[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought my first manual and I'm still learning. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I just bought my first manual and I'm still learning.
What are some tips and general information about driving stick
Pic related my new toy
>>
>>14025714
>tips for manual
>tighten your belt and buy an auto

its better in every way you can even eat a burger and fries while you drive
>>
File: 14371868233432.jpg (878KB, 2165x2095px) Image search: [Google]
14371868233432.jpg
878KB, 2165x2095px
>v6 90s gm
Holy fuck, I can't breathe
>>
File: 1449095180550.gif (481KB, 499x315px) Image search: [Google]
1449095180550.gif
481KB, 499x315px
If you have a remote starter, remember to put it in neutral, when you park it.
>>
>clutch in
>le push lever
>let go clutch

k
>>
>>14025723
I have an auto so I wanted a stick.
>>14025725
It's the v8
>>14025732
Okay thanks
>>
>>14025714
Why do people keep asking this when they can just watch a YouTube video and be done
>>
>>14025746
Seriously though, cool trans am. 305?
>>
>>14025714
Don't ride the Clutch!
Learn to hold clutch on a hill.
Learn how to pop the clutch so you can restart a dead battery.
Watch a video or two on how a clutch and transmission works. If you know how the mechanics works, you will understand shifting better. It isn't that complicated, a clutch is basically just a mechanism to disengage the engine from the wheels.
Under normal driving conditions, there is no reason to go above 3000 rpm. Going above 3000 rpm wastes gas and will wear out your engine faster, plus you look like a noob when you rev way too high at every stoplight. 2000-3000 rpm is all you ever need.
You get the smoothest shifts if the engine and the transmission are spinning at the same rate -- i.e. the input and output side of the clutch are spinning at the same speed (mechanical video would help to understand this). When you upshift, you should time foot to release the clutch at the exact moment the two speeds match (usually about a second after you first depress the clutch). You will learn the timing the more you practice. The same for downshifting, except here you need to give some gas while clutch is depressed to speed the engine up. Speeding the engine up will match the revs of the engine to the revs of the lower gear in the transmission. Make sure you know the basics before you try rev matching, otherwise you might just give it way too much gas all the time.

I typed this up quickly so it might not make sense, just ask more questions and I can answer.
>>
>>14025714
Clutch control and smoothness is key.
>>
>>14025747
The videos I have seen seem to be
>basics of stick
I want to know if there is more to driving stick that a beginner should know other than the basics
>>
File: _20151003_231803.jpg (23KB, 302x276px) Image search: [Google]
_20151003_231803.jpg
23KB, 302x276px
>>14025714
>>
>>14025747
This entire board is redundant when you consider you can just go to youtube for everything these days.
>>
>>14025723
dude f*cking epic

>>14025714
Let the clutch out slower; that's why you're bucking and stalling.
>>
>>14025756
So watch other videos. Holy fuck
>>
>>14025714
Learn to double clutch when downshifting. Even with synchros it's so much smoother.

Good choice - manuals are just more fun to drive. Hard to believe you have to pay extra for them these days, they were an easy way to save money and get better performance back in the old days. Those gaps have mostly closed, but I still prefer a manual transmission myself.
>>
>>14025750
Not sure, the paper work says 2dr hatchback. I'm going to have to do some research but it doesn't have t-tops which I didn't want
>>14025752
>ride the clutch
What's that mean?
Thanks for the info!
>>14025753
Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 792x558px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 792x558px
>>14025759
It's a firebird not a Camaro
>>14025767
Slowly? Do I press the gas in as I'm letting the clutch out?
>>
>>14025775
Not OP here. What do you mean by double-clutching?

Do you mean clutch in -> shift to neutral -> clutch out -> gas -> clutch in -> shift to lower gear -> clutch out?

What is the advantage of double-clutching over just giving gas when clutch is depressed, i.e. clutch in -> shift -> gas -> clutch out?
>>
>>14025775
>double clutch
What's that and how do i do it?
>>
>>14025792
riding the clutch means resting your foot on the clutch as you drive (like it's a foot rest).

