[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am in the market for a 3/4 (2500 or 250) or 1 ton (3500 or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled.png (132B, 17x19px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
132B, 17x19px
I am in the market for a 3/4 (2500 or 250) or 1 ton (3500 or 350) truck, but I cannot find any ratings like on Consumer Reports, JD Power, or Edmunds.

Would you recommend a company or website that rates these trucks? If not, would you recommend deferring to the 1/2 ton (1500 or 150) ratings?

Thanks
>>
Are you going for the diesel engine?
>>
>>14032081
Diesel would be a plus on account of more HP.
>>
Price range and features?
>>
what are you using it for? 1/2 will be sufficient if you arent towing anything bigger than a car trailer.
>diesel is more expensive to buy and maintain, but better for long driving (not shutting it off for 4+ hours on a regular basis) and they can get 20+ mpg on the highway. most average gas 3/4 tons are lucky to see 15mpg but are cheaper to buy and maintain

ive owned both gas and diesel HD trucks, the gas trucks are cheaper to run if you arent doing a ton of highway driving, the diesel is great if you can afford it, but keep a few grand in the bank in case something happens
>>
>>14032337
$$$ is unlimited for these purposes.

I don't care about the interior and I do not like the stupid touch screens to the point that I would special-order one without it. Excessive electrical shit is a minus since it is a pain to replace.

Similarly, the less emissions and "safety" shit, the better.

I'd like as much HP and torque as possible without a dually as I want to jack it up like SCBro's F250 but with 41s.

I am more concerned about durability and reliability.

>>14032355
I'd be putting a camper in the back, so a 250 or 350 would be best.

===

My main concern at this point is finding out which years, builds, &c are known to be problems so I can avoid them.
>>
Get a late model 7.3l from ford then and be done with it
>>
>>14032406
good luck finding one without 300k mi on there.
>>
Lbz duramax (06-07 classic) is one of the minute sought after due to only having egr to contend with and a 6 speed Allison transmission
>>
>>14032430
More sought after*
>>
>>14032390
>>14032390
are you buying new? you might like the XLT f350 for those purposes, you can still get them with floor mounted transfer case and a am/fm, just dont expect leather and chrome cup holders. used? the cummins is a great engine, the truck around it is sub-par. if you dont mind rebuilding front ends and body work this might be the best option, the powerstrokes are great, the f series trucks are pretty well built, the 6.0L, and 6.4L powerstroke had some turbo cooling problems and an array of emissions shit that choked them to death but can be serious powerhouses if you are willing to dump some money into headstuds, full emissions delete, tune etc. the duramax is a great engine, the LBZ and LB7 were the best of them, the GMT800 platform is solid, especially in the 3/4 and 1 ton variations, but alot of people dislike the IFS.

>i love my dmax, get 22mpg on the highway, have heated leather and a floor mounted manual transfer case without the touch screen/navigation.
>>
>>14032390
Get a Ram 5500 with the 6MT and 6.7 Cummins
>>
Only thing with lb7 is the injectors are a gamble if their balance rates are good
>>
>>14032458
I could go new or used; the sweet spot for me is gently used (~20k mi) so I'm past the left end of the "bathtub curve."

What would be a ballpark figure for headstuds, emissions delete, and tuning for a 6.7L Powerstroke?

>>14032482
I am not willing to roll the dice with Dodge.
>>
My lbz doing 55 at the time
>>
For a 6.0 at a shop it starts around 5k and can go up to about 8k depending on what shape the motor is in
>>
>>14032502
the 6.7 is relatively problem free you should be alright with that
>>
>>14032560
I've heard good things about the engine, but finding one that is in good shape at a price that is not outrageous is just not realistic.

Ideally, I'd like to buy something new(ish) so I can amortise the fixed costs of lifting, emissions deletes, &c over many years.
>>
>>14032594
Best bet is to browse craigslist, good amount of people usually wanting to get rid of a diesel truck because "don't need it anymore" or some shit
>>
File: 1.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
>>14032594
Cummins or bust. Ford has cooling/egr issues, the Duramax is a fucking pooch for what it is. The ram is the clear choice.
>>
>>14032861
If you haven't read the news lately, Dodge has all kinds of reliability issues. Granted, the engine is great, but it's one factor out of many when choosing a truck.
>>
File: XHK5Jfu.jpg (465KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
XHK5Jfu.jpg
465KB, 2560x1920px
>>14032861
>>14032560

The 6.7s looooooooove dropping valve seats.

If you get the truck towed once you get the rattle or knock, it's just a rebuild if you're lucky.

Keep driving it though, and pic related.

I'll take the Ford's $1500 emissions delete or the $4000 duramax injectors over the $14,000 cummins long block.
>>
>>14032984
Duramax injectors haven't been a problem since 04-05 with the lb7
>>
>>14033015
There's an open TSB for constant regens, that guys that still have the DPF on say is fixed with new injectors.

The GM final fix is probably going to be an updated injector. it's not a fatal issue this time, just a "suddenly my truck is getting 12mpg" issue, so i doubt you'll see a warranty extension.

much like the 6.4 fords, it's the stock trucks going to shit, and the tuned trucks holding out fine.
>>
>>14032984
Aany 6.7 you are going to find will have warranty. You can even find some 2010-2011 models with a transferable lifetime powertrain.

Also
>Comparing tuned to stock
>Not knowing that the valvetrain issues have been fixed since 12.
>Not replacing your valve seats when upgrading.
>>
bumb
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.