104618
that white stuff you see is the clear coat, so if your seeing that white stuff, the clear coat is comming off, and that is what needs to be fixed.

hence why it costs so much to get fixed, they have to repaint the car.
>>
>>14104624
>>14104625
ah i see.
it seems to be the beginnings of the white stuff but very mild compared to the pic in OP.

doesnt seem worth doing myself desu, might take it to a pro.
>>
>>14104642

yes, but it would cost a lot compared to the value of the car (i excpect its an older car)
>>
>>14104575
>How do you restore a cars painjob?
by redoing it
>what do i do to restore it?
sand to bare metal, and then whatever the proper amount of sanding after priming and sanding after painting each coat is; and clear.

>$50
lol
>>
>>14104648
its 2004.
im not fussed about spending a few hundred.
ive already put a few grand into maintenance, replacing brakes, timing belt, water pump etc.
>>
>>14104664

for a whole care, you are talking about a few thousand, that is if you want it to be done right.

i can understand you consider doing that but i hope its a nice car and not just a toyota corolla or something.
>>
>>14104681
peugeot 206 gti
theyre around 5-8k
its a nicish car but still a shitbox.
im only worried about the roof as if i do some preventative bodywork right now i can avoid it becoming like pic in OP
>>
>>14104683

5-8k for a 206? do you live in the states? they are almost extinct here and cost like 2000
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>14104575
Cut and polish.
>>
>>14104683
>theyre around 5-8k

Here in Bongland, they can be picked up for as little as 700
>>
>>14104698
Haha yeah what the fuck, those crafty French cunts are conning someone here.
>>
>>14104705
>>14104695
australia senpai.
carsales here. cheapest are listed around 4k.
most owners took care of them.
all the dealers i contacted had sticker price of 6 or even 7k :|| plus all the associated costs theyd try to jew you for.

>>14104697
my roof looks somewhat like the right but milder.
i used cut and polish and it worked however by hand it would take hours.
could i nigrig a drillbit with microfibre cloth or even a buffer and do it?
>>
>>14104618

That white stuff flaking off IS the clear.

It's gone man.
>>
>>14104722

Better off buying an orbital, even a cheap one.

You'll go mad doing all that by hand.
>>
>>14104729
I'll take some pics tomorrow and post here.
its not flaking just faded.
>>14104735
do you think orbital would achieve good results?
couldnt i use a buffer and use cutting compount at various grits? is either easier or is it just preference between liquid cutting compounds and actual sanding?
ill post pics tomorrow to give you guys a better idea.
>>
>>14104575
Literally no way to fix this, repaint the car.
>>
>>14104756
pic isnt mine. will post pics tomorrow.
cant state enough how mild it is.
honestly the best of the pic is the worst of my roof.
>>
>>14104761
It's still fucked, there's no fixing that.
Clear coat is shitty like that, if it was single stage you could buff it out and get fresh paint but once clear starts to get all cloudy it's fucked.
>>
>>14104775
i took it to a place and they buffed a portion of it to show me what itd look like if it was all done.
the buffed area was not as faded anymore and was as shiny as the rest of the car.
I think i can buff it out. Ill take pics tomorrow m8 :)
>>
>>14105156
They're going to rip you off. They'll buff the faded clear coat off, and make it look shiny. But you're looking at a few weeks before the sun cooks the paint they exposed, that was meant to be under clear. Then it will look ten times worse, and only a respray will fix it from there. There is no cutting corners here, a spray gun must be involved at some point. And unless you respray the base coat, it'll never match the rest of the car.

The old days of buffing out a faded car are gone, with the paint that made it possible.
>>
Is the paint just oxidized like the red Buick, or is the clear coat detaching from the rest of the paint, like in the OP pic?
>>
>>14105315
>>14105315
so what are my options?
>>
>>14105317
It's a 2004, nothing made that late has the kind of paint like the Buick. So it's the clear.
>>
>>14105317
more like the red car.
its just faded
>>
>>14105322
Better make it Maaco.
>>
>>14105324
paints not flaking.
its really like the middle bits of the first pic where the paint hasnt flaked,but is faded.
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 754x638px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 754x638px
>>14105156
>Ill take pics tomorrow

Are you a faggot? Why would you make a thread asking people's opinions with no pictures? Sage this shit.
>>
>>14105336
i posted a pic of something extremely similar as a point of reference with a description. photos of my exact car werent necessary to get ideas of how to restore faded paint.

go back to hoarding cartoon pictures of little girls you manchild
>>
>>14105324
Clear coat will still oxidize just like the single stage paint on that buick. Clearoat is just paint without pigment added.

The point of clear coat is that it has a hardener and UV inhibitors instead of pigment. It's a protective coating. But it will still oxidize if it isn't taken care of.
>>
>>14105361
I'm aware, I've done plenty of body work. The main difference is, clear is not salvageable once it starts to go. You have to remove it, and respray. Even still, it stopped doing its job before you noticed, and the base coat is faded and won't match.

>>14105333
See above. It doesn't have to be flaking to be fucked.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.