[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an exhaust leak and my dad has a coupon for Meineke. Should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 1450068280241.gif (1MB, 245x173px) Image search: [Google]
1450068280241.gif
1MB, 245x173px
I have an exhaust leak and my dad has a coupon for Meineke. Should I bring it there?
>>
Sure, you're gonna get hosed anywhere. Why not let meinike talk you into a complete system?
>>
>>14068661
Haha, I know, that's why I'm asking you fucktards. <3

But seriously. I don't even know how bad the leak is because I haven't had a chance to get under it. My dad is a dumbass boomer who thinks a corporate coupon does anything. My baby-boomer's-baby-brother mechanic friend from work can probably look at it this weekend, maybe. Fumes are coming in my cabin sometimes, and sometimes the exhaust pops in second gear when I let off the throttle. I will have to pay my dad back for the repairs. I feel like I'm answering my own question. Fuck corporate shops.

Thoughts?
>>
>>14068677
Take it to a specialty shop, an shop that's focused on exhaust work. less likely for them to fuck with your car.
>>
>>14068652
if its a slight leak, make sure your manifold bolts are torqued. Or if u have the will and want, and your engine compartment isnt a pretzel, replace gasket and bolts. Dont do it yourself if its a high mileage car, or if u dont have a way to drill out and re thread engine heads if u break a bolt.
>>
>>14068688
Meantime is a big chain they're not going to fuck with a customer's car. They're just going to upsell everything they can.

You could probably rockauto an entire system for the price of the repair if you have a car guy friend to help you.
>>
>>14068705
>car guy friend
Have you not read the threads here? you NEVER let a car guy friend work on you vehicle....

Learn to do it yourself.
>>
File: 489016-microsoft-hololens.jpg (203KB, 740x417px) Image search: [Google]
489016-microsoft-hololens.jpg
203KB, 740x417px
>>14068688
I would if there was one in my area, but there isn't. Just a bunch of "bobby's tire extreme service center and landscaping" type shit. I'm just gonna wait for my buddy from work so we can both look at it together and maybe I can learn something. Plus I can probably pay him in cheap beer and weed.

Anyways, lets keep this thread going. How did you get started working on cars?
>>
>>14068677
Start the car, get a cloth or something so you don't burn your hand and hold it on the exhaust so that you stop the flow, and while you or someone else is doing that, look under the car and hear where the leak is comming from.
>>
>>14068712
>get started
I put a ricer intake on my 90 automatic corolla. A few years after that I bought a beater accord and learned to do actual work, then bought a 92 Integra and did my first headgasket, after that it was just what ever I wanted to try. Bottom end is the only thing I have left to try. I've done crank bearings with the engine still in the car, which was fun.
>>
>>14068707
I work on all my friends cars. And I said help.
>>
>>14068726
That doesn't change the fact that most of the time, either A: they fuck up your car and then never help fix it. or B: they take it apart and never get around to fixing it.

There are some good friends, but the vast majority of your "car" friends, don't actually know fuck all.
>>
>>14068699
It's got 180K on it, and it's a subaru, so I think that qualifies as a pretzel'd engine compartment, yes?

>>14068705
Yeah, I already have brakes and struts that I need to put on from rockauto, that's what I'm gonna do.

>>14068707
Why not?

>>14068722
Exactly. That's what I think me and my roommate are gonna do tonight.
>>
File: 1450323099450.png (225KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450323099450.png
225KB, 640x480px
>>14068730
Well the guy I'm talking about has access to a race car shop and he's a hydraulic mechanic where I work. I've seen him do plenty of shit. He's good. But you're half right. You just have to be careful who you let fuck with your car because if they DON'T know what they're doing, they can and WILL fuck it up.
>>
>>14068730
The hardest job it could be is a cracked manifold. Op could prob do it with a socket set and a Chilton.

I do understand your point though. I have had people flake on me when it came time for me to need help. They no longer get help.
>>
>>14068737
Fuck those are super easy. Never have to get off the creeper.
>>
>>14068748
what do you mean by a chilton? the socket wrench thing with the 90 degree bends?
>>
>>14068772
Never mind go to the shop.
>>
File: 1449715726807.jpg (1MB, 2304x3072px) Image search: [Google]
1449715726807.jpg
1MB, 2304x3072px
>>14068757
The manifolds are right on the side of the motor, that's right. So what exactly am I checking? The bolts that go to the heads, or the bolts that are connecting the downpipe(?) to the positive flow end of the manifold?
>>
>>14068798
Who's to say you're the one who needs to bring their car to a shop? You can't even answer my question. Elitist motherfucker.
>>
>>14068802
Look for carbon tracks. Common failure on subes is valve cover starts leaking, soaks the exhaust manifold gasket and it fails.
>>
>>14068812
rage made me typo

*who's to say you're NOT the one who should go to a shop

Is it the fucking manual? Google's not being very specific here, because I don't know what the fuck I'm looking for.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.