[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I absolutely retarded for wanting to buy a 240z and restomod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

File: muh240.jpg (179KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
muh240.jpg
179KB, 720x479px
Am I absolutely retarded for wanting to buy a 240z and restomod it and then put a viper crate engine in it?

I want this so much.
>>
File: t07_y1036_1.jpg (300KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
t07_y1036_1.jpg
300KB, 980x735px
As long as you dont make it look ugly as sin, mate.
>>
>>14060658
This isn't forza, a restomod and "put in" a viper crate engine isn't just the push of a button.
>>
>>14060668
I'm perfectly aware of all the things I have to do it "put in" the engine. Did I trigger your autism or something by using a widely accepted term?

also forza is shit
>>
gross

shit tier idea
>>
>>14060679
Why?
>>
Wouldn't a Viper engine be half the size of the fucking car itself?
>>
>>14060673
Aware of all the things. Not the guy you responded to but it's custom fan.
>>
>>14060658
Crazy? Not really. Unrealistic? Very.

The S30 chassis cannot handle anything north of 375hp without major frame modifications, I.E. stitch welding, roll cage, strut bars, etc. If you go north of 700hp, you're looking at a full tubular chassis, custom frame rails, completely new subframe and suspension stuff, etc. This is all $75,000+.

And we haven't even talked about the engine yet! You're gonna have one hell of a time fitting that engine in without cutting the bay, just due to the sheer size of the engine. And this is all for, what.... 800hp?

Yes, it is possible. Yes, it is a fucking bad ass idea. No, it is not practical, unfortunately.
>>
>>14060686
Viper crate engine
>>
>>14060658
>viper engine somehow fitting in a Z
>he thinks this is a good idea to begin with
>>
>>14060692
B-b-but what if I have that kind of money just for this idea?

I want this so much anon.

>>14060694
>denying it would be cool
>>
>>14060693
> http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/1941/7340

Viper crate engines pham
>>
>>14060705
yes that is incredibly gross
>>
>>14060701
It just doesn't make sense. A viper engine is retardedly huge and retardedly heavy, better off to go with an I4, I6, or maybe V6. You're also way overkill with power, it's a light little car and it's not designed for anywhere close to it.
>>
>>14060701
It's not really realistic. Even if you could fit the engine you'd be spending absurd amounts of money.

I'd probably put a dorito in it for laughs.
>>
>>14060701
B-b-b-but what if I had the money for a pony?

Shut up you don't have the money. Also as the other anons have said, its not a good idea at all if you ever intend for the car to be anything other than a drag car. The weight distribution will be beyond shit, and it just isn't necessary. I hate V8 swaps, but an LS, hell, even a Coyote makes more sense than to swap the 8.1L into it. Really, dude. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
>>
>>14060715
>I hate V8 swaps
Wouldn't it be a V10? Not that it matters, an LS3 or something would make way more sense. Even then in a car that light you could use a plethora of smaller engines and it'd be way less of a head fuck.
>>
>>14060715
>Shut up you don't have the money

I mean. I live in a paid off house I make over 300k a year.

Just because I'm 33 and moderately wealthy doesn't mean I cant post here

>thinking having money makes you not an autistic fuck
>>
>>14060716
Yes, what OP is suggesting is a V10 swap. I'm not too hot on them, but I'll take them over a V8 swap, hence my comment.

>>14060717
Daddies allowance, maybe.
You know how I know that you don't make that much money? Because you can't be stupid if you truly make that much money, and this is a stupid idea.
>>
>>14060727
I'd probably go an S85 instead if I wanted a V10, but I'm with you here, there's no reason to put that sort of engine into that sort of car.

Money, size, etc aside--it's also just a bad idea.
>>
>>14060727
Well. It is my dad's house. He's dead though.

>daddies allowance

My dad never made shit friendo. I'm a trauma surgeon.

> You can't be stupid if you truly make this much money

my sides are in orbit m8. You clearly don't know many doctors. We know medical shit, nothing else
>>
>>14060658
yes will be too much weight over the front end. if you are going to resto mod a datto 24 ounce use a chevy LS instead. the350 has been going into these for years. even the japanese swap the straight 6 with a 350 chev.
>>
>>14060687
>>14060692
>>14060694
>viper engine somehow fitting in a Z
>You're gonna have one hell of a time fitting that engine in
>Wouldn't a Viper engine be half the size of the fucking car itself?

No. I just did the maths, and they should be about the same length. Viper ended up at 555mm from start of first piston to end of last piston, L24 at 565mm from first to last. Of course, that's excluding the water jacket (which will be bigger on the Viper) and the cam drive (which will be bigger on the L24), but all in all, they should be similar in length.

As far as width goes, of course the V10 will be wider, but it still fits without cutting.
As far as height goes, the V10 even has an advantage because it can actually be lower than the L24, with a lower CoG, if you get rid of the stupid high intake manifold and substitute it for something swap-friendly.

