[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I found out that tire company's have been jewin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: TIRES.png (75KB, 628x702px) Image search: [Google]
TIRES.png
75KB, 628x702px
I think I found out that tire company's have been jewing us.

I read an article today on Moto IQ about how to choose a properly sized tire(link at bottom). In the article it says “For ideal handling: when sizing a tire for a given wheel, I usually target a tire’s TREAD width to be as wide as the WHEEL width, or 0.5” narrower than the wheel width.” So given that advice I go to Tireracks website to check my factory size 245/45/18 tire vs my factory size 18"X8" wheel. I used MPSS as just an example. Pic related. Now in the article they states that "Most people are too focused on the number on their sidewall rather than the true width of the tire, or what will give them the best performance.[...] Instead we need to focus on the tire’s TREAD WIDTH." According to Tirerack a 245/45/18 MPSS has a tread width of 8.5" and section width of 9.6" A 225/50/18 MPSS has a tread width of 8.2" and a section width of 9.2". If you go to Tireracks "Tire Tech" page (link at bottom) it shows that "The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10 of an inch." Given the 8" and 7" measured rim widths in my example, that would mean that a 225/50/18 MPSS section width would increase 4/10 of and inch by mounting it on a wheel that is 1" wider, giving both sizes a 9.6" section width. So now my question is why am I paying 88 dollars more per tire when they are basically the same size just with different numbers on the side? This is just one example, so if you could run the same test as I did on your size of tires and report back your findings that would be great.

Links:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3974/How-to-PROPERLY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198
>>
Sidewalls are a thing. You like not having your wheels fucked to hell and back, don't you?
>>
>>14069523
>I read an article today on Moto IQ
Who?
>>
>>14069536
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say, but the tires in my example are the same diameter. So that means side wall size is the same. As I moved from a wider tire to a more narrow tire I increased the aspect ratio to keep them the same size.

>>14069540
I had never heard of the either. I this article on google while researching tires.
>>
>>14069523
>intentiinally reducing performance of your vehicle with modifications

Why?
>>
>>14069523
> basically the same size just with different numbers on the side?
Nothing about that statement is correct. It's up to you to decide which size you want or need, all the numbers are available. Tires in more popular sizes will always be cheaper.
>>
>>14070953
My point was you get the same performance because you have the same usable section width with both tires.

>>14070976
>literally prove its the same size and thus same performance
>still disagrees
But I do agree that more popular sizes will be cheaper.
>>
>>14069639
I'm talking about sidewall bulge. You see stancefags wheels with thr lips all scraped up?
>>
>>14071170
>literally prove its the same size and thus same performance
Because they have the same section width if you compare them on two different wheels? Why would you change another variable to compare two different tires? Even if you do, the tread width doesn't change.
>>
>>14071186
but the wheel is 8" and the tread and section width on both is over 8 inches

>>14071194
>tread doesn't change
Yes but 3 tenths less tread width is barely even measurable. And the wheels isn't a variable adding the 4 tenths of section width is from moving from the 7" measured rim to a 8" which is my factory size width.
>>
>>14071257
>3 tenths less tread width is barely even measurable
It's definitely measurable in the world of tires. Because of the shape of the contact patch that difference is bigger than you think when it comes to rubber on the ground. If you think it doesn't matter go ahead and get the cheaper tire, but don't think that the two tires are the same.
>>
>>14071281
I guess you could be correct. But In my situation I feel like buying a fraction of a inch smaller tread width will be better than buying a not as good tire compound to meet my budget. I'm looking to spend around $150 per tire and the best in that price range in my factory size in Continental Extreme Contact DW, while still a good tire MPSS is better.
>>
>>14069639
>>14069540
>never heard of moto IQ

what a bunch of plebs
>>
>>14071381
I have the extreme dw. It's a pretty good tire and fucking fantastic on wet roads. It's a shame that michelin doesn't see the need in offering the mpss in 17s though. They're neglecting a pretty large market of 90s-00s performance cars by doing this.
>>
>>14071431
I know its a good tire. Multiple people on my car specific forum praise them, but the tread width for the 245/45/18 is 9.7 inches. I feel like that will be to much bulge on my 8" wide wheel to get the responsiveness in the corners I am looking for.
>>
>>14071546
If you're looking for sidewall stiffness then you should actually stay away from the extreme dw. The sidewalls are pretty soft which actually aid in providing traction but takes away from steering feel and responsivess.

I'm not quite sure why you think tire width and wheel width should be similar, but that's not really how tires are designed. If you have ever seen a tire dismounted off a wheel you would notice the bead of the tire is significantly less than the overall width by design. Ideally you want your bead width and wheel width similar both of which have nothing to do with section width or tread width.

If steering feel is really what you're after then you can't really get much better than nearly bald stretched tires with a really short aspect ratio.
>>
>>14071813
>I'm not quite sure why you think tire width and wheel width should be similar
From what I have read tires should be the same width as the wheel or slightly narrower to provide preload on the sidewall to not deflect under hard cornering loads. I drive a Saturn Sky and hit the back roads around my house often and also autocross. It seams like all the fastest autox and time trial guys run a tire the same size tread width as their wheel.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.