[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /o/, have a question for any mechanics or otherwise super

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: full-2007-Kia-Spectra_11939_1.jpg (32KB, 503x377px) Image search: [Google]
full-2007-Kia-Spectra_11939_1.jpg
32KB, 503x377px
Sup /o/, have a question for any mechanics or otherwise super capable car buffs here.

I have a 2006 Kia Spectra EX. Had an issue with the driver front turn signal socket breaking and not allowing the bulb to make good contact: the light stopped working.

So being the bright guy I am, I decided to get a more generic socket and wire it up.

Now the bulb works when the running lights/head lights are on, but the turn signal/hazards don't work. They don't indicate on the dash and the lights don't blink.

Is it a relay? I looked at the fuse and it looked good, but I'll also try replacing that before I try to replace the relay. The real kicker is that this car doesn't have just a turn signal relay, but I think it has a body control module instead. :-S

Pic semi-related, year model of Spectra after mine.
>>
>>14061558
Solution: sell it and buy a car that isn't Korean.
>>
>>14061558

I'm no electrical wizard but could it be that the aftermarket socket uses more draw than the last one?

I don't know if it's the relay because then wouldn't the signal lights stop working too?

Do you think it might be the switch itself?
>>
>>14061601
That's gonna happen very soon, never fear. Just need to get it to limp along til then.

>>14061619
Maybe it does use more draw. If that's the case I'm gonna have to go to a salvage yard and get another one from a similar car.

Could also be the switch... I'd like to replace cheapest parts first.
>>
>>14061558
What socket? The connection or the 'socket' the bulb base attaches to?
>>
>>14061635
Socket the bulb base attaches to.
>>
>>14061645
I re-read, you mean the connector. I'm guessing you wired something wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by 'generic' connectors, bulb connectors are standardized. The only explanation is that either the connector is bad or you messed something up.
>>
>>14061661
The fact that the light turns on when I turn the headlights/running lights on would indicate that it's at least getting power and grounded...

And when I say generic I mean I didn't go to the Kia dealership and get a direct replacement, but rather a socket that would fit my bulb. Had two wires and a ground thing on the side.
>>
The new socket uses the same bulb? or at least the new bulbs have the same number of filaments?
>>
>>14061665
New socket uses the same bulb which is a 2357.
>>
>>14061667
Oh that's weird then, assuming the wiring is identical

Are you able to run 12v straight to each hot wire on the socket to see if the bulb shines? Or a test light/voltmeter to stick in each hot wire of the socket to see if you get 12v steady for running lights and 12v pulsing for turn signal?
>>
>>14061693
There's no pulsing for the turn signals period. Not even the green arrow indicators inside.
>>
>>14061702
For either direction of turn signal?

If you only replaced one bulb, you'd think it would only be one side that's being overdrawn or whatever. If both directions are screwed, your problem lies deeper than the bulb; a fuse or the switch.

Could have been caused by bad wiring of the new socket, though, so quadruple check that this wasn't the case before replacing anything else (awfully coincidental for it to happen when you replaced something and be unrelated).
>>
>>14061724
I wired it 3 different ways, so what I assume happened is that it overloaded and blew a relay or the switch. Now that the light is working, I can at least confirm the socket is wired correctly. I checked the fuse for the turn signal (10 amp fuse) and it didn't appear to be broken, so now I think I have to go for either the switch or the relay. Again, it's not just as simple as swapping the relay because there isn't a sole turn signal relay, but rather a body control module.
>>
>>14061738
So are both turn signals fucked (both sides)? Or just that side and the hazards? Should narrow down your search a bit.

Multimeter is love, multimeter is life.
>>
>>14061738
Even if the front turn signal wasn't working, the rear should still blink I would think. If it doesn't I'd look at relays and shit.

Try changing the fuse anyway, they're cheap. or at least take it out an reseat it.
>>
>>14061770
Both sides, yes.

>>14061772
Yeah I'm gonna do a new fuse first, then go from there.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.