The clutch pad is just a friction pad that is pushed against the flywheel with a lot of pressure. Since the pressure is so great, there is no slipping. If you depress the clutch pedal, the clutch pad moves away from the flywheel and the connection is broken.

If you depress the clutch pedal slightly, the pad will still be in slight contact with the flywheel but it will slip. This allows you to creep away from a full stop. It also wears the clutch out, because the slipping wears away the pad.

Don't leave you foot on the clutch, or you will be wearing out your pad for thousands of miles. You should also try to minimize the time you leave the clutch partially depressed, but it's ok to use it to craw away from a stop or maintain your position on a hill.
>>
>>14025808
Not him, but that slows down all the gears in the gearbox, putting less wear on the synchros.
>>
>>14025792

I assume he means not letting the clutch all the way out by "holding the clutch". IE, just don't be that guy who lets the clutch engage while never letting it all the way out. Good and easy way to roast a clutch.

>>14025813

>Clutch
>Shift out of gear
>Let clutch out
>Push clutch back in
>Shift into the gear you want

It basically works like pumping the brakes on the clutch. Good way to trick new kids on the block into grinding gears when you have synchros that do the work for it. On tractor trailers it's almost necessary to have nice smooth shifts, I mean you can granny shift in the eatons but they always feel happier when you double clutch while shifting at all times.
>>
>>14025833
>it's okay to use it to crawl to a stop
So when driving keep my foot off the clutch except for when changing gears but when I come to a stop it's okay to hold the clutch right?
>>
>>14025849
As a general rule, clutch in = as fast as possible, whereas clutch out = smooth and controlled.
>>
>>14025842
So let me make sure I understand
When I'm switching into lower gears
I press the clutch and put it in neutral.
Let go of the clutch.
Press the clutch again.
Drop into lower gear.
>>
>>14025854
So what's the best way to come to a stop?
>>
>>14025849
It's fine to either have the pedal depressed all the way or let out all the way. It is bad to have it partially depressed.

So yes, at a stop light you can press the pedal in ALL THE WAY DOWN.

When you aren't shift or coming to a stop, you shouldn't press down on the clutch.

Just don't rest you foot on the pedal like it's a foot rest. When you're not using the clutch pedal, move your foot away from it.
>>
>>14025808
Yes - sounds like a lot of steps, but it gets automatic quickly.

>>14025813
He described the steps correctly. Here's a link with more details:
http://hondaswap.com/threads/what-is-double-clutching.3515/

It's just a nice skill to master and it does make downshifting much smoother.
>>
>>14025864

Yes, but you do it in a pumping the brakes style motion

It should be a real quick sequence. Once again, not necessary for modern transmissions and a real easy way to grind gears if you're learning.
>>
>>14025864
double-clutching is an advanced technique. Most people consider it unecessary. Work more on smooth shifts the regular way before you research double-clutching.
>>
>>14025872
Okay thanks!
>>14025875
Okay thanks. I will definitely try it out next time I drive it.
>>
>>14025897
Let me correct one thing I said. It is bad to keep clutch only partially depressed for long periods of time. For short period, such as pulling away from a stop, it is ok.
>>
File: IMG_0003.jpg (422KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0003.jpg
422KB, 2048x1536px
>>14025897

Get comfortable with a manual trans before you start playing around with double clutching

May based hooning gods shine down upon you once you're comfortable with the car. Seriously, V8/manual trans is the only way to have it outside of comfy barges
>>
>>14025870
Brake, then once you hit about 1000 RPM, clutch in quickly and all the way, then brake to a halt.
>>
>>14025881
Disagree - downshifting will not be smooth unless you at least rev the engine higher to match the higher RPM of the lower gear and reduce the burden on the synchros. Doubleclutching is a small extra step from that.

If you're going to buy one, why wouldn't you want to learn how to drive it properly?

