[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of modern touchscreen car infotainment systems?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: RealVNC_t3292big[1].jpg (665KB, 1280x716px) Image search: [Google]
RealVNC_t3292big[1].jpg
665KB, 1280x716px
What do you think of modern touchscreen car infotainment systems? Does your car have one? Which features do you use the most? Or is it just useless filler to lure in dumb kids who should just buy a tablet and not a car?

The other day I tried the infotainment on the latest Toyota Yaris, I was mostly interested in the mirrorlink, but it didn't work for shit even though my phone is mirrorlink certified. This made me realize that having anything more than an mp3 player with bluetooth on a car is fucking retarded. You don't want to rely on shitty software on your car.
>>
Useless crap in its entirety. You could already listen to the radio and dial in your A/C before touchscreens, and if you need a map or navigation just fucking snap your phone to a windshield holder.
>>
>>14011957
This. My car had the option for a touch screen but passed because i thought it was stupid.
>>
It's a mix. Some systems are better than others.

The latest Porsche one (2012ish+) is pretty good. Bluetooth works well, iPod, etc. Navigation is very good, nice combination of buttons for things that should be buttons and touch screen for things that should be touch screen. I had a 991 S for the last 4 years and the bluetooth worked consistently for the phone but sometimes for streaming audio it wouldn't sync for some reason.. some fluke. Restarting the car would fix it. I think Porsche now has a newer one coming in the Macans and shit (and probably the new 991 facelift) that has CarPlay.

The CarPlay one my buddy has in his new Z06 is absolute shit and doesn't work. I think if it did work it would be pretty good though.

Mercedes latest one I'm iffy on. It has a ton of features but they are hard to access and some are basically broken (the "Apps"). The navigation is pretty good but you have to use the touchPAD (not touchscreen) on the console to control it so it takes forever to put destinations in. But overall it works.

My sisters car with Ford Sync is actually pretty good. Seems like the cheap cars tend to get some of the best electronics.

I tend to use the USB audio feature the most on them, and just plug in a USB key with a bunch of tunes on it. Then obviously I use the nav but sometimes I use my phone for Google maps since that is generally better.

I'd probably use the iPod features on them but I'm too lazy to load up an old iPod since the USB drag and drop method is so much easier. Sometimes I bluetooth Spotify. Now I drive a Range Rover and the infotainment is pretty ancient but it works for USB/bluetooth/nav/ipod fine.
>>
I despise them because you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything, there's no tactile feel or muscle memory like with a set of buttons/knobs.
>>
Fucking terrible.
>>
>tfw there will never be standardised car audio software
>you will always have to use the manufacturers' retarded proprietary software
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have myfordtouch/sync in my 2014 F150. I like the Bluetooth audio for its convenience on short trips but I plug into usb if I actually want my music to sound good. I like having navigation and have had it in my last like six or seven vehicles now. But I really hate that in 2013 ford decided to get rid of the physical buttons for the heated/cooled seat controls and put them into the touch screen, so if I want to change them I have to back out of whatever screen I'm in, go to the hvac screen, then back to nav or whatever. that's my only complaint. otherwise it's a decent system that hasn't given me any problems regardless of all of the terrible things I've heard about sync.
>>
>>14012308
It's 200 bux for an android m8
>>
>>14012325
>But I really hate that in 2013 ford decided to get rid of the physical buttons for the heated/cooled seat controls and put them into the touch screen, so if I want to change them I have to back out of whatever screen I'm in, go to the hvac screen, then back to nav or whatever
Yeah, touch screens are great for controlling navigation, selecting tracks (out of order, there should still be a next and back button), and dialing phone numbers (keypad)... but for all other controls there should be a button. Controlling HVAC/seat controls/etc. via the screen that also handles your nav is absolute bullshit even if there is also a dash display (although it makes it not as offensive).
>>
tonsof knobs and dials
vs
low quality tablet fused into your dash

