[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of getting a hearse as my first car. I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: Cadilac devile.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Cadilac devile.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
I'm thinking of getting a hearse as my first car. I know the gas mileage sucks, but are there any issues with the V8 Northstar engine ?
>>
>>14028669
>are there any issues with the V8 Northstar engine ?
Yeah, it sits the wrong way around in the engine bay.
>>
Spray paint "#yolo" on the side of it.
>>
File: 1432644835340 (1).gif (2MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1432644835340 (1).gif
2MB, 350x300px
>>14028683
I get it
>>
>>14028669
possibly the only ride that makes a date more awkward than an ice cream truck
>>
It also has to get its wheel bearings, muffler and brake line repaired, how pricey would that be ?
>>
>>14028701
Don't do it.
The expenses will kill ya.
>>
>>14028716
>"Kill ya"
kek
Would the repairs really be that bad ?
>>
>>14028669

For the love of satan OP, just do it. Buy it and fucking ravage all that sweet, sweet goth pussy over by the graveyard
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBcmUhOg8Xw
>>
File: ghostadventures.jpg (33KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ghostadventures.jpg
33KB, 400x300px
I guarantee it'll be haunted, OP.

If you change the oil, the poltergeists will show up because you disturbed their resting place.
>>
>>14028773
I doubt it man, everyone likes a clean home.
>>
>>14028792
How would you feel if you were haunting a car and some neckbeard started smacking your shit because your sump plug is too tight?
>>
>>14028669

Northstar is a decent motor. Occasional head gasket concerns. Some parts of it are obnoxious to work on - the starter is a 12 hour book time job because it's in the engine valley under the intake.
>>
>>14028669
First, why the fuck do you want a hearse for your first car? And yes, the north star v8s have head stud problems. Basically over time the threads on the head studs strip and studs will start going out one by one, causing the engine to torque unevenly on the block leading to overheating, blown head gaskets, and finally a cracked engine block. If you wish to own any North star Cadillac, you should check out northstarperformance.com because their stud kit is basically the only way to ensure you won't have this issue. And then the car will run for ever so you can go on lots of awkward dates in your Cadillac Hearse!
>>
I have a 98 Deville, which I fucking love.
In the span of 2 years:

$1,300 fuel pump replacement (my fault, shitty quality gas and constantly letting tank get lower than 1/4 full)

Instrument Cluster went out, not fixing it.

~$550 Water Pump Replacement

~$500 Radiator Replacement

Probable blow head gasket, not shelling out $2500 when the car isn't worth that much. Plus, something else will just go wrong in a few months. For the time being, I can only drive 20-30min before I see thin steam/smoke coming from hood.
>>
>>14030922
fuck why can a headgasket cost 2500
is that with new heads or something
>>
>>14030933
I assume? I just did a short search online to find a ball park estimate. What I've seen is from 1,500-3500. 80% of which is labor.
>>
>>14028723
Yes. Brake lines are horrendous to replace, involving basically tearing the underside apart to rip them out and replace them.
Wheel bearings are just expensive parts.
If the wheel bearings are gone, there's suspension issues. If the brake lines have rusted through, there's more rust to deal with.
>>
File: IMG_20151008_224056959.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151008_224056959.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>14031062
Brake lines aren't too bad
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 500x661px
>>14028669
>getting a hearse
>a fucking hearse as a first car
Why.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 597x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 597x333px
>>14031105
he just saw harold and maude
>>
>>14031105
to die for
>>
>>14028669
Northstar cars are wonderful DDs and one of the best values in the used market but Id stray away from a N* powered heatse and look for a 305 or 350 fleetwood/Olds.

Headgaskets can be an issue. Northstars love to be revved so A car thats lightly driven and never goes above 2k rpm would be cause for concern. The best running N*s ive driven were ones that had some hard miles on them. Cars old folks use to putz around town are prone to carbon buildup and in my experience more likley to blow a gasket.

A stud kit will resolve any potential hg issues for the lifetime of the car and caddies with already blown gaskets can be had for 2k in pristine shape. Id opt for a non hearse and stud it. All in all youll spend under 5k for a car that feels like its worth 10x that.

>>14028829
>starter is a 12 hour job.

Bullshit. Ive replaced many of these and despite the strange location its an extremely simple job.
>>
>>14028669
Don't do it OP. The gas mileage sucks, it will be slow, and it will be a bitch to drive / park anywhere in town. Just get the regular sedan if you're dead set on the cadillac, at least it'll be a bit more fun and you won't look like an edge meister.
As for the northstar, the top end is problematic but otherwise its a pretty good engine.
>>
>>14028701
bearings could be like $300 depending on parts and if you need to take it to a shop
>>
>>14028692
>he doesn't drive his garbage truck to first dates
>>
>>14028692
I bet you could find a qt goth chick that was down to fuck in the back of it.
>>
Where the fuck could you even buy a hearse from? Aren't they specially made and ordered exclusively by funeral homes?

Though I do ask because a qt goth I know is looking for a first car and if I found her a hearse, she'd be all over my shit.
>>
>>14028676
This.

I always wondered if anyone had used the Northstar in an RWD car.

Other than that I think it's actually a pretty good engine, but transverse V8s are just...They're wrong, man. I have nothing against FWD but come on...
>>
File: IMG_20150927_173059.jpg (852KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150927_173059.jpg
852KB, 2688x1520px
it will look good in candy paint red
>>
>>14028773
R.I.P Nick
>>
>>14034445

ayyyy micro center
>>
>>14034869
Ayyy I got one of those right next to where I work.

Sharonville, OH. Where you coming from?
>>
Dont they make towncar herses? if so, get that instead
>>
northstar powered vehicles have a lot of problems

especially regarding the head bolts that corrode and lift the head, essentially blowing the headgasket.

also regarding the transmission, there's a sensor deep inside it that can eat shit, and will make the car very hard to drive, and you need to take out the transmission and open it up to replace it.

aaand then there's the general GM electronics problem with those resistors on the keys wearing out and shitting themselves, and essentially leaving your car immobilized and stranded unless you ghetto rig it to bypass the resistor on the key, or get the spare keys.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.