[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What four-wheel and what two-wheel vehicle would you choose for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 47

What four-wheel and what two-wheel vehicle would you choose for an unassisted around-the-world trip?

Rules:
>You have to fix everything yourself
>You'll need to carry tools
>You need to carry crucial spares in/on the vehicle
>You'll be camping
>You'll be taking the scenic route wherever possible
>>
Tacoma and klr
>>
99 gmc K1500 suburban
99 gmc c1500 suburban

All posts below this were made by cucks
>>
>>14067883
Pajero 2 or 4 and Africa Twin.
>>
>>14067896
>water cooled bike
>round the world
>>
VW Beetle
VW Beetle with 4x4 conversion
>>
File: 4266756995_866974b2c5_b.jpg (509KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4266756995_866974b2c5_b.jpg
509KB, 1024x768px
W123 because you can't fix thing that don't break.
>>
Hilux and XT600
>>
James Bond's boatcar
>>
R32 Skyline GT-4. Fit massive mud tires to the bastard and use Frontier springs to raise the ride height.
>>
Literally my car - 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. And an Audi with Quattro
>>
File: earthroamerxv-jp2.jpg (42KB, 571x374px) Image search: [Google]
earthroamerxv-jp2.jpg
42KB, 571x374px
For a bike you're really spoiled for choice. I'd probably take the DR650 for having the power to lug a lot of shit without being too heavy for the rough stuff, and air-cooled simplicity. A DR350 would be even better if you're really committed to slowing down and avoiding tarmac as much as possible.

For a four wheeler I'm really not sure. I like the idea of a Wrangler. It'd be as good off-road as anything, but not as ponderous as a Land Cruiser or similar. You'd an older model with simpler electrics, but I'm not sure what would be ideal. Also much easier to get ahold of gasoline than diesel in many out-of-the-way places.
>>
>>14067971
What the fuck. I'm sure you've all heard of Godwin's law.

/o/ needs to have something called Hashimoto's Law or some shit: "As an online discussion on /o/ grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning a fucking Skyline approaches 1".
>>
File: Wagon.jpg (57KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
Wagon.jpg
57KB, 800x520px
My body is ready.
>>
>>14067883
Range Rover, might as well do it in style and comfort
Or if money wasn't an option, the Mercedes 6x6 with a converted truck bed into a sleeping area.

I know fuck all about motorcycles, so no idea
>>
>>14067997
Call it Hachiroku's Law and use it for every variation of the 86.
>>
Norwegian military-spec Mercedes Benz G240D with more aggresive tires

As for a bike... my old Honda PX50R as it would die just as I got off my street, meaning I could stay at home. Bikes for me are for sunny days and recreational use, not long trips
>>
>>14068006
You seem to have missed the fix-it-yourself requirement.
>>
Just keeps on going and going
>>
>>14068017
>Bikes for me are for sunny days and recreational use, not long trips

Am I wrong in assuming way more people do round-the-world overland trips like this on bikes than cars/trucks?
>>
Diesel Hilux
Honda Motocompo
>>
>>14067883
I'd just take the biggest military truck I could find for the 4-wheel thing. Big, simple, durable, and reliable. Stick a tent or camper shell on the bed, and load it up with the spares and enough fuel to last between filling stations.

Two wheels, there are bikes literally designed for this sort of thing. I would take one of those.
>>
>>14068024
More that I know of at least.
>>
>>14068023
As for 4x4, I would take a Hilux or an old Willy's
>>
>>14068036
Bike: Yamaha 250cc Two-stroke
>>
>>14068030
>Two wheels, there are bikes literally designed for this sort of thing. I would take one of those.

Bikes designed to LOOK like they were design to do this sort of thing.

Trying something like this on one of those huge BMW or KTM "adventure bikes" would be a terrible idea. They weight a tonne (good luck picking it up when you drop it for the 10th time on some shitty trail), are full of fancy electronics to break, spares would be totally unavailable locally, too fancy to work on yourself, would be a rolling "ROB ME I'M RICH" sign...
>>
File: 100-category-2.jpg (503KB, 2015x1027px) Image search: [Google]
100-category-2.jpg
503KB, 2015x1027px
>>14067883
The 100 series Land Cruiser.
These things are tanks, and if something breaks, you can fix it with WD40, gorilla tape, scissors and some cable ties.
And of course having a basic toolkit helps.
It carries a breddy good load, it's got one of the greatest engines ever built, suspesion is out of this world, it's all reliable as hell - what's not to like?
>>
>>14068057
Oh yea, just forget about how those bikes race the Dakar.
>>
>>14068066
>These things are tanks, and if something breaks, you can fix it with WD40, gorilla tape, scissors and some cable ties.
No, that's bullshit and you know it. There's pretty much no car you can genuinely repair in this way.
>it's got one of the greatest engines ever built, suspesion is out of this world
You really think that highly of the 2UZ? What's so amazing about a 3 link radius arm suspension setup?

