[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

71 comet with low miles, decent condition, not much rust, how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: Mercury_Comet_(Orange_Julep).jpg (396KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Mercury_Comet_(Orange_Julep).jpg
396KB, 1920x1152px
71 comet with low miles, decent condition, not much rust, how much should i pay? is it a good first car?
>>
If you have a another car you can switch to if something breaks down.
Sure.
>>
>>14009762
i dont really need a car, i will have collectors plates so i wont be commuting or anything. but are they prone to breaking down?
>>
ford maverick's, and by default the comet, are not good cars. I wouldn't pay more than 2.5k for one, but I wouldn't want one in the first place. those pinto based abominations where awful.

get yourself a 4cyl fox at least.
>>
>>14009768
ffs this has been asked so many times
go to >>13981009 for questions, they can help you with old cars
>>
>>14009778
sorry, this is my first time here, i dont know what the threads are to search for
>>14009773
i dont have much money to spend, this one is 1475 in us dollars and hopefully i can get it for less
>>
>>14009787
keep in mind, it is a 45 year old car. it will get shit fuel economy, it will need parts replaced all the time, it might not always work.

I honestly recommend you get something like a ford ranger or chevy S10. it will be a bit safer, it will drive the same or a bit better, and it will be a bit more reliable and less maintenance intensive.
>>
>>14009787
sure thats a good start to an entry level classic. Parts are as hard as anything to find, generally follow the rules for inspecting/buying any normal car, add looking for rust and looking for any future repairs (ie will it need new bushes, tyres, excessive mileage etc.)

They're old cars, they're going to break down but they're pretty easy to fix. If its your first time, its adviseable to have a reliable DD for backup incase this comet fucks up
>>
>>14009787
also post CL ad.
>>
>>14009806
hes selling like 10 cars, barely any details on any of them. but i think theyve been stored indoors, good condition which is good since im on the west coast, rains like 300 days a year here hard to find any car that isnt a rusty shitbucket. hes like 5 mins away so ill just go take a look tomorrow.
>>14009804
yeah my dad is pretty good with cars, i dont know anything. he will take a look with me. was just wondering if its a good car to start with
>>
>>14009837
what are you looking for? a first classic car or do you just want a car?
>>
>>14009843
something to work on and fix up with my dad to learn more about cars. and something that looks cool and is somewhat fun to drive. i probably wont be driving it often or commuting or anything so i dont care too much about maitenance or gas mileage. a classic is probably better for me cause of insurance, without collectors plates ill be paying a ton of money for something i dont use often
>>
>>14009853
Just be careful, some cars are money pits that break often but others are perfectly fine. Try to get a really good starting point when buying a car, as the less problems the better
>>
File: DSC_2223 edit.jpg (3MB, 2500x1661px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2223 edit.jpg
3MB, 2500x1661px
>>14009853
if you can, I would recommend getting an old truck like an F100 or C10. might not get as much mileage, but parts are a lot more plentiful, a lot cheaper, and it isn't as much of a POS as the maverick. It still has an intrinsic use as a truck, even though it is quite old. also they are DIRT cheap
>>
>>14009858
alright, thanks. i dont mind putting in a lot of work but i dont want to put in a lot of money. hopefully im looking for something that i can profit off of or make my money back if i dont like it after i fix it up.
>>
>>14009867
I wish you luck man, it wouldn't hurt to look up NADA values of restored examples of these cars, or possible owner reviews.
>>
>>14009862
>>14009874
thanks man. i will keep an eye out but there isnt much selection out here, im kind of in the middle of nowhere. and most old cars are too rusty to have a hope of getting collectors plates for
>>
File: DSC_2237 shooped.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2237 shooped.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14009879
I feel that. where are you located?
>can't drive my truck for 3 months
FUCK
>>
>>14009759
>71 anything
>first car
Are you retarded?
>>
>>14009867
ive seen people spend 25 grand in receipts fixing a car, only they can't sell it for the asking price of 9500. You can't gain the value off repairs, i recommend you spend the money for your personal enjoyment. It shouldn't matter how much you spend on the car, because its about the end result of liking the car.

You will lose money, but if you like it its not that bad. deal with it
>>
>>14009759
>low miles
Mileage is basically irrelevant on a 45 year old car. Stuff gets old and its either already been replaced or needs to be replaced regaurdless of mileage. Hell on a car that old low miles probably means its been sitting which is a bad thing.
>>
>>14009787
>don't have money
How do you expect to keep a car that old running without money?
>>
>>14009884
small island in bc. have to take a couple ferries and drive for a while to even take a look at most stuff, and then potentially pay to tow it all the way back. so having something so close is appealing. nice truck btw
>>
File: IMG_0483.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0483.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>14009905
This is a Holden Kingswood HJ 1975 in pic related

I travelled 170km to see this, as it was advertised at 1850 (cheap). Looked great from the photo's. When i got around to see it, it was the rustiest, thrashed, clapped out piece of shit ive ever seen. A base model car, unknown to me it was an ex-taxi, the underbody was completely rusted out with holes in the floor pan and rusted coil springs and fucked bushes. the interior was a complete mess with years of use. the paint was flaking everywhere, the gas tank rusted out and the steelies were found in a paddock

Dissapointed, it was borderline FUBAR and definitely overpriced. If somethings wrong with this maverick do not be afraid to walk away
>>
>>14009887
yeah probably. but why?
>>
>>14009924
don't listen to him. what you should be worried about is
>1971 car
>no experience
>no clue
>no money
get a job definitely, but fixing these things is easy as shit.
>>
>>14009768

Everything made in America in the 70's was "prone to breaking down". That's particularly true 40+ years later.
>>
>>14009773

You're right but then if it's a project/toy they're fine cars. Building a 302 Maverick to play in is a fun thing to do but daily driver or first car?

>not even once
>>
>>14009928
i have money and my dad has a lot of experience. i just dont want to spend a ton on a first car. ill see how much repairs will cost i guess
>>
I've got a buddy who DDs a '72 Comet (pic related, Fraser Valley BC) as his first car, bought it in probably similar condition to the one you're looking at, with the inline 6 engine. I love the car, they're fun as hell, but in the last 3 years of driving it he has had to completely rebuild the transmission from a kit after the front seal blew on the highway, completely rebuild the rear end including the diff and suspension, install a manual choke to manage engine temperament without losing his mind, and replace countless misc parts to deal with leaks, vacuum issues, and performance issues. It's a hell of a project, and having it as his daily driver has been a pretty huge pain the ass a lot of times, but he hasn't once considered getting rid of it, still loves it because it looks dope, it's fun to drive, and it's easy to fix.

If you're going to get an early 70's or late 60's classic you're going to be dealing with problems all of the time, that's just the nature of DDing a classic, you have to be ready and willing to put money into it and learn the vehicle back and forth. Some are more of a pain in the ass than others. The Comet, from my experience and apparently a lot of other people here's experience, is more fragile than a lot of other options out there. You'll be jumping into the classic game blind with a guaranteed challenge. The easiest option is always to start with old trucks, Chevy pickups from the late 60's to '87 are about as easy as it gets for maintenance. There are also plenty of classic Ford pickup daily drivers here on /o/ that also claim the same.

Get a Comet if you want to, but be ready for a challenge.
>>
>>14009957
Don't pay more than $3000 for a classic that hasn't been restored to a reasonable degree. If it's just in running condition with minimal rust and a stock paint job it's never worth more $2500, unless it's something rare, Comets and Mavericks aren't that kind of rare.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.