Proof that it can be done:
http://www.carbuildindex.com/23418/short-take-datsun-240z-with-viper-v10-engine-swap/
Yes, they cut the firewall - but I suspect that's more to get the engine further back, for better weight distribution, than it is to get it to fit.
Also, keep in mind you're subsituting a heavy, iron inline six with an aluminium V10. Sure, it might be heavier, but not as much as you'd think.

>>14060715
>LS swap makes more sense
Yes it does. Putting Viper engines into stuff isn't about making sense though.
>Coyote
Highly doubt that a Coyote will be lighter with it's DOHC drivetrain. It'll also be wider than the already-tried pushrod V8 swaps, so you might have to get creative to get it to fit.

>>14060750
>weight dsitribution
This is the major problem you'll be seeing with this swap. Unless you set the engine bakc half a foot into the driver's compartment, it's not going to handle as well as it used to.

>>14060705
>37 grand
Dear god. You can get a crazy Nelson twinturbo LS for that kind of money. Or just go for an all out race build with a destroked LS7, high compression heads and ITB's,
>>
>>14060765
L24 is about 260lbs. Viper V10 is 650lbs.
>>
http://www.carbuildindex.com/23418/short-take-datsun-240z-with-viper-v10-engine-swap/
>>
>>14060777
More like 325 for the L24. Exactly half of the Viper.
>>
>>14060765
Well I don't really care about handling.

Just want a viper engine in a Z.

The engine does cost alot and thats the main reason why I asked here.

all these people are so mad at me for this idea. I have no idea what I did.

its nice.

What kind of hp are those twinturbo nelsons putting out?
>>
>>14060789
>Well I don't really care about handling.
You should. Otherwise, it'll only be useful for straight line racing (1/4 mile or flying mile), your choice).

You can also get a junkyard Viper engine for way less, maybe a tenth of that price if you look carefully.
Of course they're mad, you're kinda ruining a classic sportscar know for it's handling. I kind alike the idea - but ina more perverted way.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/pricesheets/lsx/hotrod/tt/hrs_454lsx_tt.pdf
1600hp@14 PSI of boost on race gas.
>>
>>14060791
It'd be useless for that too with so much weight up front.
>>
>>14060797
Nah, you can fix most of that with suspension setup, and a bit of engine setback. Putting that engine too far back though, with a good-gripping rear end, in such a light car, would mean wheelies all day.
>>
>>14060791
Man where I live there is no touge at all.

Straight lines everywhere no need for handling.

Worse things have been done to better cars.

If I could justify the cost of a kenmeri gtr I would molest that. Imagine how upset everyone here would be
>>
>>14060801
>Straight lines everywhere no need for handling.
Then buy a motorcycle and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars if you want to go fast in a straight line.
>>
>>14060806
I actually have several.

>buying a motorycle to go fast in a straight line

They get tracked m8.
>>
>>14060801
Why buy a Kenmeri GTR, when you can just buy an entry-level four banger one, and then go mad on that? Saves you buttloads of money and internet forum butthurt.
>>
>>14060810
and a 240Z won't?
>>
>>14060791
>1600hp@14 PSI
with turbos the size of soccer balls
>>
>>14060812
Mainly to make people upset.

>>14060813
Why the fuck would I track such an old car?

I can just go buy a new legitimately fast car for that.

240z is just for fun.
>>
>>14060658
Yeah, bro, you got that 20k ready? You ever wonder why they call these rotsuns?
>>
>>14060824
>not noticing the part where the engine I'd gladly buy is 37k
>not noticing I mentioned how much I make a year

Do you even read?
>>
>>14060823
Know a guy who tracks a '77 Trans Am.

If it's a road vehicle just for fun and you want it to be fast that kind of makes me say motorcycle even more...

Of course they get tracked motorcycles can turn fine but they demolish 99.9% of vehicles on the road in a straight line.
>>
>>14060830
But anon.

I have motorcycles. There isn't one out that I want right now.
>>
>>14060836
It's essentially going to be a lot of money for a car that isn't very good.
>>
>>14060846
maybe I'll just go buy a porsche or something then.

Thanks for putting it like that anon
>>
>>14060852

You mean you have lots of money and you just want to build a car like this for the fun of it?

Oh how i wish i were in your position since i kinda had an idea to build a 2jz powered DB7GT or something. (or a coyote powered XKRR)
>>
>>14060852
Viper-swapped 944 anyone?
>>
>>14060852
>>14060864
Just put an S85 into an E36 or E46. That way you can have your V10 and have a car that still has decent balance and is fun to drive.
>>
>>14060864
Nononononono.
If you want to put a V10 into a front engined Porsche, put an Audi V10 into a 928 - as Piech intended to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_928
>>
>>14060878
Why not go all-out and grab a Carrera GT V10? Might as well keep things from the same family, you know.
>>
>>14060883
Because a Carrera GT engine costs about 100K euros, while I can pick up 4 or 5 complete Audi S6's(not the engine, but the complete car) for that money. Piech's original plan was to use an Audi V10 anyways, not a pure-Porsche unit.
>>
>>14060894
True, if I wanted to do something completely retarded I'd still go for the CGT V10 though. That fucking wail alone is worth it.
>>
>>14060903
I can guarantee you that for 90 grand, I can make an S6's engine wail, scream and pop even better.