It's a great car, but I think you're a little deluded about it. And cars in general.
>>
File: jeep-jk-8-1.jpg (994KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
jeep-jk-8-1.jpg
994KB, 1280x853px
>>14067883
4WD: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK pickup conversion, powered by the Pentastar V6.

2WD: Baja style, Subaru EJ205 powered late 1960s VW Beetle.
>>
File: cruiser.jpg (180KB, 697x525px) Image search: [Google]
cruiser.jpg
180KB, 697x525px
>>14067883
>4 wheel
A 100 series Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel with relatively light mods, probably towing a little single axle trailer. Pic pretty much related.
Fuck camping, put a little pop top sleeping thing on the roof.
I won't need to fix shit, especially as long as it has a 'high-flow shit' tune that drops the boost when i need it to, that section going through the middle of nowhere china looks like it'll be needed then.

>2 wheel
Iunno, probably an F800 GS Adventure all optioned up. Can live on the trailer most of the time, keep in reserve in case i fuck up the cruiser and need parts/fuel/hoes
>>
>>14068078
>V8
Or rather than being a faggot, you could talk about the 1FZ-FE or the 1HDs, which are found on the non-shit (ie, not american) 100 series along with the solid axle front end.
>>
defender and a bicycle
>>
>>14068078
People are posting W123's and 245 Station Wagon's and I'm delusional?
Look, maybe I'm exaggerating, yeah, but this is a car that could realistically make the trip.
Sure, the 2UZ isn't the greatest engine when it comes to HP per liter, but the engine is durable as all hell. I mean it has a cast iron block and it was always designed to be low-rev, high-torque pickup and offroad use.
>>
>>14068143
The bicycle is 1 wheel drive.
>>
>>14068024
Probably not, hence why I said "Bikes FOR ME"... its just what happens once you live in a place where you can comfortably drive a bike for about four months per year if you're lucky
>>
>>14068163
defender and a tricycle
>>
File: odyssey77.jpg (78KB, 750x300px) Image search: [Google]
odyssey77.jpg
78KB, 750x300px
>>14068004
This. My dd, as its already been proven!

>Ken Langley and Garry Sowerby crashed their Volvo DL wagon through a red-and-yellow paper finish line and into the record books for the fastest-ever drive around the world. With Sowerby at the wheel and Langley navigating, the 'Odyssey 77' team drove through 24 countries across North America, Australia, Europe and Asia. They had to drive the equivalent length of the Earth's equator -- 24,901.55 miles. The two Canadians arrived at the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada at 2:11 p.m. EST -- 74 days and 51 minutes after their September 6 departure, three days ahead of schedule. They drove 26.893.75 miles (43,030 kilometres) to eclipse the previous mark of 102 days set by American Johnnie Parsons in 1976. They conquered Australia's desolate outback, India's tropical jungles and the arid semi-deserts of Pakistan. They drove through five communist nations, bathed on the sunny beaches of Monaco and southern Spain, and stood on the Arctic Circle in swirling snow at Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland. The Volvo had only minor mechanical problems. In the rugged outback, dust penetrated the voltage regulator, a flying rock cracked the windshield and a rangy kangaroo dented the fender in a losing, fatal game of chance. A sharp rock pierced a front tire when they slipped off a flooded road in India and a front shock collapsed on a washboard secondary road in Sweden.
>>
File: glorious-i6-master-race.jpg (138KB, 817x475px) Image search: [Google]
glorious-i6-master-race.jpg
138KB, 817x475px
>>14068163
The OP said nothing about drive, he asked what 4-wheel and 2-wheel car you'd take.

Hence why the people with reading comprehension in this thread are posting cars and a bike of some sort.

