[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright O, I work at a garage. Today i got offered to buy a 2004

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 2015-12-07 15.00.54.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07 15.00.54.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Alright O, I work at a garage. Today i got offered to buy a 2004 grand cherokee limited for 2200. Its got the 4.7 v8 powertecwith only 100k miles and its in relatively decent condition minus a few generic suspension parts due to the shitty roads in NYC (control arms, ball joints, tie rods) which for the owner it would've costed about 1500$ to do, but I can do it myself for about $700. This would be my first real car although id still consider it a beater.

Give me your thoughts. Is it worth it, should I invest in this? I already know about the shit MPG and the memeworthy hp on this engine, but it seems decent. By KBB im getting it at a steal.

Rip me a new one.
>>
>>13999591
I wouldn't buy a PowerTech V8 with 100k on it unless I knew the owner. They're very sensitive to overheating and having the wrong coolant put into them. Run away if it's Quadradrive equipped, people never put the right fluids into the transfer case and differentials.
>>
>>13999608
I have all the service records for the vehicle as theyve been done at my shop and it seems like theres been a ton of money invested in it over the years. It is quadradrive equipped, is it that faulty and unreliable?
>>
>>13999665
It's fine, if you put the specified fluid in it. If it's been well maintained, then go for it. Although, if you don't go off road, I can't see why you would want one and even then I question why you would want one other than it being cheap. I looked for one for a while and deemed it unsuitable. Too much modification required to get it where I wanted it.
>>
>>13999726
Its cheap and I could make a moderate profit off of it if i didnt like it, while at the same time having a car for a bit. Cheap parts too. I was a little skeptical of the quadradrive as well. It seems like I could easily squeeze 80K out of this engine.
>>
>>13999591
For 2200 bones I'd take it, especially if you have the maintenance history. The only thing that might hurt is MPG, but if that's no big deal I'd go for it.
>>
I'd hold out for a decent Montero or a 96-02 4Runner.

Fuck anything built by Chrysler
>>
>>14000269
>I'd hold out for a decent Montero
No, he'd waste that.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (165KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
165KB, 1280x720px
The 04 Quadra-drive is the best four wheel drive system Jeep has ever manufactured. It's better than than 2015 system. That Jeep would make one HELL of a winter vehicle in NYC, and parts are absolutely dirt cheep.

If its your primary mode of transportation, it might get old. It's a boring SUV, face it. But it excels in every aspect for 4x4 or winter vehicle. I'd ignore the other advice in this thread, sounds like a bunch of younger 20 year olds. If you know the service records and the owner, and you feel confident you could fix the underpinnings, pull the trigger anon.
>>
>>14000372
As shitty as Mitsubishi build quality was only Chrysler matches it and makes it worse. This is the same car that has a exposed fuel tank under the trunk at a 30deg angle that any small car can rear end, slide under, and puncture for Pinto Car Fire fun.
>>
>>14000421
>As shitty as Mitsubishi build quality was
No, it is excellent. The Montero was worth every bit of the 30-50,000 dollars it cost when new. OP has no use for a Montero, they're not meant for what he does and he will probably dislike it.
>>
>>14000403
>I'd ignore the other advice in this thread, sounds like a bunch of younger 20 year olds
You're a dumbass. QD was good, but not the best. QDII was the best. Unfortunately it was still in a Jeep.
>>
One more thing. There's nothing "wrong" with that Jeep. There's no inside information lemon press you're going to find here. Everything anyone here says is just going to be a subjective "No I don't like Chrysler, I'm a Mitsubishi buy, FUCK THAT" kind of advice.

Essentially, there's nothing you need to specifically be worried about, it's a good buy. Every advice you're going to get here is going to be someone pushing their personal agenda. They can fuck off and buy their own vehicle, you buy what you enjoy. Because life's short, one day you'll be old like me and only upset you didn't take more risks buying things that you personally cared about, instead of taking someone else's advice. So screw their favorite food and go get yours.

Picture related.
>>
>>14000465
As usual someone here has no clue what they are talking about. The PowerTech 4.7 DOES have quite a few known issues. They're sensitive to heat and they WILL, eventually, drop valve seats. If you buy these, plan on having the heads rebuilt at some point. Then there's Quadradrive. No one uses friction modifier in this except the original owners and people who actually care about going off road. That's a minority, and most of the ones you will find for sale with Quadradrive will be irrevocably damaged and require the entire differential carrier to be replaced for about 700 dollars each.
>>
WJ's were amazing vehicles for their time. I went against O's advice and bought a 00' Laredo with every option available at the time and 148K miles and I haven't regretted it since. Mine is the I6 with Selec-Trac, and it has never failed me and HAS seen some abuse. Has the most comfy interior of any car I've ever had too.

I bought mine to get around in winter in south VA, and to get around on my property plagued with mud holes. Short of a wrangler, it was the best option to me for the price. Any other vehicle you get for price will be hard to find/base model as all shit.

I want a 4.7 really bad myself. I've thought about trading my 4.0.