If you're just starting to drive one, sure, but once you have the basics down, it's a good next step.
>>
>>14025916
I feel like I have it pretty down pact but i want to learn how to do it as best as possible. Thanks for all the info.
>>14025924
Okay sounds pretty simple. Thanks
>>
>>14025935
I agree that you need to rev match, but why can't you simply hit the gas while the clutch pedal is in?

Perhaps I don't have a full understanding of what's going on in the transmission. I was under the impression that synchros are only used when you shift the stick lever and a new set of gears is engaged. I thought that the action causing the most jerk was when the clutch pad contacts the flywheel, i.e. when you release the clutch pedal.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>14025965
On that link I referenced, the guy goes into a little detail:

"Someone asked me why you have to let the clutch back out before you "blip" the throttle, and here is the reason. The goal of blipping/tapping the throttle is to raise the rotational speed of the "engine half" of your transmission- your engine speed going up is what causes this to happen. Making your engine rev faster is just the way you effect the rise in transmission speed (in the "engine half")... if you could make the transmission rev faster on the "engine half" without revving the engine, that would theoretically work as well. If you rev the engine while the clutch is open (pedal down), then you're just raising the rotational speed of the engine, and not the "engine half" of the transmission. Just opening the clutch (pedal down) and revving the engine to where it needs to be, then shifting and closing the clutch (pedal up) isn't double clutching- but it still helps to reduce wear on your engine and transmission. Why? Your synchros still have to work to match the transmission speeds, but they don't have to work to rev the engine up to where it's supposed to be. On the engine side, your engine isn't being 'forced' to run at a higher rev as soon as you let the clutch out, so its wear is reduced as well."

That's what I learned back in the day, that putting it neutral allows you to spin the transmission up to match the gear RPM itself. Keeping the clutch in revs the engine, not the transmission. If all the speeds match, no wear at all, synchros do no work.

Bonus: if you're ever in the third world driving a non-synchronous truck transmission, you're good to go.
>>
File: 71371237.jpg (261KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
71371237.jpg
261KB, 1600x1195px
>>14025714
I have a question for driving my sw20 turbo.
It's my first car and first manual car and whenever the engine is cold I drive it really slowly and carefully, like never going above 3k rpm, but it seems like because of the gearing I'm shifting a lot, and because the transmission is cold I'm shifting slowly, so off of every light or trying to join traffic I'm going really slowly and all the auto soccermoms are all on my ass. Should I rev it out more when it's cold and just idgaf or is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>14026241
What's the red line? Wouldn't worry about protecting it from the cold, just don't abuse it.

Sounds like you're staying low on the power curve, and shifting early. You'll drive like an old fart that way.
>>
>>14026279
Redline is about 7250
Yeah I'm definitely staying low on the power curve. I've heard that because it's a little turbo 4 cylinder it needs to wound out more, but I've also heard about how important it is to stay below 3k RPM when the engine is cold. Would staying under 4k RPM be sufficient? Or 3.5k?
>>
>>14026340
I'd push it higher, especially with a turbo - the power really only kicks in with the higher RPMs.

If the red line is over 7k, I would bet you're still babying it at 4k. I might even go a little higher.

Even cold I think you got a lot more headroom available there, and it'll help you to mesh into traffic a little better.

What are you comfortable reving it to when up to temperature?
>>
>>14026340
generally you want to pressurize the engine as soon as you start it, so don't let the car idle on a cold start. Once the car is warmed up after several minutes of driving, it's fine to go WOT.
>>
>>14026468

> pressurize the engine

What are you trying to convey with this phrase, you mong?
>>
>>14026478
That running a cold engine at idle isn't a high enough rpm to adequately get your fluids to 'warm' temperatures, and actually causes more wear on your car.
>>
>>14025726
lol the fucking r32 guy.
>>
File: 1407037665376.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1407037665376.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>>14026532
SHUTUP
>>
>>14026392
When up to temperature I've two stepped it only once accidentally, I still keep it cool once it's warm even. 6k is usually the peak but only when I want to have fun.
I try to shift around ~4k when it's warm for regular driving, but my exhaust is really loud so to keep it more normal I still go less than that.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.