>>14068144
>Actually talking about the 2UZ
Fucking ew
Pic related.
>>
File: Lada_Niva_front_20080228[1].jpg (453KB, 1746x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Lada_Niva_front_20080228[1].jpg
453KB, 1746x1122px
>>14067883
Lada Niva.
Always broken, never stops.
>>
>>14068019
Figured that'd be a given, I'd just shove the parts and tools on the roof rack, or in the rest of the space I'm not using
>>
>>14068175
Too bad it's not possible to do something like that today. Durkas would capture you as soon as you got to the middle east.
>>
>>14068168
still 1 wheel drive.
>>
>>14068180
>he asked what 4-wheel and 2-wheel car you'd take.
exactly. As in power is sent to either 2 or 4 wheels.
Stop being retarded
>>
>>14068185
I really don't think you'd be able to fix anything on a new Range Rover unless you're a Range Rover mechanic in a Range Rover shop.
>>
>>14068199
Learn to read you dumb cunt, if he meant 4 wheel or 2 wheel DRIVE the post would contain the words
>4 wheel drive
and
>2 wheel drive

It doesn't, so fuck off you pedantic silly cunt.
>>
File: kent-bicycles-westport-tricycle.jpg (295KB, 1908x1428px) Image search: [Google]
kent-bicycles-westport-tricycle.jpg
295KB, 1908x1428px
>>14068192
>>
>>14068189
A lot of the world it'd be easier, at least insofar as there are nice smooth roads all over Africa and Asia that weren't there 20 years ago.

But yeah, the Middle East becoming a complete shitshow makes it really hard to drive between Africa, Europe, and Asia. Real shame.
>>
File: toyota_mojave_truck_2wd_4.jpg (942KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
toyota_mojave_truck_2wd_4.jpg
942KB, 1600x1200px
Completely sorted RN42 Hilux. 8.4 comp and 2 bbl will drink 3rd world fuel. It will need minimal spares.
>>
>>14068199
That's called four wheel DRIVE and two wheel DRIVE.
>>
How do modern fuel-injected engines deal with adulterated fuel (i.e. watered down). That's really common in a lot of countries.

With a carbed engine you can just drain it but you wouldn't have broken anything.
>>
>>14068214
You can avoid most of it.
Go down through pakistan and you only need to deal with southern iran/iraq then straight through saudi arabia and across to egypt/sudan.

If you started in aus you could go through europe over iceland and greenland and still get close to the equator distance if you went through alaska, meaning you miss the entire middle east/africa/south america
>>
>>14068232
Actual modern ones have a knock sensor and just pull timing, the problem is a lot of the cars these plebs are posting from the 80s/90s with EFI that can't do that sort've shit, they'd just knock their ass off.

If you HAD to take a petrol (diesel would be smarter), you either need to make sure it can run on 85RON trash before you leave and/or have a modern one that can make itself gutless when needed.
Would help to carry around one of those 20L cans of octane boost
>>
>>14068232
They'll both run with water in the fuel the problem is sediment and other solids blocking the fuel filter and plugging up injectors. It's relatively easy to pull the carb hat and poke out some jets and swap fuel filters on a carb engine and you can turn two screws to mess with the idle and mixture.

Modern obd2 would prob trigger limp mode if fuel was really poor.
>>
>>14068237
AFAIK can't transit through Saudi because they only give visas to workers, and they don't give tourist visas period.

With Yemen at war precluding crossing there by ferry (if that was ever an option), the only option from Africa would be to drive through Sinai (sketchy), take the ferry to Jordan (because driving 10km through Israel would make you inadmissible to Iraq, Iran, etc.), then drive through Southern Iraq (sketchy, particularly in the West), and then on through Iran, or perhaps up to Turkey (not sure if that's possible without going through ISIS territory).
>>
>>14068244
Is it OK to put petrol into an older diesel? (or any diesel)

You can get petrol pretty much anywhere in the world, but I don't think diesel is nearly so available.
>>
>>14068262
If you were doing this you would be wise to have 2 big, easily swapable fuel filters no matter the type.
Things like a pre-filter for the air intake, etc, and then just carry a whole bunch of spares.

5L can of octane boost and keeping a 20L jerry full of good quality 98RON/93AKI as much as you could would go a long way to helping, too.
Assuming you have a 150L tank, 5L of high octane shit + 1L of boost would turn even the shittiest of cheap fuel into something quite usable, and doing this 4 times would absolutely get you through a shit country.
>>
File: Trailer_Everest.png (148KB, 540x292px) Image search: [Google]
Trailer_Everest.png
148KB, 540x292px
>>14067883
lc70 troopie and pic related
>>
File: 680.jpg (777KB, 1600x1160px) Image search: [Google]
680.jpg
777KB, 1600x1160px
>>
>>14068276
You'd have to work it out beforehand, if you couldn't go through saudi arabia then the entire trip is fucked because you'd get caught up in the middle east trying to not get beheaded or blown up by the russians.

My australia trip is sounding better by the minute. Hell, start in southern new zealand and then head over to aus, go all the way across and then go up through indonesia, thailand, etc through china and into eastern europe, then drop down and follow the coast through italy/france (would be nice as fuck in anything other than a cruiser), through the UK, across iceland, quick little hop in greenland then across canada and alaska.
Would that cover the distance needed?

