[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you fags done a coast to coast trip on rented car? 2 Finnish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: american-road-trip.jpg (102KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
american-road-trip.jpg
102KB, 500x323px
Any of you fags done a coast to coast trip on rented car?
2 Finnish supreme gentlemen planning a such trip for the upcoming summer; the plan:
- 3-4 weeks driving across states and visiting as many interesting places as we can squeeze in the timeline
- renting one way v6 / v8 camaro / mustang

The main concern is budget, will 6-8k$ be enough for such trip?
We are 25 and 26 years old, so renting shouldn't be that expensive..?
>>
>>14042696
bump by a Latvian supreme gentleman
was actually planning the same
>>
>>14042696
I've done the trip a few times. Not in a rented vehicle though.
I believe the camaro has more room.
I'm not personally aware of how renting a car goes. I know there's weeks based contracts, but I also believe you have to pay for miles or something. But being over 25 really helps, something about the magic age of 25 makes things cheaper, but do put the oldest as the primary. And DO buy the insurance.

When I did it, it was always on a small budget. About $800. Covered gas and some decent food and loads of red bull.

Idk if the camaro or mustang is the best choice for a road trip, but I assume you plan on some hooning.

I also slept in my vehicles so I didn't pay for hotels. I know you can get some really cheap ones for like $20/night, but they're sketchy.
Something you could do is bring camping gear so you can set up somewhere instead of a hotel.
And idk what exactly you'd want to do, so I don't know what you'd be spending on.
But 8k should make for a decent, but not the greatest trip.

My friends and I have been wanting to do this for some time, but we plan to bring about 5k each. So a total of 20k. This is in a like 5-8 year plan though.

If I were you I would shoot for like $10k.
>>
That should be enough. I did it back with my girl at the time and we did almost two months of travel in a v8 ford conversion van. Of course we lived like peasants and slept in the van most of the time. I wouldn't recommend that, you'd be surprised how cranky you get when you never get a proper shower and sleep in Wal-marts all the time.
>>
Follow up question.
Is the budget including the plane tickets here and back, or is the 6-8k only for when you're here?
>>
>>14042696
Rent a V8 Challenger and thank me later. It is a much better GT car than the Mustang or Camaro in that it has a better ride and more space. 6-8k should be more than enough to cross the continent.
>>
>>14042794
>I know there's weeks based contracts
Yes, rental companies will usually give you a weekly rate if you're renting for a while.

>you have to pay for miles or something
Most companies will give you unlimited miles as long as you stay within certain states (e.g. if you rent in California, they will give you unlimited miles in CA and NV for example). I'm assuming that you will be renting it at one coast and dropping it off at the other coast, so obviously you didn't stay within the unlimited mile zone.

>camaro or mustang
If you do this, get the convertible. Rental companies also have a bunch of other cars that are pretty comfy.
>>
>>14042696
>The main concern is budget, will 6-8k$ be enough for such trip?
I think that is enough even if you stay in a hotel when you stop. I drove across the US with like 500 bucks.
>>
>>14042846
But you I assume you didn't go all out, as though it were a regular road trip.

If they're still there, they should specify when, and what they plan to do.
Maybe they want to go to some theme parks, or eat at a fancy restaurant. Or buy some stupid souvenirs. Cause everyone does.

What they have should be good enough for a rather fun trip.

Going to go from CA to AR on about $250 tomorrow. Purely point A to B non stop trip though. I've done this particular one about 8 times now.
WA to AR about 6
WA to FL twice.
And a few various multistate trips.
>>
>>14042902
>But you I assume you didn't go all out, as though it were a regular road trip.
No, I didn't. I drove straight from NY to LA as fast as I could. It only cost so much because I have a 4WD that gets 19mpg highway.
>>
>>14042794
6-8k$ is the goal, we are of course reserving at least 5-6k$ each for the trip. Money is not a big issue, but it would be nice to keep it under 3k each
We are planning on staying in hostels / cheap hotels <50$ a night
Main costs will be;

- Plane tickets to US and back ~1000$ for 2
- Renting a muscle car for 3 weeks ~1500$ with insurance
- hostels / hotels ~1000$ for 2
- Gas 5000km / 10l /100km * 0,6$/l = ~350$
- Everything else 2-4k$

>>14042821
Didint see any renting services offering v8 challenger online, but perhaps we should rent in states on the spot? most renting companies offer "sporty car" with picture of v6 camaro "or similar".
>>
>>14042909
Still not bad.
I did the CA to AR one time in a 77 Chevy C20
About 8-10mpg.
I think gas alone was like $800.
I was also moving all my shit in the back.
During the trip a solenoid went out, then the starter went out, that was like $80 and fixed in a walmart parking lot.

