[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Continuation from the other day's thread So I went

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: snapshot11245jo6.6076[1].jpg (41KB, 640x490px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot11245jo6.6076[1].jpg
41KB, 640x490px
>Continuation from the other day's thread

So I went and looked at this guy's twin turbo Z31. Cosmetically, it's a mess. Primer white paint, missing interior panels, some bare metal showing on the wheel well where he sanded off plastidip. T-tops don't leak though, and headlights go up and down as expected

Mechanically, it's good and bad. The fans don't have a relay so you have to stick the wire on the battery terminal when you drive. He confirmed that it's a twin turbo Z31 engine with bottom mounts. I tried looking for them, but couldn't see. I know it has at least one turbo because I can hear it. It has no power steering, cause he was dressing the second engine for a swap

The thing is fucking fast, the fastest car I've ever driven. Definitely a deathwish if I end up trading my 07 Cobalt for it. He claims that he has all the parts needed to restore the car sitting in boxes, and that his buddy will paint it for $200.

I want the car but don't want to get screwed financially. Should I try to get the guy to paint it as part of the deal? I can resell the 3.3L engine, but will everything else be worth it?

>inb4 asking strangers online for advice on a financial decision that could make or break me
Nobody I know IRL knows jack shit about 300zs
>>
>>14031590
>He confirmed that it's a twin turbo Z31 engine with bottom mounts
So it's definitely not stock. I'd be wary of what he's done to it if the whole car looks like as much of a mess as you're describing. Ask him about the turbos, manifolds, if it's intercooled, what he's done with fuel management, etc. Bonus points if you can post some engine bay pics.

I can guarantee you he won't get it painted for you and if he does it'll be a rattlecan job. If it's a big deal for you, you'll have better luck talking him down the $300 for you to take it to Maaco after you've bought it. I wouldn't spend more than that on paint for what's clearly a project car; you'll need it for everything else.
>>
>>14031590
>his buddy will paint it for $200
Oh, I missed that part. Still, sounds like even shoddier work than Maaco. Get cash and not labor and then put it into making everything work.
>>
File: LOEoXBD[1].jpg (104KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
LOEoXBD[1].jpg
104KB, 540x960px
>>14031640
It has an intercooler, and some big brand fuel pump for high flow. Didn't think to take any engine bay pics, but it looks like a non-turbo engine when you open the hood

And he claims that his friend already has the paint to do it, and that he doesn't have time since the 300z is his DD. Just getting the money for it might be better, though I can't exactly go without a car for very long

>Pic related, it comes with the stock wheels and he has the centre caps for all of them. hood is dented from a run in with a deer, but he says he has a replacement
>>
>>14031648
Everything /mostly/ works on it. The only thing that bothers me is the electric seats don't work (he's offering adjustable racing seats to replace them), the windows don't go down (t-tops come out within 5 seconds so whatever), and the handbrake needs a pin to work. Everything else is "I have a part in a box to do that"
>>
86 TT owner here.
I'm sure you know they don't come stock with intercoolers. If he actually did put one in, the engine bay would've clearly looked like it was turbo. Also, check the insides of the quarter pannels, the frame and the back right where the emergency tools are located. If there is rust there, just avoid it.
>>
If you need your dd to work day in and day out... Id be wary.

This looks like its one of those hour of work equals hour of run time deals.
>>
>>14034635
There were some pocket marks under the primer around the wheel wells, and I remember there being a rust hole in the bottom of the door step (Top of rocker panel I guess?) that was spray painted over.

I'm not feeling too confident about this trade now, unless there's money involved
>>
>>14031673
>>14032678
My main concern here is the drivetrain. He's gone from a single non-imtercooled turbo to an intercooled twin turbo setup. He's got it plumbed in such a way that it's completely inaccessible for you, and it sounds like you still don't know what ECU and injectors or carbs or whatever he's running. I don't necessarily think that it's a bad purchase; I just think you're jumping into a project that you're not prepared to complete or even maintain. Internet support is already spotty for these cars, and will be even spottier if he's done anything off the beaten path with it. What twins do people even switch to on these cars? A pair of the stock singles? Z32 twins? Aftermarket Garretts? I don't even know.
>>
>>14037183
He didn't say what make the turbos were, but he had the names of the fuel system, ECU, and injectors. He also said that the transmission was redone and it has a 350z "rear end/pumpkin for longer gears". I'm assuming he means the diff, but I don't know how that makes longer gears
>>
People told you last night. Don't do it.

You're buying an 80s sports car that is heavily modified.

I bought my first modified subaru and had my ranger as backup.

The car shits out on you, you're fucked. Unless you have massive cash reserves just save.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.