>>14068291
Only up to certain percentages. Running 5-10% petrol is common in colder climates, AFAIK in things like the cruiser and hilux you can go up to about 15% without too much harm.

Diesel is slightly harder to get for passenger cars, but hence why i specified high flow tune. Everywhere has to have truck diesel, and if you combine that with how little you burn and the big fuck off tanks in the cruiser (100 series have 145L by default, you can fit a bigger sub tank) and it would be a better choice.

There are parts of the world where not needing to stop for 1000km would come in very handy.
>>
File: trucks-in-west-africa-6.jpg (103KB, 713x450px) Image search: [Google]
trucks-in-west-africa-6.jpg
103KB, 713x450px
>>14068291
>but I don't think diesel is nearly so available.
wat
>>
>>14068347
You're going to fly a vehicle from Aus to NZ? And then from Aus to Indonesia? Would cost a fucking fortune.
>>
File: 1447275753156.jpg (89KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
1447275753156.jpg
89KB, 1200x801px
>>14068207
>>14068224
my mistake. Change the Beetle in my own answer to a modified Indian Scout then. New or old models. Modded Indian Scouts used to be kings of hill climb events.
>>
>>14068295
I would have cleanable replacable mesh filters. 100 micron before pump 10 micron after. Prob a full aeromotive setup if I was going around the planet.
>>
>>14068359
Bro, how the fuck did you think you'd cross any of the other waters you need to?
Throw the shit on a ship, it's your only choice to get across the atlantic anyway.
>>
Secure the postie to the back of the 4wd and load it up with extra diesel and and tie rod ends.
>>
>>14068132
The 1FZ isn't that special, either. Better than the 1HZ, though. 1HD is fine, but it's still not the world's best engine.
>>14068144
The 2UZ isn't particularly durable. The 3UR is a huge improvement.
>>
Volvo 245
And some Husqvarna motorbike.
>>
>>14068407
>put motorbike in the back of the Volvo
Absolute madman
>>
Pajero 80 swb

Interior will fall apart, itll be slow, but nothing mechanically will breakdown.
>>
>>14067883
Definitely a cherokee XJ fully outfitted for over landing and a Honda XR400.
>>
Alright so my more detailed plan now includes a 100 series with a bit of a lift and essentially just high quality parts all around it, with a 95L main tank and a 65L sub tank combined with a 2.5L surge tank for maximum fuelage, no trailer and only 2 people on the trip so the rear seats get removed and replaced with a flat floor + hidden compartment deal.
Inside will have a basic toolbox, 2x20L jerry cans and a 5L can of diesel octane boost, bunch of random spare parts especially with bits like random lengths of hose and scrap metal, the most important parts, 3x spare wheels+tyres with a couple tyre repair kits, little diesel generator+compressor.
Center console fridge, enough supplies for at least 2 weeks with no resupply, machete, gun (where legal), etc.
Skid plates all over the bottom, engine fully refreshed with new strengthened cooling solution, triple batteries and a block heater and a boost controller for those times when you're running putrid shit fuel.

No trailer, pop-top tent thing on the roof and you're fully self-contained.
200L of diesel means you're good for well over 1200km even in shit terrain, and it's a cruiser so if you don't cheap out on the parts it'll be absolutely perfect.
>>
Something to consider: if you want to do safari park camping in Africa (a big part of why you'd want to do a trip in a truck) you need to camp off the ground, so either inside the vehicle or one of those roof tents. Would also be a good idea for bears in other places.
>>
>>14068479
Aw shit i forget where to put the bike

Alright, it's now an electric push bike on the back behind the original spare.
>>
>>14068479
>Diesel
>Octane

Do you mean cetane? Dont forget to bring decent fuel filters with all the garbage grade diesel you'll be getting in those third world shitholes.
>>
Suzuki Jimny
>>
>>14068437
>XJ
LOL
>>
File: ef-shuttle-4.jpg (121KB, 630x421px) Image search: [Google]
ef-shuttle-4.jpg
121KB, 630x421px
4 wheel: stanced civic wagovan and a 20l jug of vape juice.

