[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 2nd Gen DSM any good? What about the turbo fwd versions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Is 2nd Gen DSM any good?
What about the turbo fwd versions?

I saw one on CL, 1998 factory wing so it's either GST or GSX
>>
>auto DSM
nah
>>
>>14017586
>auto
But it's manual
>>
>>14017583
It's probably thrashed so now. They're fine cars that unfortunately became owned largely by retards.
>>
>>14017632
what are things i should check?
like readily apparent stuff stoof stiff
>>
>>14017633
>what are things i should check?
Are there complete service records? If not, walk away. You will NEVER get this for an Eclipse, especially not a GSX or GS-T so you should just give up hope of buying one.
>>
File: ar802.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ar802.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
My good friend has a TSI that was riced to shit by the previous owner, still hits boost pretty hard. Not a bad car if you can stomach all the issues likely brought on by the kind of people who buy DSM's, lol.
>>
They're like the WRXs of the 1990s.

Down to the build quality, with even shittier owners and rust issues (strut towers on 2Gs)

Good cars, but also not very good at turning either. Ford had the Mustang, GM had the Tramsmarobird, Dodgubishi had the DSM. They're all ridiculously easy to make fast in a straight line and even the DSM suffers from a inability to corner without epic understeer from chassises with the structural rigidity of a floppy dick and a distinct lack of aftermarket. Did I mention ridiculously easy to go fast in a straight line with?
>>
>>14017662
I cant touge in one?
literally might as well buy a civic!?!?!
>>
File: probewithbodykit.jpg (97KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
probewithbodykit.jpg
97KB, 960x641px
>>14017662
2g's had a much better suspension than the 1g's.

They're still not a miata or anything, but they do decent.

That said my 1g dsm is a cunt in the corners.
1g's especially have a seriously shit turning radius as well.

Anyway op. 2nd gens are fine. Main things to look for on them is strut tower and rocker rust. Then balljoints - they're known to fail (on 2nd gens) and fail bad. Then just make sure maintenance has been kept it. Anything timing related needs to be checked and probably replaced no matter what just to be safe.

I'm too lazy to type out a book about dsms at the moment from my phone.

It's just a matter of finding a decent one, which is really hard to do these days. The 2nd gens 7bolt isn't as strong as a 6bolt but can still take 400+hp on stock internals. (records are 600whp+, 700whp+ on 6bolts but for average joe I'd say stay around 400-450whp on a stock bottom end 7bolt).

All about proper supporting mods for your goals and a good tune. Shortcuts/hackjobs/ebay parts are not your friend.
>>
>>14017664
They still turn much better than Mustangs and Camaros from the time, at least the AWD ones do. A fwd Eclipse you would be better off with a Civic or Integra.
>>
>>14017664
Actually a Civic is a better idea.

So is a Miata or a E30/36 BMW.

DSMs are retarded fun street cars. Just cover up their inability to turn with extra drive wheels and 150whp over everyone else.
>>
>>14017681
Duck you man
>>
>>14017691
He's right though
>>
>>14017697
Why
It's awd with stupid HP
>>
>>14017703
AWD & lots of horsepower dont = great handling
>>
>>14017717
FF
ALWAYS
LOSED
>>
>>14017726
When did I say it did?
>>
>>14017679
what's your opinion on galant vr4s?
>>
>>14018086
HELLO I AM FAT

How the fuck did a car the size of a compact car end up 3300lbs. Otherwise identical to a 1G DSM but rustier (floors, rockers, doors under cladding) and rarer.

Suspension/Chassis was a bit better too, a lot of people just swap stuff on from Evo 8/9s (coilovers come to mind especially)

I like them, but they'd get their shit slapped by a 02-03 WRX around a corner. Weighs the same actually a little lighter but has 15 years worth of R&D and technological advancements (1987 vs 2002). But the WRXs blow up sooner the more mods you add (260-300whp seems to be the happy point before shit goes wrong) and they rust out even quicker than the Mitsubishis (its amazing how they still rust out on the arches like their GC predecessors).
>>
>>14018457
oh ok, well i picked one up a couple months ago, and i wondered how it compared to chrysler build quality. Mine is mostly stock btw.
>>
>>14021046
1G DSMs and GVR4s are pretty much identical, the DSMs tend to be a little less rust-prone than the VR4s with Japanese sheetmetal and cladding that'll trap moisture/dirt.

The problem with unreliability with them tens to be from a dozen shitty owners who couldn't take care of them. The VR4s might've had slightly better build quality when new being built in Japan using Japanese parts, but they're still 25 year old cars no matter what way you spin it so its a wash. The VR4s are also fucking fat at 3300lbs which bothers me, but they're nice cars, I'd get one on the rarity alone. DSMs as a whole are overweight for their size, a 1G is only 100lbs lighter. Just watch for rust, a lot of them ended up as winter cars. Floors, firewall, rockers, strut towers.

There's not as much Chrysler build quality in these cars, period, at least if you got a 4G63 car. Different if you got a base/420A car.
>>
>>14021102
yea i kinda fuked up because it runs fine and all that, but the pinch welds are pretty mangled and certain parts of the unibody on the floor are getting past surface rust... but the price for an unmolested vr4 was good so i picked it up and its a blast. I looked at a couple 1g talons but they all looked beat to shit and were basically project car status, one guy leaned out the motor while on the test drive and i backed off pretty much after that.
>>
STARTER
>>
>>14018457
The Galant is not a compact car
>>
eclipse forever
>>
>>14023843
i love my RS
its way better than a civic
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.