Its not like one is better than the other, they both suck.
>>
>>14012229
Some cars have both tactile and touch system
>>
I fucking hate them.
Just more shit that will inevitably break, and the dealer will assrape you when you go in to get it fixed.
>>
>>14016021
I (kia tech at a dealer) get 0.5hr max to r&r an audio unit, which is on the lower end of what the job should pay. Service doesn't make much off of the job. Parts however, they mark a $900 audio unit up 30% and love the 3 year warranty on all the units (an industry standard).
DON'T GET A LEASE FOR LONGER THAN 3 YEARS.
>>
>>14016009
I get the feeling the majority of people in this thread haven't used a lot of recent ones, at least not with any frequency.
>>
>>14016041
>implying ford and gm are up to date on anything
>le costanza.gifpeg
>>
File: 1348121749647.jpg (18KB, 428x469px) Image search: [Google]
1348121749647.jpg
18KB, 428x469px
>want a car with a radio
>now its gotta be a car themed facebook machine
>>
Touchscreens are shit through and through and I can't wait for the fad to end.

A while generation of cars, ruined.
>>
>>14016062
I haven't used the Ford or GM ones. Ford uses Sync, is that any good? I haven't played with it.

I'm >>14011994, I had a terrible time with GM's CarPlay unit in the Z06. It just didn't work consistently.

On all cars eventually I seem to get bluetooth drops and various occasional bugs when trying to go that route, but usually wired is reliable. So that was strange.

>>14016077
You'd rather scroll through letters to use the navigation rather than just tap on the letters? It takes a lot longer. Needs to be a mix of buttons for critical functions and then touchscreen for things like nav and phone - that works well. It just has to be the right mix. Again, Porsche got it right in my opinion.
>>
File: 1440220194008.jpg (138KB, 970x582px) Image search: [Google]
1440220194008.jpg
138KB, 970x582px
>>14016068
>want a more powerful engine in a base car
>only offered in a higher trim with dibbly dabbly screens and all other sorts of electronic nonsense
>>
>>14016083
No, I'd rather use fucking google maps because it works way better than all the garbage factory GPS options.

Ditch the screen entirely and put 3 knob hvac back and a normal radio.
>>
>>14016088
>No, I'd rather use fucking google maps because it works way better than all the garbage factory GPS options.
I can't argue with you there...

I still use the car satnavs though because then I'm not looking down at my phone.

>Ditch the screen entirely and put 3 knob hvac back and a normal radio.
Well for example on my Porsche and Range Rover they both have separate knobs (normal ones) for controlling HVAC. The touch screen on the Porsche is really only used for setting preferences, nav, phone (and hanging up and answering is still a button, you can do either), and selecting a tracker out of order on your iPod or USB stick.
>>
>>14016099
Buy a 5 dollar phone mount.
>>
>>14016101
That looks trashy in any decent car.
>>
>>14016103
Are you buying bright pink ones that clip into the vents or something?
>>
>>14016119
A bracket on your dash / windshield and a cable hanging down is downright taco-tier
>>
>>14016123
Why do you have a long cable? Charge cord? I just coil my excess around the plug.
>>
File: interiorofcar.jpg (221KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
interiorofcar.jpg
221KB, 1600x1067px
This is my cars interior. Notices the climate controls are all knobs and buttons and the radio though it has a touch screen is predominantly controlled by the 2 knobs. It is nice and I like how the screen gives a little more light in the cabin at night.
>>
>>14016162
Any cord is shit compared to something integrated. It takes a clean dash and now there is a cable running across to the charger and some cheap bracket holding a phone. I can understand for a road trip but under normal circumstances that's meh. I agree Google Maps is way better but most regular nav systems are good enough.
>>
File: 2014-Kia-Forte-interior.jpg (993KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
2014-Kia-Forte-interior.jpg
993KB, 1500x938px
Bow down to the superior 8" touchscreen with proper radio and hvac knobs already included.
>full auto hvac
>god-tier gps (in canada anyways) with loads of backcountry roads, ect
>>
Touch screens are worthless in cars and a fad
>>
Infotainment systems are not going away.

Soon you won't be able to buy a car without one.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/31/nhtsa-rear-view-cameras/7114531/

>>
File: 8422.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
8422.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
Not specifically my car but I've grown to really like this setup. It's not the MyTouch bullshit so it's pretty stable, but the Jukebox feature is an extreme afterthought and a pain to work with.
>>
>>14018387
>LHD
>Kia
>Superior
Rule 3
>>
>>14019879
Or they can just put the screen in the rear view mirror
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.