2 wheel: stanced civic wagovan after first pothole.
>>
>>14068501
Yee
Pretty much just take nulons entire catalog:
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_Treatments/Pro_Strength_Diesel_Fuel_Booster
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_Treatments/Total_Diesel_Fuel_System_Cleaner
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Engine_Treatments/Heavy_Duty_Diesel_Engine_Treatment
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Engine_Treatments/Engine_Stop_Leak
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Radiator_Stop_Leak
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Specialty_Products/Power_Steering_Stop_Leak_and_Conditioner
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Specialty_Products/Manual_Gearbox_and_Diff_Treatment

That last shit is magic, shut my falcon diff right up
>>
A toyota hilux with the artic pack because any other choice won't beat that and probably a rally mini cooper so i can ride dirt roads for miles
>>
>>14068531
How did i forget the single most important bloody part:
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aerosols/Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_Starter
>>
>>14067883
4 wheeled is easy, MAN TGM 4x4, 2 wheeled is harder as I'm straight.
>>
>>14068507
I've thought about this before (a long overland tour in a Jimny). Would be super cheap to fuel. Could put a tent on the top. Just not sure how legit they can be made off-road.
>>
>>14068551
Why not take the 1.3 samurai?
>>
>>14068560
Same idea.
>>
>>14068561
I'm pretty sure the 1300 makes more usable power than the 660 turbo and has less parts to break.
>>
This tent is slick as fuck.

Is there anything wrong with the Wrangler? I know people hate them because of the people who drive them, but as a vehicle do they lose anything to a Land Cruiser or Defender?
>>
>>14068594
Well for one thing, good luck getting parts for a wrangler in iran.
Meanwhile, cruiser/hilux parts are everywhere.

And defenders don't need parts, they either work or they'll never move again, no real in between state
>>
>>14068613
Why doesn't Jeep compete better globally?

It's a brand with a lot of global awareness (there are Jeep brand clothing stores all over here in Korea, afaik brits use 'jeep' as a generic for all off-road 4x4s...)
>>
>>14068632
Does Jeep even make vehicles in right-hand-drive? That's needed in Africa and South Asia for starters.
>>
>>14068594
Not a jeep person, but that is legitimately fucking awesome.
>>
>>14068594
The Wrangler is a toy off roader for Americans. That's as apt a description for it as I've ever heard. They can't really handle the tough terrain involved in remote travel and they have no parts support outside of North America, either.
>>
>>14068641
Yes, there are RHD Jeeps.
>>
>>14067883
>traverlling only through 3rd world shitholes

scared.jpg
>>
>>14069872
fuck off with your akari shit
>>
File: akarin!.jpg (774KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
akarin!.jpg
774KB, 1920x1080px
>>14069878
NO!
>>
>>14069872
>traverlling
>calls others 3rd world
>>
>>14069894
mad 3rd worlder detected
>>
>>14069893
>>14069901
no one likes you fagboi, fuck off
>>
>>14069901
>invented the language
>butchers it worse than your spiked cheese teeth tear through tree bark
>has no response other than hurrrdurrr umaddddd
>>
File: 1377662101935.jpg (78KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
1377662101935.jpg
78KB, 340x565px
>>14069910
>english
>invented by englishmen
>england is not part of the route
>"hurr durr"

>>14069907
why are you mad
>>
>>14069923
What in the fuck does a language have to do with an expedition? You are one retarded eurokek. No wonder nobody wants to drive through your area.
>>
a rebuilt AMC hornet
>>
File: nw.png (193KB, 295x329px) Image search: [Google]
nw.png
193KB, 295x329px
>>14069940
>this buttmad over a joke

top kek amerimads

look buddy, that trip route takes place ONLY in 3rd world coutries, that is pretty scared
>>
File: earthroamer-xv-lt-6.jpg (160KB, 575x390px) Image search: [Google]
earthroamer-xv-lt-6.jpg
160KB, 575x390px
>>14067883
>>
>>14069948
>damage control because you think you're first world and STILL can't speak the language you invented
>>
>>14069948
>that is pretty scared
>scared
>scared
>scared
I wouldn't expect anything less from a jealous retarded inbred racist weeaboo. Stay mad nobody wants to drive through whatever shitty country you're from attentionkek.
>>
File: 1445745377812.jpg (60KB, 392x411px) Image search: [Google]
1445745377812.jpg
60KB, 392x411px
>>14069954
>thinking in british

kek

>>14069964
>this mad

kek
>>
>>14069977
>bitches about "inventing" a language and now backpeddles saying hurrrr I'm not even from there
>actually being such a retard you don't realize what a hypocrite you are and completely invalidate your argument
European edumacation
>>
>>14070007
>>bitches about "inventing" a language
wat, i never did
>>actually being such a retard you don't realize what a hypocrite you are and completely invalidate your argument
what argument you fucking autist?
>>
>>14070028
Kek. I knew you were an illiterate weeb but seriously? Your whole argument was English was invented in Europe and the route doesn't go through there.
>calls me autistic and is the one whining about a hypothetical route not going through yurop and does nothing but post animoo shit and says umad
>>
>>14068175

Was it stock?
>>
File: Treser Hunter.jpg (72KB, 800x369px) Image search: [Google]
Treser Hunter.jpg
72KB, 800x369px
I'd probably take this and a Suzuki Van Van 125 and just be gone for a whole year because >100 kph top speed
>>
>>14068144
>People are posting W123's and 245 Station Wagon's and I'm delusional?
The OP asked suggestions for 2WD and 4WD vehicles.

