[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey br/o/s. I was originally looking at getting a an s13 240sx

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: P1030149.jpg (149KB, 998x563px) Image search: [Google]
P1030149.jpg
149KB, 998x563px
Hey br/o/s. I was originally looking at getting a an s13 240sx or an Acura Integra or something because "muh race car", but I've decided to put aside the thought of building a track car (for now) and get something to lug my friends and girlfriend around on road trips and camping trips and whatnot. I currently have a 2015 Honda CBR300R motorcycle that I daily drive, besides that I have a WeThePeople BMX because I'm a poorfag. My plan is to sell my Motorcycle and buy a 1988 Chevy Suburban. I like the look of the '73 - '91 models and I like that old school look they have. My questions are pretty much, are: what common problems do they have, is it easy to drop a V8 engine of some sort in, or are there any other trucks/ SUV's with the same kinda style for under $5,000?
>>
my father had an 86 suburban all stock. rebuilt it once in the 90's it was reliable through 2015. 4 barrel 350 started first time every time. got 14 MPG too. too bad he sold it for chump change to buy a duramax diesel
>>
My papa had a choochoo customs 87.

That fucker was awesome and comfy as hell.
>>
File: IMG268.jpg (706KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG268.jpg
706KB, 2048x1536px
>>14020947
you can pretty much chop and swap anything out of those trucks and fit it to another without too many issues as long as you stick to auto and carbed

my 1985 truck had a 350 originally and i swapped a 454 from a 1973 basically plug and play other than exhaust work

i would recommend looking into a parts truck as well, i bought a 86 longbox with a blown motor for 300bucks and so far ive taken the window regulators, the pedals, the tilt column, all the windows,bumpers and bodypanels, and every little plastic clip needed in the interior.
totally worth it.
>>
>>14020965
>>14020971
>>14020982
Thanks guys, just re-read my original post (what is proof reading) so sorry about the minor autism. I appreciate any and all advice or tips.
>>
>>14020982
I was looking for older Dodges too, saw this listing and thought it looked pretty good. Even the problems aren't that bad.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5307424595.html
>>
>>14021068
i like the turbine wheels... tempting to take the ferry over there, always good deals in van
>>
>>14021089
You in Vic or Sechelt or something anon? Also, yeah it looks great, sent it to my girlfriend on facebook just now and she thinks its awesome. She's talking about how much she likes the cab on the Burb though so I might want to grab one if I decide to go with it.
>>
File: shiftergauges.jpg (162KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
shiftergauges.jpg
162KB, 1024x768px
>>14021139
comox valley

the cab in my truck is pretty nice when its clean, comfy seat and easy to see, ive never been in a dodge so i dont really have any opinions
>>
>>14020947
most of the poverty pack (lowest spec) versions of the blazer are a v6 and the v6 is a cut down version of the 350 chevy. easy way to tell 4wd from road 2wd is k = 4wd c = 2wd
most of these already have the v8 fitted from the factory and the gen 2 small block chevy v8 parts are every where
>>
File: dantes_peak_suburban.jpg (15KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
dantes_peak_suburban.jpg
15KB, 300x260px
OBS suburban owner here. I've got a lot of respect for the square bodies! I'm not too familiar with them, but friends say they're rather durable and easier to work on. Biggest issue I would forsee with it would be rust. I hope you don't live by the ocean or in a state where they salt the living daylights out of the road come snowfall...
>>
>>14020947
Don't sell the bike, you are going to want something thrifty for commuting and for trips that don't need the extra space.

But I love this body style of Chevy truck, I own a K5, a crew cab long box C20, and a K30 regular cab long box.

I just need a 'burb and a shortbox to compete the set.

Get a 4wd, a roof rack, a RTT, and lift it 3 inches, it'll be awesome.
>>
File: IMG_20150517_193000795_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2430x1368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150517_193000795_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2430x1368px
>>14020947
Pic related is my 81, bought for $3000 7 months ago, been my reliable DD ever since.

Anything you look at check for rust in the floor pans, cab corners, rockers, firewall, frame, around front and rear windows for any bulging or signs of major rust. If you want to avoid more electronics, stick to the earlier years. Chances are anything you find that isn't already restored, has had work done and may or may not be a hack job, that applies to any older vehicles though.

Countless forums and support around these square bodies, parts a plenty at junk yards and pick-n-pulls, as well as summit racing/rockauto and especially LMC truck. As far as swaps go, you can put just about anything into them you want.
>>
>>14020947

>road trips
>full size SUV
>V8

Bruh, if you REALLY want an SUV, you need to look at Diesel swaps, not gas. I've got a Ramcharger I'm planning to drop a Cummins 12 valve into and the best I can hope for is 20mpg. You don't get one of these hulks for anything but muh tow capacity and muh off roading.
>>
>>14021994
Unless you're talking 1000 miles, the gas isn't -that- bad. Don't go with gearing you don't need, or huge fucking tires, and keep your foot out of it, you'll do fine.
>>
>>14022014

Unless Op is one of the six or so members of /o/ with a decent paying job, I don't think that advice will fly. A five degree incline over a mile will drop the fuel economy of a four ton, brick shaped junk of metal faster than Ali could drop a retarded quadriplegic in the first round.

I love old school SUVs, but saying you can get reasonable mileage out of them is like saying you can drink water formed on Mars. Theoretically possible, but I'm probably never going to see it in my life time.

Hell, I have a 318 which is supposedly capable of 20mpg with modifications, but why the fuck would I keep that asthmatic turd when a 12v can be had for 800 dollary-doos and requires nearly no machining to fit to any decent truck?
>>
>>14022025
You've got a point there, but let's be honest most of these things out there aren't tuned worth a fuck, or in the best of condition either, or some fuck decided their stock 350 with headers needed some double pumper carb. You've got a valid point about the decent paying job, though, that's something OP should be smart enough to realize, if he's planning on an hour or two drive out once in a while he should be fine, it's another thing if he's talking long ass road trips.
>>
>>14022043

I agree with you. My Ramcharger is a turd that wasn't taken care of. If the 318 hadn't been abused, it might have been good for 14mpgs driving easy, but instead averages 6mpgs and is on its way out the door.
>>
CLOSE NTBEES
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.