The only thing I am constantly annoyed by is ground clearance. This can be combated with a lift kit at the cost of the risk of getting death wobble and some minor highway instability. To get bigger tires (anything at all above 29") you have to trim fenders unless you have something like 31's and a 4 inch lift (you might pull it off with a 2 inch). I have managed to bottom out multiple times. To put things in perspective, a stock wrangler manages to get 11 inches of GC while a WJ gets something around 9 inches.
>>
>>14000489
You could say that's all just speculation caused by poor ownership. I've seen many 4.7s last into the 180K range with no or minor issues while some last 70K miles with warped heads etc. The same can be said for any vehicle, but it goes without saying that QD definitely has some unique maintenance to it. It is basically worthless when QD fails unless you want torque to never go to certain wheels.
>>
>>14000462
>>14000489

No, I assure you, I'm not a dumbass. And I'm not going to sit around and debate for hours with a bunch of kids. The truths is: viscous gerotor's are superior to electronic LSD's, particularly when on both front and rear. And if you're talking about the QD2 of old, those vehicles are beat, and the QD2 of new comes in the most tasteless plastic garbage imaginable. You don't like that opinion, go buy something else.

The 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadradrive is the bargain of the decade for utility or offroad capability per dollar. As the guy above me said, comfortable, capable, and cheap. <--- my agenda opinion.

And as for friction modifier to be used with wet clutch packs. All of that can be rebuilt for relatively nothing, far less than the replacement cost of 700 per differential. However, a failure of that magnitude would be completely ruled out with a test drive around the block. The engine failure is also acute, and will either be present or will not be.

Is the check engine light on? Does the 4x4 work? Yes? Yes. Buy it. Or don't... Who cares what you do.
>>
Hmm, i have found some literature on the faulty valve seats, but nothing super-solid. I am very into the idea of getting it, but im afraid of buying into a ticking time bomb. I can guarantee id take good care of it, but how can I ascertain the damage thats already been done internally? If my engine seizes in a week im going to be rather pissed because im living check to check right now.
>>
>>14000595
>You could say that's all just speculation caused by poor ownership
You couldn't. This was happening to people who had maybe 60,000 miles on 3 year old cars back in the day. It's a real problem.
>>
>>14000618
QD works and no warning lights are on, also just checked to make sure and mileage was never reset, and it doesnt appear the overheating issues are present although it is rather cold up here at the moment.
>>
>>14000618
>No, I assure you, I'm not a dumbass.
I assure you, you are.
> viscous gerotor's are superior to electronic LSD'
Here's exhibit 1. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know that QDII still uses gerotor pump limited slip differentials. Only now the pump is electronically controlled for better response and finer precision.
>And if you're talking about the QD2 of old, those vehicles are beat, and the QD2 of new comes in the most tasteless plastic garbage imaginable. You don't like that opinion, go buy something else.
I don't give a shit about your opinion. WKs and XKs are NOT beat by any sense of the imagination. Certainly not more than the average WJ.
>All of that can be rebuilt for relatively nothing
No, they can't. You cannot rebuild the VariLoks. Exhibit 2 on you not knowing anything.
>However, a failure of that magnitude would be completely ruled out with a test drive around the block.
And here we have exhibit 3. You MIGHT be able to tell if the transfer case differential is totally fucked by driving around in a parking lot taking tight turns and seeing if it scrubs. But there is only one way to test the front and rear VariLoks.
>>14000639
Just check that it has the correct G-05 coolant and you should be fine (I think the factory stuff is red, but there's other G-05 that's a different color). If the radiator has been replaced just run away. Look up the way to test the VariLoks. It will require two people.
>>
>>14000639

Then do it. The vehicle will only devaluate more if it's not running, and I'm sure you wouldn't let that happen. It's a well made machine, and if kept up, will last a lifetime - although I'm sure you'd find something else after you get bored. Finding that year with the quadradrive is only getting harder.
>>
>>14000697
After 11 years I'd be surprised if the radiator hadn't been replaced but the coolant color is Def something I'm going to look into. As for the variloks, how would I test them?
>>
>>14000806
If everything checks out tomorrow I'm going to pick it up. Truth be told I'm quite excited.
>>
>>14001012
>After 11 years I'd be surprised if the radiator hadn't been replaced
You shouldn't be, that isn't long and 100,000 miles isn't much. If it's not, stay away. You can listen to me, since I obviously know about the WJ, or you can listen to some old moron who just has some weird hard on for it.
>>
File: 20151206_113832.jpg (2MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151206_113832.jpg
2MB, 3984x2988px
>>14000595
Bought my buddies 07 after it dropped a lifter and destroyed cylinder 1 somehow.
Thing is a bitch to work on as all the clearances in the bay are tight.
Pulled the old motor and dropped a brand new rebuild motor in its place, just buttoning up the accessories and such this week.
Get this though, motor kicked at 237k...not bad for a jeep I know got the shit kicked out of it constantly and definitely had poor maintenance most of its life.
>>
File: The-Road-To.jpg (87KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
The-Road-To.jpg
87KB, 600x348px
>>14001020

Enjoy that feeling. Get the other anon's info, he'll help you repair it if something goes wrong.
>>
>>14001266
How do you drop a lash adjuster?
>>
>>14001326
Meant to say rocker.
Somehow it came off completely and my buddy limped it home which didn't help.
Good compression on 7/8 cylinders and 0 on the other.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.