Also, it's /o/. You don't take it seriously when people repeatedly post Miatas in "best trucks" threads, do you?
>>
A land cruiser. Duh.
>>
File: Goku_(PeePee).png (43KB, 231x211px) Image search: [Google]
Goku_(PeePee).png
43KB, 231x211px
>>14068089
>only one engine option
>names engine option
>>
>>14068613
>>14068632
>>14068641

For a while Chrysler didn't have the capital to expand into foreign markets, and while the Wrangler was always popular, it only broke 100k units/year with the newest generation in 2007.

However, now that FCA has greater global interest, they're starting to export other Jeeps around the world. The only plant making Wranglers is in Toledo, and that's already churning trucks out at full capacity. If FCA has plans to expand Wrangler production, we might eventually see it grow overseas. At this point, supply seems to be the limiting factor, judging by the MSRP.
>>
>>14068066
Or an 80#, pretty much anything with a 1HZ/1HD.

>>14068078
Please do research before giving your 2 cents worth. There's an awful lot of variation worldwide even between the same model of vehicle.
>>
>>14070613
>There's an awful lot of variation worldwide even between the same model of vehicle.
I actually own a 100 series LC, so what knowledge do you have that I wouldn't?
>>
>>14070646
I've been working with them on a regular basis for approx 8 years now. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've seen my fair share to know what I'm on about.
>>
Diesel Ural Motorcycle with a sidecar.
>>
>>14067883
Cant find it now, but there is this family that is probably still driving around the world in a converted F350 with a Caterpillar engine.
>>
>>14069942
Shit, I've never heard of circumnavigating the Americas. AFAIK Northern Brazil and Venezuela are sketch as fuck.
>>
>>14072350
Venezuela is fine if you stay out of the cities, aside from the bureaucracy. Darien Gap is super sketchy.
>>
In Africa I saw tourists traveling in huge "overland" trucks like this. Seemed like an isolating way to travel to me. Prices seemed reasonably IIRC given the 'comfort'.
>>
big tough guy driving around the world is too pussy to visit australia ROFLMAO
>>
>>14070529
There were 2 different engines depending on model year. 2008-2011 JK's used a 3.8L pushrod V6 that had trouble making 210 HP.
2012+ models use the Pentastar 3.6L with makes 280 HP.
The fact he said Pentastar just means he wants a 2012+ model.
>>
>>14070480
>The OP asked suggestions for 2WD and 4WD vehicles.

This is OP. I clearly said FOUR-WHEEL VEHICLE (i.e. car or truck) and TWO-WHEEL VEHICLE (i.e. motorcycle, or perhaps bicycle for the truly hardcore)
>>
File: DSC08636.jpg (186KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08636.jpg
186KB, 800x532px
I'd have this
>>
>>14069828
[citation needed]

People do serious off-roading in Wranglers(not sure how modified they need to be). The approach angles look as good as anything. Suspension is simple and what you'd want in a tough off-road / expedition vehicle. Drivetrain looks simple and dependable (inb4 muh diesel). What's the problem?
>>
>>14072359
>Darien Gap
I'm pretty sure you just have to take a ferry to Colombia (i.e. bypass the gap).
>>
File: 25-6.jpg (80KB, 1000x706px) Image search: [Google]
25-6.jpg
80KB, 1000x706px
>>14072361
forgot pic
>>
>>14072402
You CAN go through the gap, but there is no way in a 4 wheeled vehicle. There are crossings that are only done by Canoe so if going by motorcycle, bicycle, or hiking you can cross.

Otherwise you just pay for the ferry
>>
>>14072420
I think robbers and militants are also a concern.
>>
File: P1000223-XL.jpg (185KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1000223-XL.jpg
185KB, 1024x768px
>>14072428
Yes the area is heavily run by drug traffickers.
>>
>>14072486
Have you done this?

I'm gonna ride down to Mexico (from Canada) with a friend this summer. He's on a time limit, but I'll be free to keep going down through Central and South America if I want, although I'm not sure it's worth the expense (especially since I'll need to cross the gap twice to get the back back).
>>
>>14072390
It's weak shit.
>>
>>14069923
>>england is not part of the route

Because it's not got a land connection to anywhere except the rest of the UK. You'd have to load onto a train or a ferry to get to and from.

