[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pump the accelerator a few times or hold it down for a few seconds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 4704062236_95a2f8847c_b.jpg (410KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4704062236_95a2f8847c_b.jpg
410KB, 1024x768px
pump the accelerator a few times or hold it down for a few seconds? I have an old classic car that is non-fuel injected so each morning I have to primp the engine with fuel to start the car. I have a Q-Jet Carb. I always pump it a few times and then start the car and it starts up fine but I also heard that if you hold the pedal down all the way for about 3-5 seconds and release and then do it again for another 3-5 seconds then start the car that works too? Also. after the car sits for a while, lets sat an hour the gas in the carb goes back to the tank and you have to hold the pedal to the floor and crank the starter to force start it and rev it once? How do you cold start your classic?
>>
File: IMG_4747.jpg (224KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4747.jpg
224KB, 1280x960px
I turn the key.
>>
>>14061163
So, that means your is fuel-injected?
>>
>>14061118

I press the pedal to the floor and let it up, then start the truck. It sits for weeks at a time in the garage and never really acts up, but it does crank for a few seconds if its the first start in a while.

Pressing the pedal down with a qjet will force the booser pump to squirt out its fuel into the intake, but once the carb is drained from doing that you need the fuel pump to be running to refill it.
>>
>>14061179
No. I use Lucas oil and kn air filters that helps alot
>>
My mopar sun visor says to pump twice and hold the pedal about 25% when starting. Or something like that, worked for me.
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 640x478px
>>14061118
Sweet g-body. I personally tap it once or twice to wake her up in the morning then she's good to go the rest of the day.
>>
>>14061250
Sounds like my girl friend in the morning. Give her one or two taps to wake her up.
>>
>>14061254
Haha you don't have a girlfriend
>>
Factory Q-Jet in my Pontiac. Stab gas once, turn key.
>>
Honest question, what does pumping the pedal do for a carb? I thought the pedal only controlled the valve. How would that pump gas anywhere?

I thought later carbs had auto choke functions.
>>
>>14064776

There's a small booster pump that squirts fuel into the intake proportional to how far you press the throttle. When you lift, it refills from the carb's supply for the next press. This is in addition to the throttle opening the throttle plates and secondaries for airflow.

This is on my Quadrajet, your results may vary.
>>
>>14061118
stab gas once then hit the key. still need to use the choke to warm it up. q jets are shit. swap for holley instead. save up for a aftermarket bolt on efi system.

all you are doing when you stab the gas is priming the carby for cold start
>>
>>14064840
Oh neat thanks
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.