On the trip back in a 96 ranger, again with all my shit, the fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump. Got it to stay on with a shop towel.
>>
I know a girl, she is an european union citizen and when she travelled to the U.S with her friends she wouldn`t be let in the country, she had to wait 2 months before she was sent back home in a border shelter or something like that, no phone no communication with the world.. like wtf America
>>
>>14042943
She probably had criminal record in the EU..?

Anyway, we will be coming from a reputable country, with reputable professions and not a single criminal record
>>
>>14042917
It's the everything else that tends to be more expensive. You never quite know what you want to do. You never know if something unexpected may happen.
Always plan on the higher side of things. So shoot for the $8k budget. Things are always more fun when you know you have wide margin of error.

Also, maybe you could meet up with some /o/tists as you travel. Do some hektic skids and hang, who knows.
>>
>>14042917
Then look for a V6 Challenger. And if you are passing through the STL metro area, look me up.
>>
>>14042968
Indeed, that's what i was planning on. 6k$ will probably be enough, but reserving 8-12k$ just in case some fun opportunities come up during the trip
Btw. how easily can you shoot some big guns on a firing range in states like Texas, and for how much? we have experience with rk95 assault rifle from Finnish military service
>>
>>14043007
Yes, i will probably do a meet up thread once we start the trip
>>
>>14042943
She's a liar.
>>
>>14043010
Easy. Go to AZ though, Texas sucks for guns despite what it's retarded inhabitants think. Actually just avoid Texas.
>>
>>14043045
Seconded. Fuck texas.

I've also heard colorado is a great state to shoot guns.
And I think in AZ or CO theres a guy you can go to, to shoot like and rpg or some shit.
>>
>renting a Camaro or Mustang

Enjoy joining up until 80 mph, when my brother went back to Oregon he rented a 13 V6 Mustang and couldn't get it to go above 80
>>
>>14043230
*hooning
>>
>>14043230
That's because if the Ford MyKey system that can lock out excessive speeds to drivers with a standard key. It's in most new Fords.
>>
>>14043045
>>14043220
Arizona master race
>>
>>14043245
lol shut up nerd
>>
>>14043245
My father i going to buy an Ecoboost next week and was joking about giving me one of these programmed keys which limits the speed, etc.

I once had a ride with a bike for a testdrive which did the exact same thing. I think its one of the most dangerous you can do to someone. Imagine youre sitting in a 400hp+ car and think you can easily overtake someone and the car just stopps accelerating at 120km/h. Fuck that.
It was the reason i didnt buy that Ktm - because that fucking computer thought it wouldnt be clever to drive faster than 140km/h since its raining or something.
>>
>>14042964
>>14043040
no and nope
>>
ive done it a few times for races and for family.

its pretty fucking boring, but i imagine it would be interesting to someone from europe since the landscape is quite different
>>
OP here

Okay, i have an idea to bounce

Would it be possible to purchase and sell a car as an EU citizen in US? I could pick up a C5 vette for ~10k$ and sell it quickly for couple grand loss at the other end
C5 vette would surely be a lot more fun then an v6 mustang?
>>
>>14043381
you have to have an address to use to register it and insure it. you might even have to have a valid US license to register it, not sure.
probably more trouble than it's worth desu if you dont have friends here that can register it for you.
>>
>>14043266
Cali here.
But I'm an hour from yuma.
If only I knew anyone in AZ, I'd have reg'd all my shit there.
>>
>>14043279
My cars runs 10s you can suck my fat nerdy dick.
>>
Not much to see for 80% of the trip. Straight highway and flat fields until Utah. Last time a friend and I went, NJ to OR on about 1.2k each. This includes hotels, booze, sight seeing, food, gas, going out at night.

Honda Pilot gets better gas milage and is much roomier then a devilish v8 though
>>
>>14043381
Not gonna fly. You have to have a drivers license or state ID to conform id on a car. As well, a 5 line is required which includes a US SSN which you do not have. Rentals or bust sorry OP.
>>
File: trip.jpg (899KB, 3098x1800px) Image search: [Google]
trip.jpg
899KB, 3098x1800px
I have driven many times from Chicago to the West Coast of Cali, Oregon, and Northern Nevada.
Plenty of single trips to Utah, and Colorado as well.

Whenever possible, I take this route here. Absolutely amazing scenery, the drive is magnificent, cliffs, mountains, snow, dirt roads, mountain lions, isolation.

Would highly recommend this route.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.