> 3rd world countries
Tell me more about how adventurous it is to drive on paved highways, stay in motels, and live on packaged food purchased in cities.

I tried that shit, only riding buses instead of driving. Shit got boring fast.
Road tripping while doing my own driving has resulted in sitting on a motorway for a few hours, then turning off and following the sat-nav to my stop for the night before parking and wandering around the local area.
Although Yorkshire was beautiful to drive through, it wasn't very adventurous. The only panic was when my phone rang while trying to overtake a lorry, and the display showed it was work trying to get hold of me.
Weren't even trying to get hold of ME, either, the cunts. Not my fault my name's similar to someone who happens to be banging the manager.
>>
>>14072499
You trying to get robbed or killed?

I wouldn't do mexico, let alone central or south america.

Their fuel sucks in some places as well. 85 octane woo.
>>
Unimog

Fuck yo bikes.
>>
File: product-trailbreaker[1].jpg (39KB, 700x413px) Image search: [Google]
product-trailbreaker[1].jpg
39KB, 700x413px
For two wheel definitely a Rokon Trail Breaker. Probably modified so it can go faster.
>>
File: dog-pooping.jpg (219KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
dog-pooping.jpg
219KB, 1200x480px
>>14067883
Legacy gt wagon and a motorized bicycle. Reliable and under 10k total
>>
File: DSCN0672.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0672.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
I don't think some of you realize how robust these little fuckers are. Pic of my old KLR.
>>
>>14073833
I'm planning to do Baja with a friend this summer down to Cabo (from Canada), and then I'll ride back with him to Tijuana and then down through Sonora and points beyond myself. Not sure if I'll leave Mexico (for Central or South America) since borders are a hassle, and I'll be legal in Mexico for 6 months (term of import permit and insurance). A taco is a taco I figure.

I'm not a drug dealer so I'm not worried about getting caught up in that. Robbery is some concern, although I don't think Mexico is known for stoplight stickups (I think that's more of a Brazilian thing).

My plan is to buy and take a DR650, with just a rucksack strapped to the back.
>>
File: IMG_0719.jpg (342KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0719.jpg
342KB, 1280x956px
I did the cliched Vietnam on a Chinese Honda-clone 100 this spring (all the way up the country and then all the way back down). Little bike struggled in the mountains some, but it got me every place I wanted to go. Not bad for $300.

You can go pretty much anywhere on pretty much anything. It's really just a question of how fast you want to travel.
>>
>>14067883
a vw beetle and some kind of soviet scooter
>>
>>14073969
Bang any Viet hoes?
>>
Stanced S2k
Un offroadable bro truck
Some fucking street bike that realistically is out of my league like a busa
>>
>>14074314
Nope. I live in Korea and haven't been with any of them either. Japan is the only country in Asia with attractive women imo.
>>
File: s_gwt1.jpg (143KB, 800x695px) Image search: [Google]
s_gwt1.jpg
143KB, 800x695px
I have always liked the GW but I have never tried to fix a broken one so I dont know how well I would fare out in the middle of nowhere
>>
Heart says Defender (learned to drive in an older one) but brain says Landcruiser 105.

For bikes, a KTM 690 Enduro R since the non-chink BMW G650s are difficult to find now and the Husqvarna Terra 650 lasted all of a few months (fuckers, I finally got enough shekels to buy one and they were gone)
>>
>>14074553
>Husqvarna Terra 650
I hate that I missed this bike. It was exactly what I wanted.
>>
>>14068029
To the moon and back on a Honda motocompo.
>>
I saw a (white) guy at the top of a mountain in Cambodia who had what looked to be his own private overland truck (a little smaller than pictured, newer and more expensive looking). Don't know why I didn't ask him what was up (I happened through this quite remote place on a scooter, he was chilling on a lawn chair by a little lake). I seem to remember thinking he was German (maybe there was a flag on it).

Is it a thing for rich retired Germans to go tooling around in hardcore overland trucks, the way retired North Americans do in RVs?
>>
>>14074954
referring to >>14072407
>>
>>14074954
You know, I do see a lot of Germans with off road RVs.
>>
>>14074962
I've never heard of an off-road RV.
>>
File: action-mobil-0.jpg (145KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
action-mobil-0.jpg
145KB, 960x640px
Google to the rescue.

