[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have an Isuzu trooper. >be told it has a torn CV axel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Isuzu_Trooper_vl_green.jpg (396KB, 1859x1089px) Image search: [Google]
Isuzu_Trooper_vl_green.jpg
396KB, 1859x1089px
>have an Isuzu trooper.
>be told it has a torn CV axel boot.
>quoted 500 USD to replace.

>call local tire place that does suspension, ask them

>they respond "Sorry but we don't do Isuzu, see the whole system is sealed, after market boots are no longer made and to replace it would require dropping the transmission.

>look up aftermarket replacement boot online, costs 10 USD. Look up video on youtube of guy replacing boot. Took him 1 hour

>literally everything the tire place said said was wrong.

Why are so many car service places such utter trash?(Either way over priced or don't know what they are doing).

I'm not experienced enough to do it myself

What is a reasonable price for this type of repair?
>>
>>14089437
Because no one ever replaces just the boot except backyard mechanics and crackheads.

Shops won't touch it because once it's been driven with the boot split, grease has been escaping and water has been getting in, and god knows how long it's been driven like that, and thus how much extra damage/wear has been put on the C/V joint that boot was protecting.

My personal philosophy is just to ignore cracked boots. If a boot fails, I wait for the C/V joint to start clicking, then replace the whole axle.
>>
>>14089481

Regardless of if they just want to replace the boot or not, everything they said was wrong.
>>
>>14089437
>costs 10 USD
>youtube of guy replacing boot. Took him 1 hour
>I'm not experienced enough to do it myself
Do it yourself, it's not that hard.
>>
>>14089489
Because "tire places" only have like, 1 real mechanic on staff, and he's not the guy who talks to customers and writes quotes.

$500 sounds about right for a shop price on swapping in a new axle. 2 hours of labor at $150/hr plus a new axle marked up to $200. I could probably do it faster and cheaper myself, but I wouldn't trust a shop that said they could. So many shops are just absolute shit.
>>
>>14089518
(cont) but again, I wouldn't worry about it right away. If it's just a failed boot, you've probably got several thousand miles of life left in the CV joint, and they give plenty of warning before they fail.

When it starts making a "CLICK CLICK CLICK" sound when accelerating around tight corners, then you should have the axle swapped.
>>
>>14089437
If it's a 4x4 they aren't wrong. they probably thought you had a 4x4. Also I had a trooper for years. They are piles of shit to work on and hard to find some parts for. I didn't like working on it and I work in a shop. They probably just quoted you high so you wouldn't bring it in. Also, they would want to replace the whole thing because when you start crying in 3 weeks that the cv is fucked and blaming them they have an out.
>>
>>14089572

They are.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=36965
>>
If your local community college has an automotive department they can usually work on your car for super cheap. At my college if you bring the parts they will fix it for $20
>>
>>14089437
>call a place called maztech.
>obviously specialize in mazdas
>ask if they happen to have a diff mount for an rx7 lying around.
>get told that there is no such thing
>wtf m8
>get told they are fwd and he can sell me a tranny mount because the diff is in the tranny.
Never call them again
>>
>be new auto zone employee
>hired as driver
>basically doing ride along with old driver as he's transferring his route to me so he's introducing me to all the business we deliver too
>drop of 15 dollar dura last parts in white unmarked boxes with no branding stamped on the actual part to car dealership service stations
>dealership charge like 500% on these parts because "hurrrrr they're dealer parts"
>don't trust any shop anymore
>>
>>14093219
Dealership uses OEM parts unless you ask for 2nd line aftermarket parts. The shitty parts you were dropping off were for trade-in cars that wouldnt pass safety inspections. They want to make as much money off a used car as possible so they fix what it needs by the cheapest means possible which entails whitebox chinese parts. Source: I work at a dealership.
>>
>>14093345
We also drop off tons of in-oil head gasket sealant too so the car will drive off the lot and then kaboom 100 miles later. One time I dropped parts off at a dealership parts counter and bullshited for a sec with the lube tech who I went to high school with. While we were talking I heard the parts guy call a customer with "good news our warehouse just dropped of the new dealer alternator for your 2012 blah blah blah" Fuck dealerships
>>
Why would they try this shit regarding an Isuzu of all vehicles? Isuzu generally produce some of the most simple, reliable and logically made vehicles you can get your hands on... as if they'd make a retarded system like that
>>
>>14093357
>shit that never happened

Also

>headgasket sealant

Lmfao
>>
>>14093357
Also almost all OEM factory parts are stamped with the brand's name. Ford brakes have "FoMoCo" stamped on rotors and pads, Nissan Parts have "Nissan - Hitachi" stamped on their brakes, their T/B's have the name in the moulding, most plastic components have the brand in the mould as well.

Youre just a dirty liar who thinks "HUR ALL DEALURS RIP ME OFF". I will admit they overcharge a bit but its the only place that will fix it right if you dont know how
>>
Your better off going to a real mechanic. Not a chain, but an actual no shit legitimate locally owned shop with all ASE certified technicians. Those chain stores do bad work and over-charge.
>>
>>14089533

If he has freewheeling hubs he may never hear a clicking if he doesn't 4x4.
>>
>>14089572

It wouldn't have CV's if it wasn't 4x4.

They are also easy as fuck to work on.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.