Or use an RS6 engine instead. A whole V10 R6 is starting to go below 40K euros now, so for 100K, I can keep an RS6, and install that engine into the Porsche, with about 20-30K to spare depending on how much parting out the second RS6 would get me. And those engines are easy as hell to get to 700hp (just a tune), nevermind 800 or 900. As if 560 wasn't plenty....
>>
>>14060861
Yeah that was the general idea.

Sorry for wasting your time guys.
>>
>>14060913
Pretty sure the stock RS6 TTV10 made 580hp.
They are pretty fucking sexy though, true.
>>
>>14060919
My bad, new V8 one makes 560.
>>
>>14060883
Why don't I just buy the carrera gt
>>
>>14060658
Yeah unless you have 60 grand to blow between the engine and all everything you would need to accommodate it. Not even getting into the actual things that would possibly need to be restored as I assume you wouldn't be so much of a fuckighn retard to do it do a half decent car.

Or you could just put in an RB26 and tune it to equal power for like a fifth of the price and not look like a fucking retard that put a viper crate motor in a fucking S30.
>>
>>14060944
>60 grand
Not if you buy a secondhand motor with a junkyard T56.
>everything to accomodate it
It'll fit as well as any non-L-series swap.

>throw in a pig fat, huge strat six boat anchor with two turbo's instead! It won't mess with the weight distribution, and creating custom turbo manifolds to fit into the S30 will be cheaper then just throwing a cam and some heads at the Viper engine
Sure there buddy.
>>
>>14060944
If you read the god damn thread you would notice I have way more than that to blow on it.

You would also notice I said fucking forget it.

Also an rb26 can't be tuned to 800hp
>>
>>14060948
>Also an rb26 can't be tuned to 800hp
Yet somehow, 1000hp R34 GT-R's are a thing.
>>
>>14060950
Thats more than a tune

underageplsgo
>>
>>14060952
An RB26 can be tuned to 800+ hp.

No, a simple SOFTWARE tune will not allow for that power lever.
>>
>>14060955
>wanting to put a japanese engine in a japanese car

I'm not some kind of faggot.

and the point was viper engine.

Doesn't matter anymore I'm just going to buy a carrera or something
>>
i do commend the OP for wanting to do something interesting even if it isn't exactly the best thing to do for most.

if you ever do something similar id like to see the results.
>>
>>14060961
I probably won't

My ideas are generally shitty.

1800hp mustangs and stuff.
>>
>>14060789
>this entire post
You sound like a fucking idiot. If I'm stuck here and you're actually a surgeon living in daddy's house then you've shattered whatever was left of my "just world" delusions
>>
>>14060965
>mad that someone who was middle class grew up to be a surgeon

sorry I guess?

Actually I'm not. Fuck off salty cunt.
>>
>>14060972
>"am I absolutely retarded?"
You asked you dumb shit
>>
>Throwing money at cars
>Not a quad rotor RX-7
>>
>>14060972
To be such a supposed "professional" you act like a 14 year old. I wonder why that is.
>>
>>14060987
What do you want from me?

Do you think that I have to act professional all the time?

Do you think I'm at home just sitting in scrubs right now?

I'm in my boxers with a cider watching this shitfest unfold and I'm laughing pretty hard
>>
>>14060992
No I think you're sitting at home doing nothing because you're not a doctor of any sort. Nobody with an MD designation by their name is this retarded or childish. I'll go one step further...prove me wrong, timestamp your medical degree. At the end of the day everyone is laughing at you for supposedly having so much money and think real life is a video game.
>>
All I want is a 240z but here is this idiot talking about how he wants to ruin his with a retarded engine swap.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for putting in something modern, but this is just disgusting.
>>
>>14060992
>expecting anything but vitriol from 4chan after sounding like a complete fool
Yeah, it's true everyone here is salty as fuck, because you're either proof meritocracy is a lie or just one of a thousand idiots pushing stupid ideas on /o/ every day. Why not do a tiny bit of research first?

>I'm laughing
Sure
>>
File: heresy6.jpg (14KB, 211x200px) Image search: [Google]
heresy6.jpg
14KB, 211x200px
>>14060658
>>
>>14060965
>when an anon realizes rich people have zero fucking taste
i thought all the shitty wrapped lambos in dubai would tip you off
>>
>>14060658

Ratarded, no

Crazy, yea
>>
brand crossing is disgusting and tasteless.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.