This is how I'd live out my days if I was rich.
>>
>>14075014
How do you get the bike down?
>>
>>14068175
>a swedish side street crippled its kneecap

heh
>>
honda NX 250
>>
>>14075020
http://www.actionmobil.com

Company is Austrian. Fucking incredible vehicles.
>>
File: 01.jpg (357KB, 1100x650px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
357KB, 1100x650px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMV7a91pIWk

I just can't wrap my mind around the kind of person who'd buy this: that wants a live-in catering staff, while traveling around the back roads of the third world.
>>
File: 023012-earthcruiser.jpg (69KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
023012-earthcruiser.jpg
69KB, 650x366px
>>14075005
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
if money was no issue, i'd take one of these,

can you believe that actually put a petrol V8 in this? highway MPG 5 CITY 3MPG, top speed 45

but it'd go anyway, and looks sexy as hell
>>
>>14075070
imagine being worth like 5 billion.
you could race a sponsorless car for 50 seasons of formula 1 and never work a day in your life if you wanted.

these niggas have so much money they cant even get rid of it
>>
>>14072350
>>14072359
The issue is that there is a stretch of intractable rainforest, I believe thats the Darien gap and the only way around it is a ferry.
>>
>>14067912
this
>>
>>14075683
You can cross it, but it will take a long time. The biggest issue isn't even crossing it. It's dealing with those who inhabit it.
>>
>>14075227
why? diesel is superior in all ways in truck
>>
my polo & 50cc moped
because thats what i own
>>
1999 Toyota Hilux
Drz400
>>
File: 4081.jpg (5KB, 125x112px) Image search: [Google]
4081.jpg
5KB, 125x112px
>>14067883
>ctrl + F
>Nissan patrol
>zero results
useless cunts.
>>
Or a Brat.
>>
File: 402570010_eb4e23b9f0_b.jpg (490KB, 1024x757px) Image search: [Google]
402570010_eb4e23b9f0_b.jpg
490KB, 1024x757px
>aircooled, fuck water
>oil man, go full mad max
>space to sleep and storage stuff
>you can find any engine parts in a grocery store
>most common engine in the world

Add gas, change oil, run.
Easy.
>inb4 hippie gommunist
>>
>>14075797
diesel doesn't like being cold
>>
>>14076294
Replace with air cooled Synchro and you're completely good senpai.
>>
>>14068346
Read the tex on this
>compare to the pervious record set by a Pontiac Grand Prix
>Pontiac Grand Prix
>Grand Prix

I own an american car and I'm scared just reading that
>>
File: 125645782461345.jpg (568KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
125645782461345.jpg
568KB, 1600x1200px
>>14067943
My man.
>>
>>14072499
No but I have done lots of research because I would like to.

>>14073833
>Everything is dangerous
>Just stay inside and play video games, where it's nice and safe.
>>
>>14077309
Man up. Ether only hurts diesels when used in excess.
>>
>>14067883
GTR.

It's AWD and will never break down.

Not even trolling, top gear took a gtr through the worst roads of the NT down here in australia and let me say, those roads are fucking hell on earth.

If a GTR can (surprisingly) withstand that shit, i'll take it anywhere.
>>
>>14078317
There are places with roads way worse than Australia, and It really isn't a matter of how much it breaks down, but how easily it can be fixed WHEN it breaks down.

If at only one time during the 25,000 mile trip any computer problems arise then it's over. If something as simple as a camshaft position sensor goes, then it's over. The GTR is an amazing machine but the complexity makes it too much of a risk on a trip around the world.

I'd pick something between 1955 and 1990, with a manual trans and fresh clutch, a few spare suspension components, and brake/hydraulic fluid.
>>
>>14078424
I dunno, australia's roads are great except for NT.

Gravel roads with literal spikey rocks sticking out of nowhere and sinkholes that can trap your car.

Fucking terrifying.
>>
original 70's yamaha xs650 with some updated suspension/tyres

and

series II or III land rover.
>>
>>14073948
might want to look into the two aussie surfers who were murdered in mex like 3 weeks ago. doing nothing wrong, driving around, bam, burnt out corpses.
>>
>>14078476
Shit

>The tourists, both 33, had driven from Canada and arrived in Sinaloa on a ferry from the Baja California Peninsula in November. They were heading to the western city of Guadalajara to join Mr Coleman's girlfriend there.
>But the burned-out van was discovered on November 21.
>According to state prosecutors, the van was intercepted by a gang driving a car that flashed police-like lights.
>Mr Coleman was shot in the face when he tried to resist. The robbers then killed Mr Lucas, drove their vehicle to another location and set it on fire.
>Three suspects were arrested and two others are being sought.

I suppose the solution is don't stop for anyone.
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.