[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My current car (2003 Toyota Matrix) recently died on me. Car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (4MB, 1900x1176px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 1900x1176px
My current car (2003 Toyota Matrix) recently died on me. Car guy I trust thinks the engine is completely fucked and needs to be replaced. At his shop, he's estimating the engine will cost ~$1000 and he'll charge me $600 for labor, but I'm expecting to spend up to $2000 on it. Main caveat with the car is it has over 250,000 miles on it (previous owner drove from western Nevada to LA on it weekly for a while, thus the milage).

Car has had no problems with me other than the engine just suddenly going to shit on me on my way to work one day, but I'm considering possibly moving onto a different car and selling the Matrix to this car guy for $500 as is. Should I invest into this car or get a new one? I am pretty fucking poor so IF I got a new car, it would be on the cheap (either $2000 or less straight up or up to $5000 with payments).
>>
>car guy i trust
>his shop

How much do you actually trust him
>>
>>14043123
are you replacing the engine or rebuilding it
>>
>>14043237
a lot. hes a coworker Ive worked with for a while and he likes me a good deal. hes pretty much our jobs car guy.

>>14043240
"I" wouldnt be doing anything personally. I would assume he's going to replace it, but I guess I could ask him if it simply needs to be rebuilt, if that would make things cheaper/better.
>>
I would get your current car fixed. If you buy a $2000 car, you never know what will need to be replaced soon.
>>
>>14043370
This.
Just have it fixed. The price seems pretty good as well.
>>
How long should I expect the car to last me if I'm able to get a new engine for it, given it's current milage? If it can last me another 2-3 years without any additional serious problems, that's all I need, as by then if it's still running great, I can sell it for something and get a different car when I'm less poor.
>>
>>14043797
However long your engine lasts under your ownership. The body of the car will be good for decades if you don't fuck the engine again.

Poor maintenance is the only reason it died to begin with.
>>
>>14043123
Where is your Toyota reliability now?
>>
>>14043837
It's got over 250k, that's not bad for any car.
>>14043797
Check status on all the other components. Transmission, cooling system, electricals. I suppose might as well check wear/tear parts like struts, shocks, brakes, tires but if you buy a 2k car you can expect those to be worn anyway.
Nothing lasts forever. Of the major components your engine quit first, but it doesn't mean your transmission isn't far behind.
>>
File: 1448935041759.jpg (85KB, 650x338px) Image search: [Google]
1448935041759.jpg
85KB, 650x338px
>>14043837
Kek
>>
>>14043863
>It's got over 250k,
Oh shit yeah that's a problem. 250k miles of burning the crankcase dry of oil weekly is a recipe for failure.
>>
>>14043895
03 didn't have that issue
>>
>>14043905
FACT all toyotas burn more oil than they should
, not just the ZZ with the stuck/upside down piston rings , not just the AZ with the being a shitty engine.
>>
File: 1449112196935.jpg (76KB, 624x479px) Image search: [Google]
1449112196935.jpg
76KB, 624x479px
>>14043918
FACT
youre a snide cunt
>>
>>14043123
OP if you replace the engine you'll have that fucking car forever.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.